Simpletons Question - Tyre Markings

RossWoods93

Cuckmeister General
Platinum Member
This should be an easy one for many!

There's two markers on the tyre, one of which is identifying the legal tread, but what's the raised marker for?

I'm pretty sure in the past I've changed a set of fronts because the tread has met this marker (shaking my head and expecting some well deserved stick for that!)

fbe67fb7f300a93aca11b37f512c8ac8.jpg

I believe it's the marker for German users. Their legal limit is 4mm.

IIRC this isn't 100% accurate, I believe Germany have the same laws as us regarding the legal limit of tyres being 1.6mm.

I would guess that marker is where the manufacturer recommends the tyre to be changed. I'd say that marker is somewhere around 3mm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC this isn't 100% accurate, I believe Germany have the same laws as us regarding the legal limit of tyres being 1.6mm.

I would guess that marker is where the manufacturer recommends the tyre to be changed. I'd say that marker is somewhere around 3mm?

There just such a difference between the two markers

2ff30463722a31acee17c34e2bdae6d3.jpg

I checked them today (only replaced them a few months back) and was thinking "surely they're not close to the marker already?"

Turned the tyre and had a look, then found two indicators as such!

Definitely swapped the last set over on the first marker in this post though, someone's had a steal on part worn tyres haha!

Get a tyre depth reader or a vernier calliper. Wouldn't be trusting the manufacturers to say when to change the tyre :wink:

Similar Thread Suggestions