Service Schedule, Cambelt etc.

its 5 years for the 197 and 6 years for the 200 I believe. Mine is a 197 and had it done in December

As Chris says its 5 years for a 197. Mine has just turned 5 with only 18000 on the clock and I've had to go and get the belts done.

Prevention is better than cure.

Is your car a Clio197? The link you posted was for the Megane?

I've recently been talking to Renault who advised me that on my 197 (57 plate '08 car) it was 6 years (confirmed by two dealers, one of which in writing).

Its all in the link to my thread Rogue posted up :smile:

This was being discussed a few days ago, some of the later 197's have the 6 year schedule, it seems to be the 08 plate onwards. Mine is 57 plate and is showing as 5 years (it's overdue)

Is your car a Clio197? The link you posted was for the Megane?

I've recently been talking to Renault who advised me that on my 197 (57 plate '08 car) it was 6 years (confirmed by two dealers, one of which in writing).

Its all in the link to my thread Rogue posted up :smile:

doesn't matter, ignore it. Do it at 5 years and use the older 197 schedule if you give a **** about your car

This was being discussed a few days ago, some of the later 197's have the 6 year schedule, it seems to be the 08 plate onwards. Mine is 57 plate and is showing as 5 years (it's overdue)

Mine is 57 too but shows as 6years.

doesn't matter, ignore it. Do it at 5 years and use the older 197 schedule if you give a **** about your car

Seems a bit extreme, so long as the cam belt stays in one piece (I've not seen one fail on here under 6years) then it makes no odds to the car?

Obviously it makes complete sense to do it every five years. But id be extremely disappointed if the working life span of a belt was only around 5 years. (surely they must realise various casual owners won't always abide by the schedule - therefore engineering the belt to work a good few years more)..

Mine is 57 too but shows as 6years.

Seems a bit extreme, so long as the cam belt stays in one piece (I've not seen one fail on here under 6years) then it makes no odds to the car?

it's not just cambelts they've changed. The 200 schedule puts the air filter and polen filter on 2 year/24k intervals. To my mind that is neglect

My 197 was 8 months overdue for cambelt when I bought it, on 54k. The idler pulleys were sounding Rooooooooouuuuuuugh!!!! That's 4 months under 6 years.

That's the same pully that went on mine before I had my belt done.

That was at 5 years and 49k

Right, this has got me thinking. Mine's 56 plate and done 53,000. Looks like I need to start considering saving some pennies quick!

There's Holdcroft here in Crewe, do people know if they do good work? I might give them a call in a bit to get a quote.

it's not just cambelts they've changed. The 200 schedule puts the air filter and polen filter on 2 year/24k intervals. To my mind that is neglect

My 197 was 8 months overdue for cambelt when I bought it, on 54k. The idler pulleys were sounding Rooooooooouuuuuuugh!!!! That's 4 months under 6 years.

those filter intervals are a joke....the 197 air filter and pollen filter are quite small...

as for belts there will be a "margin of error" but how much/long who really knows as there are external factors effecting belt and pulley wear...

its safe to assume that 5yrs theres plenty of time margin whereas at 6yrs there wont be!!!

Last edited:
Right, this has got me thinking. Mine's 56 plate and done 53,000. Looks like I need to start considering saving some pennies quick!

There's Holdcroft here in Crewe, do people know if they do good work? I might give them a call in a bit to get a quote.

overdue by well over a year, so yes I'd look at getting it done as soon as you can.

I'd get over to Birchdown in Malpas if I were you. Speak to Steve or Andy, they're good guys

Check out Birchdown Autos mate, not a million miles from you and have a decent reputation for knowing their Renaults :smile:

What do you think about one year service interval for oils? I know 5 litres of 5w40 castrol dont cost much including filter.. but labour in renault is silly priced for so small service. They told something like 150£

I have (and always will) keep to the 1yr service schedule, but I change my oil at 6k (in between services) anyway.

The belts will be staying until 6years, if thats what Renault have told me, and its good enough for EVERY 200 that was made, it'll do for me. Also means I can wait till after my wedding and honeymoon to pay for them!

overdue by well over a year, so yes I'd look at getting it done as soon as you can.

I'd get over to Birchdown in Malpas if I were you. Speak to Steve or Andy, they're good guys

Called them, spoke to Steve who definately sounds like he knows what he's talking about. I think I'll be taking it down there to get it done.

Yeah I was looking at getting it done last year but moved in with the missus shortly after getting the car and all of the cash kinda went on that. I need to start looking after her again (the car) so I think I'll have a full service whilst there and set on the road to getting her back to her former glory.

What do you think about one year service interval for oils? I know 5 litres of 5w40 castrol dont cost much including filter.. but labour in renault is silly priced for so small service. They told something like 150£

well I charge £150 for a full 12k service, with genuine parts and oil. If Renault want that just for oil and filter they're very greedy. Still needs doing once a year though.

well I charge £150 for a full 12k service, with genuine parts and oil. If Renault want that just for oil and filter they're very greedy. Still needs doing once a year though.

Yep that 180€ (150£) quote is just the cabin pollen filter+oil filter & labour for doing oil service. That price is with my own oils!..

Similar Thread Suggestions