Rusty front sub frame!!!

Discussion in 'Clio 197 Area' started by Roninbb, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Roninbb

Roninbb Paid Member

Clio 197 ff
    Just got under the Clio for the first time since buying it, only to discover the front subframe is falling to bits!

Attached Files:

2. Roninbb

Roninbb Paid Member

Clio 197 ff
    Another bit

Attached Files:

3. Roninbb

Roninbb Paid Member

Clio 197 ff
    Aaannnd another

Attached Files:

4. Dmonk197

Dmonk197 Paid Member

Borehamwood
    197 R27
    im no metal expert but that looks like paint and none of the metal looks to be breaking or has holes. some sandpaper and fresh paint should put that right.

5. Roninbb

Roninbb Paid Member

Clio 197 ff
    Nope, has huge chunks missing out of it lol

6. Antti O

Antti O Paid Member

Mikkeli, Finland
    Clio 197 Ultra red 2007
    It is radiator support, not sub frame. You can remove it and get it sandblasted.
    Then some paint.

big.jpg

big.jpg

big.jpg

ZaShark likes this.
  7. vnahalv

vnahalv Paid Member

Clio RS 197
    Mine is beyond repair so looking for a used one that I can refurb! Called Renault and a replacement is around £250

8. Roninbb

Roninbb Paid Member

Clio 197 ff
    Luckily I spoke to the place I got it from today, sent some pictures. They've agreed to sort it out as I've knkynhad it 4 weeks!

Foxspeed likes this.
  9. RossWoods93

RossWoods93 Platinum Member

Bury St Edmunds
    LY Clio RS 200
    Jesus, it’s a good job you took a look under there when you did! Good work on getting them to sort it, hopefully it’ll be rust free again soon!

10. Antti O

Antti O Paid Member

Mikkeli, Finland
    Clio 197 Ultra red 2007
    Radiator support is easy to change diy. Mine was also rusty, but little bit of welding and sandblasting..
    If you buy new or second hand, paint or protect it. I think protection from factory was poor.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  11. Jack Maxwell

Jack Maxwell Gold Member

Clio 200 Silverstone
    How long did it take you to remove? what was required?
    Mine is looking crappy too and could do with a refurb

12. Antti O

Antti O Paid Member

Mikkeli, Finland
    Clio 197 Ultra red 2007
    Hello

I try to remember how it was.

1. Lift car up , put jack stands, so car is in nice balance and you have enough room to work under car.
    2. Remove undertray
    3. Remove inner wings
    4. Remove front bumper (see how-to section).
    5. Support radiator that it would not drop down when you remove radiator support.
    6. Remove bolts from front of the support and side.

If i remember correctly now you can remove this radiator support.

Here is picture how i supported my radiator before i drop the radiator support bar

big.jpg

And here is picture, see bolts

big.jpg

big.jpg

Andyyox and ZaShark like this.
  13. Jack Maxwell

Jack Maxwell Gold Member

Clio 200 Silverstone
    Cheers for the great reply. Was under the car yesterday and noticed it was in a state so its a job on the list too do. Just cleaned it up and waxoyl for now

14. -Eddie-

-Eddie- Missing In Action Paid Member

Belfast
    200 Cup
    This could be worthwhile contacting your local dealer about under the 12 year Anti Perforation warranty. It wouldn’t be the first time a Clio 3 front subframe has been replaced under the Anti Perforation warranty - doesn’t matter if it’s Renaultsport or not it happens on them!

15. ZaShark

ZaShark Paid Member

Hi

Think mine is in the same boat on a quick look, so what did you go for in the end if you got it sorted? i swear i read some where its is the same on any mk3 clio? is there any truth in this if any body knows that can confirm?

Wow nice write up and info! thanks worse case i can eventually get on to something like this, if only you were closer id borrow you mine to help out on :smile: nice work bud :thumb:

16. Antti O

Antti O Paid Member

Mikkeli, Finland
    Clio 197 Ultra red 2007
    @zashark
    See my post from 19 march (top of this thread).
    You can remove that radiator support bar, and get it sandblasted and then paint it.
    It is not subframe, and this rusty part job is keep radiator in place.

Btw. New part from renault is approx 200£, but remember do rust protection carefully before installing.

17. turkie172

turkie172 Paid Member

Yes that's true but a straight flat plate can do that job the big problem I have is that it's part of the crumple zone in an accident and for it to rust and weaken the way it does and at that speed my car had a new one 3 years ago and the rust is there already at it's behind plastic bumper covers Renault should be pulled and forced to do something at the minimum have a better painted part to replace it with.

ZaShark likes this.
  18. DS197

DS197 POTM Winner - June 2017 Paid Member

Clio 197
    Do you think it's worth powder coating or painting a replacement before fitting it?

ZaShark likes this.
  19. Andyyox

Andyyox Paid Member

Mines pretty bad....

Seems common . I'd recommend decent paint or powder and then waxoil or similar on your replacement !

Attached Files:

20. turkie172

turkie172 Paid Member

Well £200 and starts to rust inside 3 years, steering wheels that melt clearly not fit for purpose but as owners we get tired of fighting with Renault so it comes in like an undercoat finish but must be unpainted inside hence the rust so yea some kind of paint on the outside and wax oil inside the layers.