Sean's 197T - RIP Albi :(

Epic epic post Sean mate. Properly buzzing for you reading that. Glowing reports for the work of RS Tuning as always. And the most important part is you can really tell how much of a smile it's put on your face.

Figures are more than plenty, it must feel nuts.

The second part of the post made interesting reading too.

Simply quality post mate. You must be knackered!

Knackered you might be; and bearing in mind today is the pinnacle of a shed-load of effort - your post quite brief.

Clearly obvious your ecstatic though. I bet it's rapid indeed.

The fact your calling it a day there tells me it feels beyond your what you expected and know it's more than enough.....

Chuffed for you buddy.

Would love to hear some more gory details when your back on this planet though :smile:

Reactions: Sean197
Just back from Leeds, after setting off from home at 3.30am lol
Spent a while talking to Paul - top guy who had all the time in the world for me, mega customer service and I really can't talk highly enough of him and rs tuning - and Specky, who is mental lol
Spoke through what I wanted and as it's primarily a road car we agreed on 280bhp and 280 lb-ft. He got to work fitting the 250 turbo, and noticed an oil leak. Turned out the turbo oil pipe was cracked, and had sprayed oil over the block. So this was fixed and the 630cc injectors were fitted, then the car was mapped. In the end it made 277.5bhp and 285 lb-ft torque. It could have made more but the exhaust system is holding it back. Honestly I'm not fussed, Paul took me round the block in the car once finished and it's ridiculously quick. So that'll do me, other than tidying the car up cosmetically that's my spending done.
I also had an interesting chat with Paul re a few things;

This conversion "doesn't need a megane radiator". Rs tuning don't bother with one with their conversion builds. The engine will sit at 90-odd degrees all day quite happily. So in short I won't be bothering.
Nor will I be bothering with the engine dynamics cooler thermostat, as this is also not necessarily.
Most importantly, I won't be using waterless coolant. Apparently it's highly flammable, and if you have a water leak and it catches a hot enough engine part, up it goes lol So that's the bottle I bought going on ebay lol. It's banned in some racing series for this reason.
It took around 5 hours to fit the turbo and injectors, and Paul only charged me for two. Now that's customer service.
Overall, the car is mega. It pulls and holds boost all the way to the red line, and it did 35.5mpg on the way home at a steady 70mph. I'm now even more excited for Spa.
I'll put a pic of the graph up tomorrow, but now I'm off to sleep lol
Yes Paul is a lovely guy so you have a flying machine now enjoy it bud

Epic epic post Sean mate. Properly buzzing for you reading that. Glowing reports for the work of RS Tuning as always. And the most important part is you can really tell how much of a smile it's put on your face.

Figures are more than plenty, it must feel nuts.

The second part of the post made interesting reading too.

Simply quality post mate. You must be knackered!

I honestly wouldn't trust anyone else to do 'tuning' work on my car now, even though it meant a 9.5hour round trip and £80 in petrol! Paul is such a knowledgeable guy, and really nice too. He was happy to answer all my questions (and I had plenty, about half an hour's worth in fact) and not once did he try to sell me anything or try to convince me to get RS Tuning to do any work for me. I honestly was blown away by the customer service and can't speak highly enough of them.
Incidentally, if you're ever there, talk to Specky about his E92 BMW. It's now running the 4ltr M3 V8, and he casually told me how he cut the roof off to fit the M3's carbon roof, like he was talking about giving a car a service lol His Tigra was running around 700bhp, and the engine is now going in his mk1 MX5, and he's putting an M3 front end on his 3 series estate.

This was also there - http://www.mattwoodsphotography.com/blog/vw-lupo-performance-vw-magazine - 20v Turbo Lupo with Nitrous. Looked amazing in the flesh and sounded even more gorgeous.

Knackered you might be; and bearing in mind today is the pinnacle of a shed-load of effort - your post quite brief.

Clearly obvious your ecstatic though. I bet it's rapid indeed.

The fact your calling it a day there tells me it feels beyond your what you expected and know it's more than enough.....

Chuffed for you buddy.

Would love to hear some more gory details when your back on this planet though :smile:

I could go for a full 3" system, but for the sake of 10-15bhp it's not worth the cost. The torque is about as high as I'm willing to go on a standard bottom end anyway. Interestingly, Paul said the ARP rod bolts did next to nothing anyway, so I won't be chasing any more figures.
As ever, the proof is in the power/torque delivery rather than the outright figures, and the way the car drives is totally transformed. On the standard engine it made 233bhp and you could feel the boost dropping off with the standard turbo. Now with the 250 turbo it pulls hard through the rev range, and it almost feels like a large-engined n/a car.
I'll be leaving it there as far as the engine goes, it's not a track car, it's something fun which I can drive to work doing 35mpg then take for a blast when I feel like it and do 23mpg...

I'll upload the graphs tonight, got to work and found that my data cable to link my laptop to my phone doesn't work any more.

Full on brilliance mate. And yeah I do intend to visit RS Tuning at some point in the near future so I'll make sure I have some BMW banter. That V8 in the E9X M3s is quite the unit! And the carbon roof mod is actually a fairly regular one in the M3 world thanks to the CSL.

Tigra sounds absolutely mental :smiley:

And I remember seeing that Lupo in PVW. Absolutely love it.

Anyway, you've made me super keen for an RS Tuning visit now!

So glad it all went well mate. In car video would be nice...

Full on brilliance mate. And yeah I do intend to visit RS Tuning at some point in the near future so I'll make sure I have some BMW banter. That V8 in the E9X M3s is quite the unit! And the carbon roof mod is actually a fairly regular one in the M3 world thanks to the CSL.

Tigra sounds absolutely mental :smiley:

And I remember seeing that Lupo in PVW. Absolutely love it.

Anyway, you've made me super keen for an RS Tuning visit now!

So glad it all went well mate. In car video would be nice...

I took my gopro with me and one of the roads home (A66, to cut over from the M1 to M6 I think it was) was awesome. Unfortunately I was so tired that I forgot haha I'll get one as soon as it stops raining and dries up, it's pissing down here though :worried: I do need to trial the gopro for Spa and there are a few great roads round here so as soon as it's dry i'll get one up.

Look forward to it mate. And yeah, I'm sure you're pretty well sorted for good roads near you!

I forgot to mention the two lovely surprises which we found when the car was up in the air to have the 250 turbo fitted. Firstly, Paul pointed out that the underside was very oily. Upon further inspection, the oil return pipe from the turbo had a crack and was spraying oil over the back of the engine. He said it was lucky it hadn't sprayed the exhaust wrap on the downpipe and gone up in flames...
Secondly, the downpipe was held on by one bolt, rather than three! When I say "held on", I mean "hanging on, just". Now, either they hadn't been fitted at all, or they hadn't been fitted properly and had fallen out. I don't know which one is more worrying. Paul fixed both free of charge.
Cue a rather long and angry email to the people who fitted my engine. @Johnny 99 knows who I mean. Not happy at all with them, especially as I've had to take the car back to them twice already, once to have the reverse lights wired so they actually work, and once to have the cornering lights configured to work after the new UPC unit was fitted. How hard is it to check these things!

I forgot to mention the two lovely surprises which we found when the car was up in the air to have the 250 turbo fitted. Firstly, Paul pointed out that the underside was very oily. Upon further inspection, the oil return pipe from the turbo had a crack and was spraying oil over the back of the engine. He said it was lucky it hadn't sprayed the exhaust wrap on the downpipe and gone up in flames...
Secondly, the downpipe was held on by one bolt, rather than three! Now, either they hadn't been fitted at all, or they hadn't been fitted properly and had fallen out. I don't know which one is more worrying. Paul fixed both free of charge.
Cue a rather long and angry email to the people who fitted my engine. @Johnny 99 knows who I mean. Not happy at all with them.
Bloody hell Sean. Sounds like you got to RST just in time.

Sounds a great garage never hear bad stuff about them.

Car must be amazing with 280odd lbs of torque. Will take a quick car to keep up with you at Spa mate:smiley:

Bloody hell Sean. Sounds like you got to RST just in time.

Sounds a great garage never hear bad stuff about them.

Car must be amazing with 280odd lbs of torque. Will take a quick car to keep up with you at Spa mate:smiley:

Yup, I'm so glad I got them to check the car over!

The power and torque delivery are great, as the knobhead in the new-shape Corsa vxr who sat up my arse leading up to the M6 slip road will testify as he very quickly became a small blue dot in my mirror. :french:

Secondly, the downpipe was held on by one bolt, rather than three! When I say "held on", I mean "hanging on, just". Now, either they hadn't been fitted at all, or they hadn't been fitted properly and had fallen out. I don't know which one is more worrying. Paul fixed both free of charge.
Cue a rather long and angry email to the people who fitted my engine. @Johnny 99 knows who I mean. Not happy at all with them, especially I've had to take the car back to them twice already, once to have the reverse lights wired so they actually work, and once to have the cornering lights configured to work after the new UPC unit was fitted.
Ooooh! More than slightly worrying. I hope that my car doesn't have any bodged bits on it. I've only used them the once after reading some good things. I'll have to think about whether I am going to return there. I'd imagine they're ok for routine stuff though. The meg conversion might have been a bit too ambitious for them. Glad you found the issue without the car going up in flames!

Ooooh! More than slightly worrying. I hope that my car doesn't have any bodged bits on it. I've only used them the once after reading some good things. I'll have to think about whether I am going to return there. I'd imagine they're ok for routine stuff though. The meg conversion might have been a bit too ambitious for them. Glad you found the issue without the car going up in flames!

I think 'ambitious' is exactly the correct word. They obviously know they're stuff when it comes to the RS's, I just think they took on more than they could handle.

Reactions: Johnny 99
what a great update Sean..so happy for you..the car must be a pleasure to drive now..really lucky you had it booked at RST..Paul is a great guy,speaking from my own experience..
glad all had been fixed for you..now you can enjoy your beast fully..
bring on Spa :thumb:

Just went back a page or two on your thread. RS Tuning certainly know their stuff. I too was impressed with them when I had my remap done there. You have me hankering for a meg conversion now! I won't be doing it though as I think my wife would throw me out! I wouldn't be surprised if your car is actually making more than the figures you have as RS Tuning's rollers seem to be quite conservative in what they show. It's all about how it drives & not about "willy waving" & they really know their stuff there. Enjoy the car now! Btw gear knob & gaiter look great.

Just went back a page or two on your thread. RS Tuning certainly know their stuff. I too was impressed with them when I had my remap done there. You have me hankering for a meg conversion now! I won't be doing it though as I think my wife would throw me out! I wouldn't be surprised if your car is actually making more than the figures you have as RS Tuning's rollers seem to be quite conservative in what they show. It's all about how it drives & not about "willy waving" & they really know their stuff there. Enjoy the car now! Btw gear knob & gaiter look great.

Cheers. I definitely agree with it being about how it drives. In fact, that was my main emphasis when I spoke to Paul beforehand. I was worried that the 250 turbo would be overkill, but it has definitely made a big difference, even at the relatively 'low' power figure. Like I said, it's like a large n/a engine in the way it delivers the power. I could go for more power, but it's fine as it is. Sure, 300bhp/300lb/ft looks 'better' on paper, but the car is mega on the road so that'll do me.
I like that they use Dyno Dynamics rollers, as I believe they're linked to a central system which keeps them constantly calibrated so at least I know they didn't over-read.

what a great update Sean..so happy for you..the car must be a pleasure to drive now..really lucky you had it booked at RST..Paul is a great guy,speaking from my own experience..
glad all had been fixed for you..now you can enjoy your beast fully..
bring on Spa :thumb:

Yup, can't wait. Any word on yours?

waiting for Trevor to give me a call today whether I need a new ECU or he's managed to make my work..still waiting..hope it is good news though..

Just spoke to Paul at RS Tuning. He told me yesterday my lambda sensor was knackered, so I spoke to him this morning to ask him which one and if the engine light would go off when it was replaced. He told me the knackered one wouldn't matter as having the decat meant I didn't need it. He then apologised as he realised he hadn't disabled the flywheel DTC which has to be done to stop the single mass flywheel putting the engine light on. He instantly offered to post me an RSTuner so I can switch it off myself, with him providing full instructions, and I'll then send the RSTuner unit back. Again, mega customer service.

The wheel looks matte in that bottom picture next to your car, I reckon it would look amazing like that!

They look really good anyway mind you :thumb:

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sean197 Projects/Progress Threads 30
Pav Projects/Progress Threads 2657
B Spotted 0