Should I get one?

Forget anything else 197 is the car if you are a driver
200 is a lookalike, 1#2 wS the warm up

I can only presume you're on drugs to make such vague and sweeping statements.

Don't underestimate the improvements on a 200 both on and off the road on the limit and a 182 will pull away from both in a straight line.

I can only presume you're on drugs to make such vague and sweeping statements.

Don't underestimate the improvements on a 200 both on and off the road on the limit and a 182 will pull away from both in a straight line.

I've always wanted a 182 trophy. My first car was a Clio 1.2 16v, I remember a trophy pulling up next to me at a petrol station and thinking to myself that I'd have one one day!

Not sure how well you'd fair in a crash in one though?

I'm guessing the 200's chassis has come on a bit in terms of safety and handling sine then though?

Morning fella!

Well, you know my thoughts on getting one... I think you'd be more than happy with either a 197 or a 200 - they're both cracking little cars!

I was the same with choosing mine... I'd had a little 1.2 Clio Dynamique as my first car, and it just felt natural to move onto a meatier Clio - I love 'em to bits!

Will no doubt have a good chin wag this evening about it!

Welcome to the site dude. If you can afford it I wouldn't get a 197, the 200 has all the little improvements that make it a better car. Although personally I prefer the looks of the 197, they do look dated next to the 200.
Just go get one, you won't regret it, they are fantastic cars.

I've always wanted a 182 trophy. My first car was a Clio 1.2 16v, I remember a trophy pulling up next to me at a petrol station and thinking to myself that I'd have one one day!

Not sure how well you'd fair in a crash in one though?

I'm guessing the 200's chassis has come on a bit in terms of safety and handling sine then though?

I don't think they're particularly dangerous in a crash though obviously not as safe as the 197/200.

The 200 cup chassis just takes everything that little bit further/stiffer/harder, the gearbox has different gearing which makes it better on the road but doesn't sacrifice anything on the track. The engine has been fettled for a bit (a very small bit) more hp but more importantly extra low/mid torque.

The looks are a bit Marmite but then in my opinion I don't like 197s in any colour but white, yet the 200 looks just as good in any colour IMO!

Really I'd suggest trying to take one of each out, or if you're close by the a meet pop in and I'm sure folk will be more than happy to show you around one :smile:

The mk2 Clio got 4 star at euro ncap, the highest at the time they were tested. The mk3 is 5 star, but obviously the newer the car, generally the better the crash star rating. The mk2 Laguna was the FIRST EVER car to get 5 stars, so Renault have been on top of the safety game for the last 10 or so years.

If its fun your after...keep your r32 and buy a 172 for a grand. As fun as the 197/200 and cheap enough to take out the garage or track day when your in the mood. My friend has a sripped out one and its brill.

Anyway 200's are currently being px on here at the rate of knots....for cars that maybe not so much fun but better all rounders.

Last edited:
Just my 2 pennith-

Its a tough choice to make on what to buy in this market & it depends on how much disposable income / money you have-

Firstly I would say dont buy new- however it would seem you have already covered that-

I would then decide if you want out & out handling ability over looks as 'some' people prefer the front end of the 197-
I must admit now though the 200 looks have really grown on me-

If you want the gadgets then the best spec to get is:
200 FF with
Cup Chassis, Recaros, Speedlines, & cup Spoiler- ( monitor if req)

If you choose to lose the gadgets & get a cup- ideally you you still want all of the above + A/C-

In terms of options- I would advise everyone buying a used car to get one with recaros, but thats just me- desirability factor- anyone who says you cant live with it day to day ( or the cup chassis) needs to man up-

Also a consideration in buying a 200 over a 197 is are you going to make the most of its ability over the 197, the tweaks made on the chassis & susp on the 200 do step it well above the 197 ( or should I say top spec R27)- although you will only exploit this on the limit & driving it very hard-
I do notice currently switching between the 2 - the 200 is more ridgid & closing speeds to roundabouts in the 200 is exceptional-

Also, I would say dont bother with any standard 197's - especially old ones as they are awful to sell on---

I would punt the following into the mix for you- the real factor boils down to money

r27 197- £8000-£9000
197 Cup with all the trimmings ( mentioned above) £8500- £9750
200 Cup with all the trimmings £10750 ( for an early 9plate)- all the way up to 15k
200 FF with all the trimmings £11250 ( for an early one) - all the way up to 16k

Hero Spec

is FF storm Grey With Everything thrown in ~ 15/16k- thats on a pedistool above liquid yellow-/ Alien Green-

Glacier white is a common colour but looks brilliant with the contrasting black on white-

also if you get a 200 dont get one with the anthricite pack...

S

PS Ive sold a few R32's- not in a league of fun to the 200's- however sound epic!!

Well thanks very much Steve, slating 197s as a used buy, that's going to do their resale value a good turn. What's so wrong with a standard 197? How come there is a website that was started by a guy who had a 197 ff if they aren't worth bothering with? I find your opinion a little harsh and wrong.

Well thanks very much Steve, slating 197s as a used buy, that's going to do their resale value a good turn. What's so wrong with a standard 197? How come there is a website that was started by a guy who had a 197 ff if they aren't worth bothering with? I find your opinion a little harsh and wrong.

