Scotland NC500 Photos & Videos

Well I don't have any £4K bottles of whisky...or I probably wouldn't be driving a Clio (though I'd quite possibly still have one in my garage) but I have plenty of bottles of quite special malts. Maybe next time you're up I can join you for a stretch and give you something for an evening dram.

Well I don't have any £4K bottles of whisky...or I probably wouldn't be driving a Clio (though I'd quite possibly still have one in my garage) but I have plenty of bottles of quite special malts. Maybe next time you're up I can join you for a stretch and give you something for an evening dram.
haha..sounds good..

Did this route earlier in the year, thoroughly enjoyed, as it seems you guys did
did you do it west to east/clockwise?
That's the better way IMHO!
How many stops did you make?

Yeah.

First stop Northumberland from Leeds through the dales
Up to Loch Ness for next stop
over to apple cross next stop (this was supposed to be uUllapool but we were behind schedule)
then we were due for some crap weather so we decided to get onto the north coast to avoid it(we knew of several campsites at the north coast) but we opted in the day To go over to John o'groats in the end, we were very disappointed with this as it was just very run down so we went down to Wick.. This was a long day but awesome.
back down to Loch Ness for final stop and back down into England (8 hours drive++)

i remember you were not a happy bunny Chris with John o'groats..
yeah did
it west to east/clockwise

Ahh fair play
I opted for a different approach, but for similar reasons
leeds to Inverness - longest drive but a good route
Inverness to Kinlochewe - through applecross
Kinlochewe to Tongue
Then we were meant to stop in wick, but it looked like a bit of a dump so carried on from tongue to Edinburgh instead

Just if people want to plan and have less time, it is possible!

Yah we did consider stopping in kilochwe if apple cross campsite didn't look too good. The campsite at wick was actually really nice also.

looks great!

will be leaving plenty of co2 up there early july hopefully.....need a break after whats been going on lately:coffee:

John O' Groats has been a shambles for years. It won the carbuncle for Scotland's most dismal town in 2010 (http://www.urbanrealm.com/carbuncles/johnogroats). Some money has gone into it in terms of redevelopment (despite a Masterplan having been developed and gone through consultation some time ago) and, considering that it remains a bit of a tourist draw, it's not moving forwards terribly fast from what I understand. It's not somewhere I would linger either.

I've played alot of golf in Scotland. And amongst some truly beautiful places - ive seen some drab looking towns too. Like anywhere i guess.......

But; for a major tourist point like JOG, to be awarded "Scotland's most dismal Town".....it must be pretty dire. Resting on their Laurels and presuming people will come no matter what perhaps.......?

John O' Groats has been a shambles for years. It won the carbuncle for Scotland's most dismal town in 2010 (http://www.urbanrealm.com/carbuncles/johnogroats). Some money has gone into it in terms of redevelopment (despite a Masterplan having been developed and gone through consultation some time ago) and, considering that it remains a bit of a tourist draw, it's not moving forwards terribly fast from what I understand. It's not somewhere I would linger either.
sounds about right..not a very welcoming town from we saw...hope it gets better though..

I guess that's the beauty of this run, there's so many stop off points that you have a lot of choice in how you do it. As said, we did have plans in place but we were able to adapt each day.

John o'G was certainly a disappointment (the drab weather didn't help). It reminded me of some of the tourist towns on the east Yorkshire coast - Bridlington etc, just run down and kind of forgotten about. It's a shame with it being a famous place. Wick was decent though, the camp site at least. The town was full of the local boy racers, but I suppose you can get that anywhere.

Overall though, Scotland is such a nice place - the scenery in the Highlands is stunning. I can't wait to go back.

If you get the chance try to squeeze in the spital of Glenshee from Pitlochry to South Deeside, it is however way off track from the NC500. Imo one of the best bits of road in the UK. At its peak it's also the highest Road in the UK. I plan on having a go at the NC500 at some point this year, but can't decide whether to take the clio or wait a few months for my DAS and take a motorbike.

If you get the chance try to squeeze in the spital of Glenshee from Pitlochry to South Deeside, it is however way off track from the NC500. Imo one of the best bits of road in the UK. At its peak it's also the highest Road in the UK. I plan on having a go at the NC500 at some point this year, but can't decide whether to take the clio or wait a few months for my DAS and take a motorbike.

I'm probably being a bit slow here today after detailing exhaustion but what's a DAS? (He asks slightly embarrassed...)

Similar Thread Suggestions