Ryan T's rs200 busy 6 months

ryan t

Gold Member
Hi all
just thought I'd share what I've been up to the last six months with my much loved
rs200.
I started with my glacier White/anthracite full fat Clio with cup pack in standard form, which is actually my second one of these in this spec & colour (I should never of sold the first one thought I'd try a Megane r26 but hated it)
C68D36A8-B43F-4024-893E-D30213FC6A86_zpsvypnep9h.jpg
[/URL][/img]
so then I decided to tweek it a little to suit track days a bit more so first mod was to space out the rear stub axles 10mm
D2F4E490-BB64-42A7-80EB-E9A2E693F542_zpsad55sbue.jpg
[/URL][/img]
next to come was update my brakes as the ones already on it wasn't up to the job so I went for ktr black edition grooved front discs with ds2500 pads and on rear black grooved mtec discs with standard brembo pads. The rear discs made a huge difference to the handling as the bearings on my old ones made the car feel really unsettled over rough surfaces and fast corner.
2F00534F-EE82-41A1-AA0A-E6471493063A_zpsxbrsbisc.jpg
[/URL][/img]
12257925-65B0-4112-B92A-0C03C0F34AA6_zpsekz9qsjv.jpg
[/URL][/img]
on with the suspension upgrades I started by replacing all the front end bushes with powerflex ones including the arb and to compliment them I fitted a chassis brace to tighten things up a little.
B17274A5-60AA-4BD5-A705-C2ACB6C08E4F_zpsuoh4bexs.jpg
[/URL][/img]
5F0792AA-E67A-47BA-958C-DFF97668B167_zpsge7r1gal.jpg
[/URL][/img]
also at the same time I fitted a centre silencer and cat delete pipe.
A060E7FC-8CD8-4372-8FED-2AF347342BF5_zpsqfxh55pq.jpg
[/URL][/img]
At this point I was going to leave things as they were as the car seemed a lot sharper tool than it was before apart from the slight flat spot at 3500rpm
However I found a set of 18" ktr 5 spoke wheels in matt black for sale and I just had to have them, also I'd been getting a bit fed up of how much my arches swallowed my speed
lines.
FE12834C-6E66-4EF8-9762-B8C1BBE254F3_zpstppnny5w.jpg
[/URL][/img]
Even with the wheels I had always wanted I felt something was miss so a sprint spoiler was added which makes the back end of the car look so much better.
6898864D-7407-4C07-983C-662CE73CC8D8_zpsdria8qeo.jpg
[/URL][/img]
H&R springs were also needed to finish the look off and further improve the handling
FEDC5FD0-59F0-4CE7-B5B1-848968B1F0F2_zpsfsgre1eb.jpg
[/URL][/img]
By this point I'm really getting the bug for modding the rs so decided to mess around with the intake side of things by adding a cone filter to beef up the sound of her. Sounded great but I lost a massive amount of power, which left me one option a v6 air box and hose with a odyssey race battery in the boot. And trust me all the hype about the v6 air box is very true the rs has so much more torque and power. oh also fitted a ultra racing upper strut brace.
C69BB9CB-940F-4C75-BCA4-4EF936E324F0_zpsprdkipys.jpg
[/URL][/img]
now I thought I would add some black powerflex engine mounts and a oreca exhaust which sounds so good I can't stop grinning from ear to ear
E1494115-CC2D-4E00-9A03-AA8E899817FD_zps2gly3wp7.jpg
[/URL][/img]
89FD31D9-B8E1-424B-B6FB-6DF05180A470_zpsihw6qlpg.jpg
[/URL][/img]
And so that's been my last six months and I'm quite looking forward to the next six months as I've got a lot more mods I want to carry out:thumbsup:
(ps it took me ages to write this on a iPhone so sorry if it's a bit sh**)

hi mate..great progress..really enjoyed it....i do like the exhaust..1 pipe looks really good...keep it up :thumbup:

Cheers Pav:thumbsup: I've missed a few things out I'm sure but thought I was about time to share my progress and like I said there is much more to come. And yeah the exhaust is definitely one of my favourite mods I've done. I also need to say thanks to everyone on here which gave me info and sold me certain parts which I used

Great progress so far, good looking car! Really interesting about you swapping back to a Clio after going to a Meg. What was it exactly that made you want to come back to the 200? :smile:

Well to say I hated the Megane is a bit harsh I suppose, I've actually had two megane's my first one a 225 which was mapped to 265bhp was a great car properly fast and at the time looked awesome as they hadn't been out long then one day I popped into Renault and saw a absolutely gorgeous rs 200 Clio which I ended up buying, I thought I'd miss the power of the Megane but the Clio felt so much better to drive and turned so many more heads power just didn't matter. Had the Clio 18 months then sold it as I needed money for a new kitchen and bought a r26 for a run around. It just didn't feel special in any way it didn't bounce of the limiter the way the Clio did and down my favourite B roads it wasn't as fast as the mighty Clio plus I had to change a lot of parts on front suspension which cost a fortune so in the end I was really disappointed with it and all the time I had it I was missing the Clio and I knew I had to have another so I went back to one and don't regret it in anyway at all.

Great mods so far mate, look forward to the next installments :thumbsup:

Interesting review about the megane!

Cars is looking good!I have a 60 plate rs,with the smaller top mounts and I was told the ultra racing front strut brace wouldn't fit,but I see you have it fitted.

Cars is looking good!I have a 60 plate rs,with the smaller top mounts and I was told the ultra racing front strut brace wouldn't fit,but I see you have it fitted.

I might be wrong but I was under the impression that it was just the cup that didn't fit.

To be honest didn't realise the ultra racing brace didn't fit all versions of 197&200's, I would of thought that it would fit on all earlier style top mounts which is what I have got on mine but it might be the new smaller style top mount that might be a problem

Dont think its to do with the cup versions, pretty sure it will just be based on your top mount, i.e. what year your 200 is.

Mines the cup suspension so probably won't fit then,have you seen a difference after fitting the lower front brace?
Mine has got the cup suspension, and the lower brace only really benefits on track and with all the other suspension upgrades it's hard to tell which parts are doing what but altogether the handling is greatly improved.

Any reason why you didn't use the black series bushes for the front arm and roll bar?
To be honest I didn't no what to expect from the bushes and I was worried that the black powerflex would of been to hard but if I was to do it again I would go for the black. The black engine mounts are probably a bit to stiff for my liking as the amount of vibration you get is extreme so I fitted them one at a time with about 50 miles between them to break them in which definitely helped

To be honest I didn't no what to expect from the bushes and I was worried that the black powerflex would of been to hard but if I was to do it again I would go for the black. The black engine mounts are probably a bit to stiff for my liking as the amount of vibration you get is extreme so I fitted them one at a time with about 50 miles between them to break them in which definitely helped

Thank you. I think I'm going to go black bushes all round except for standard purple for engine and gearbox mounts. Don't really want excessive engine vibrations but want the handling firming up (already have H&R springs fitted). Car is mainly a toy for track days and the odd bit of commuting.

Thank you. I think I'm going to go black bushes all round except for standard purple for engine and gearbox mounts. Don't really want excessive engine vibrations but want the handling firming up (already have H&R springs fitted). Car is mainly a toy for track days and the odd bit of commuting.
I think that would definitely be the best bush and mount set up to go for. I'm sure you'll notice a big difference in the car.

Similar Thread Suggestions