Thats a bit like blaming me for the horse bolting for one statment a year / 18 months after its bolted-

If you read what I said instead of ad libbing- I said they are awful to sell on not awful cars-
A standard 197 is a great car - very capable drive etc etc-

Also when the website was founded the 197 had just been released & it was the 'new kid on the block' & of course was the 'car to have...'

However the fact is they are a bitch to sell ( esp the early ones), & their residuals have plummeted- Probably due to a multitude of reasons-
Better models within the range ( R27 )
Facelift model available- 200
Known Gearbox issues
minimal option on Early models
Colour range on early models limited-

I could go on....

Its not my fault so dont shoot the messenger-, Im just laying out the facts to a potential buyer-

Take this car as a prime example-

Ashley Autos contacted my to possibly trade my Albi blue 197-

I listed that Albi on the 17/01/2011-
They rung me around a week after it had been listed-

so for ease say the 19th of Jan-

At that time they had a black 197 for sale on at £8995 ( & they had it for a while)

http://www.ashleyautos.co.uk/30160/used-cars.htm
Here it is today still for sale -£7695

Thats now over 6 months to sell a car that still isnt sold-

Dont shoot the messenger---- :rain:

S

Last edited:
My only advice is buy one because your mind must already be halfway there and your not gonna know till you get one... You wont be dissappointed though.

Last edited:
What I'm saying Steve is that you didn't give the 197 in a good light based purley on resale values. You gave no value to it. The fact is, if a car is in bad condition and is over priced, no one will buy it.
Perhaps the reasons you don't sell them quickly is because you describe them as 'standard', which, if I didn't no better, would suggest that it was the worst one Renault made. Cup woud stand out more than standard. Perhaps the other reason is that because you don't sell 197s now, no one will come to you to buy one.
Also, as a trade seller who only sells cups, r27s etc, telling someone to buy the cars you sell is a bit misleading.
Sorry, just my opinion.

Steve....I disagree. Show me a car like the 197 that isn't hard to sell currently? Oh, I think you've got the prices the wrong way round. A R27 will always be worth more than a 197 cup, even specced the same. Furthermore, I think the 197 v 200 debate is a completely daft one. No more than the 197 v 182 debate. The 200 is a better car, no doubt and why wouldn't Renault produce a car that wasn't 'better'. Its called evolution and good marketing. The worthwhile debate is when cars are priced them same, otherwise its like saying heres a egg timer and here's a rolex...both can be used to measure time?
The 200 is also 5 Grand+ over the price of a good 197. Renault and traders will also tell you its better because there are more margins for profit in newer cars than old stuff.

Yep, I can hear them now....I'll do you a favour and take your 197 off you for 2 grand cause you know how hard they are to sell. Oh, let me show you this 200 for 15 grand (much improved)....can't afford it sir(?) have you heard of pcp????

Last edited:
A cup will never be worth more than a cup i would say. Unless buyers are actually insain.

a 197 Cup on an 8 plate with the decent options is worth more than say an R27 on an 07/57- * JUST by a few quid- *
* My comparison was using a top specced 197 Cup V a standard R27 *-

THe reason for this comparison is the buyer is trying to get best spec for his budget & you cannot spec an R27 ( other than climate & Xenons)
So in terms of pricing you will be able to get a high specced 197 Cup that pans out more expensive than an R27, If you also note I made a crossover on the 2

Aaron- why make a comment about what im selling- making it some kind of personal matter-
?? A typical 197 owner getting all defensive-

I cant help it if the ' market ' hasnt favoured your type of car- & im afriad a 197 will only be described as a standard because thats what it is, you can tag on 'cup pack' if you have it, or I could call it a basic 197..
Whatever you like ---

If you honestly think im advising a potential buyer to buy car 'X' because I sell them then sadly your wrong & more importantly dont know me from adam-

Ive given the guy advise on whats the best car based on residual values, the fact I drive them all & the choice based around what money he 'could' have available-

Also, If I was trying to flog him a car I would be PMing him or highlighting what I am selling-
however seeing as I havent got any cars listed in my section thats quite difficult-

Thats the difference between inpartial advice & bias one-

S

PS Itchy
The 200 is also 5 Grand+ over the price of a good 197. Renault and traders will also tell you its better because there are more margins for profit in newer cars than old stuff

Its nowt to do with Margins- you seem to think I have put prices up in the thread to suit myself-
THe prices highligted have a good crossover on R27 V 197 CUP

& also the difference between the cheapest R27 & a 200 is only ~ 3k

At the end of the day you guys can argue the toss- whether you like it or not ive given the guy the right advice for HIM, it may not suit everyone but thats the market

Last edited:
Just a last comment on what I would buy TODAY

If I had ~8.5/8750k
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2784966.htm

If I had ~ 9/9250k
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2900765.htm

if I had 10k in my back pocket-

( assuming its HPI clear)

This Car
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-CLIO-...3330867?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f0ac08d33

plus Front Splitter & Skirts + Cup Spoiler & KW varient 3's-
JOB DONE -

Would look epic & a 59 plate to boot-

Or if I had 11k-

http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/community/forum/Forum_postst79001/clio-200-59-plate/Default.aspx

Any more budget & you can think about some of the exclusive colours-

S

Last edited: