Sean's 197T - RIP Albi :(

Lift the rear of the bonnet? Done it to good effect on other track cars

I don't think bonnet raisers would work due to the area of high pressure at the scuttle area. In theory you need an area of low pressure to 'suck' the air out when on the move. I know someone who fitted raisers and the engine ended up soaked.

Intercooler heatsoak? First time i've heard of that, chinese intercooler aswell right?

I'm not trying to battle you here, i'm just giving you the best advise you can get: buy a proper intercooler and fit a Meg radiator, i can reasure you your problems will be gone.

Just look at Litchy's, has been battleing 'high under bonnet temps' for ages, he then finally decided to fit a Meg radiator and fixed all of his problems

Reactions: DS197
Intercooler heatsoak? First time i've heard of that, chinese intercooler aswell right?

I'm not trying to battle you here, i'm just giving you the best advise you can get: buy a proper intercooler and fit a Meg radiator, i can reasure you your problems will be gone.

Just look at Litchy's, has been battleing 'high under bonnet temps' for ages, he then finally decided to fit a Meg radiator and fixed all of his problems

There you go
https://turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/Intercooler

Litchy sorted his problems by replacing a faulty thermostat. But, again, it didn't solve the issue of getting hot air out of the bay. That's why he fitted vents. Get as much hot air out the bay as possible and the intercooler and radiator can work more efficiently, resulting in the ecu pulling the timing less, resulting in less power drop.
And, I have a 'proper' intercooler, and I'm not having problems. I'm simply future-proofing. You're arguing against a point which I haven't made!
Anyway, thanks for your input. You do your thing and I'll do mine.
Cheers

Reactions: sevenfourate
You're correct, he fitted the vents in an attempt to get temps down, in the end he fitted a Meg radiator as per my advice and never had a problems since, hence i'm giving you the same advice.

Anyway, good luck! Wonder what vents you'll go for. Liked the look on Litchy's but a bit too big for the small bonnet

Remove the rubber seal on the scuttle panel and fit the megane radiator. My temps were high and it solved the problem instantly. Vents won't have much effect really, only for a cold air intake, trying to air cool the engine will make little difference, more difference improving the efficiency of the rad like @Tutuur said, he knows his shit.

Reactions: Pav
Fitted a Gordini gear gaiter to go with my Laguna gear knob today. I had to modify the collar a little with a dremel as the base of the Clio selector is slightly different from the Megane one. The colour isn't a perfect match so I'm looking into some leather dye.

I've also finished the cup racer 8j Speedlines, and I have some track/summer tyres arriving in the next few days. I'll be waiting another month or so to fit them as I want to give the paint as much time as possible before Spa to cure properly.

RS Tuning is on Wednesday, so on Sunday I'll be fitting my intercooler, then Monday will be fitting the front brakes and Engine Dynamics thermostat then draining the coolant and refilling with waterless coolant.

20170217_141737.jpg

20170216_163911.jpg

20170216_163905.jpg

20170217_142215.jpg

Phone camera doesn't really capture the depth nor the shine of the colour, but I'm really happy with how they've come out, especially as it's from a rattle can.
And yes, the car will be washed and hoovered this weekend :wink:

Reactions: suj and Jimmy
Great value. Heard of Kumho, never knew they did semi slicks...

Are they Road legal?

Gator and knob set up looks bloody ace mate.

Super impressed with the wheels too. Really like the colour.

All coming along very nicely. Bet you can't wait for Wednesday!

Reactions: Sean197
Looking great. Anthracite (?) is such a nice colour i think....classy would be my term.

Hope Sunday and Monday go well in readiness for the big day (Makes it sound like a wedding) :smile:

Great updates Sean! That German eBayer was excellent, quicker than a lot of UK ones :smile: My spoiler is already here too :smile: Good taste in the gaitor!

Great updates Sean! That German eBayer was excellent, quicker than a lot of UK ones :smile: My spoiler is already here too :smile: Good taste in the gaitor!

Yeah I bought the gear knob from him too, got good prices from him for both so pretty happy!

Just back from Leeds, after setting off from home at 3.30am lol
Spent a while talking to Paul - top guy who had all the time in the world for me, mega customer service and I really can't talk highly enough of him and rs tuning - and Specky, who is mental lol
Spoke through what I wanted and as it's primarily a road car we agreed on 280bhp and 280 lb-ft. He got to work fitting the 250 turbo, and noticed an oil leak. Turned out the turbo oil pipe was cracked, and had sprayed oil over the block. So this was fixed and the 630cc injectors were fitted, then the car was mapped. In the end it made 277.5bhp and 285 lb-ft torque. It could have made more but the exhaust system is holding it back. Honestly I'm not fussed, Paul took me round the block in the car once finished and it's ridiculously quick. So that'll do me, other than tidying the car up cosmetically that's my spending done.
I also had an interesting chat with Paul re a few things;

This conversion "doesn't need a megane radiator". Rs tuning don't bother with one with their conversion builds. The engine will sit at 90-odd degrees all day quite happily. So in short I won't be bothering.
Nor will I be bothering with the engine dynamics cooler thermostat, as this is also not necessarily.
Most importantly, I won't be using waterless coolant. Apparently it's highly flammable, and if you have a water leak and it catches a hot enough engine part, up it goes lol So that's the bottle I bought going on ebay lol. It's banned in some racing series for this reason.
It took around 5 hours to fit the turbo and injectors, and Paul only charged me for two. Now that's customer service.
Overall, the car is mega. It pulls and holds boost all the way to the red line, and it did 35.5mpg on the way home at a steady 70mph. I'm now even more excited for Spa.
I'll put a pic of the graph up tomorrow, but now I'm off to sleep lol

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sean197 Projects/Progress Threads 30
Pav Projects/Progress Threads 2657
B Spotted 0