Rust On The Tailgate (AGAIN)

MarcB

Paid Member
I know I'm prob chasing fresh air and that I won't actually get anywhere with this and I have done some searching and found that its been a very common issue on alot of 197's

I know the car is now a 10 year old car but what are the chances of Renault UK doing anything about it now ?

I just dont fancy taking it to a bodyshop that might paint it BT Van yellow from 1980s.

Here is a couple of pictures

Rust 001.jpg Rust 002.png Rust 003.png Rust 004.png Rust 005.png

The corrosion and perforation warranty is 12 years so take it to your dealer. They may check that the corrosion warranty checks have been done at each service that's the only thing though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let us know how you get on, I've just noticed a slight bit of bubbling in the exact same place on mine.

Just show your car renault dealer. Our cars have 12 years anti-corrosion warranty. It covers if rust has come inside out.
My fathers E46 has got 3 new doors + bonnet and half of car has been repainted by BMW warranty free of charge.
Report here what they said. In my opinion they should fix that for free, if there is full service history from renault, and bodychecks has been done correctly.

I don't have FULL RENAULT history with the car. It does have around 5/6 stamps from Renault when new, 2 stamps from an unknown garage and then some more from Renault.

So big update on this.

2 weeks ago myself and another Clio 197 F1 owner turned up at a Renault dealership with bodyshop and we got a bodywork inspection.

On my car it was the tailgate as above and also the roof rails.
The bodyshop manager inspected my car and took paint depths and highlighted the area on the roof rail.

The bodyshop manager then inspected my friends car with the exact same issue on the tailgate, His roof rails where ok with no bubbling on them.

2 weeks on I made the phone call to be be told that the car is fully covered under the anti corrosion warranty.
The dealership are now checking parts availability as the tailgate is not getting repaired. Its getting fully replaced.

I would strongly advise anyone with corrosion on the roof rails or tailgate on there 197 to get it to a genuine Renault dealership with a Renault bodyshop and get it checked and sorted. Each case / car is individual and looked at on its own merits.

I believe the Clio 200 has the roof rail problems with paint bubbling but the 200 does not have the tailgate issue like the early 197's.

Last edited:
Reactions: R11HOY
So big update on this.

2 weeks ago myself and another Clio 197 F1 owner turned up at a Renault dealership with bodyshop and we got a bodywork inspection.

On my car it was the tailgate as above and also the roof rails.
The bodyshop manager inspected my car and took paint depths and highlighted the area on the roof rail.

The bodyshop manager then inspected my friends car with the exact same issue on the tailgate, His roof rails where ok with no bubbling on them.

2 weeks on I made the phone call to be be told that the car is fully covered under the anti corrosion warranty.
The dealership are now checking parts availability as the tailgate is not getting repaired. Its getting fully repaired.

I would strongly advise anyone with corrosion on the roof rails or tailgate on there 197 to get it to a genuine Renault dealership with a Renault bodyshop and get it checked and sorted. Each case / car is individual and looked at on its own merits.

I believe the Clio 200 has the roof rail problems with paint bubbling but the 200 does not have the tailgate issue like the early 197's.

Brilliant stuff! Glad you've got it sorted. Thank you for the update, I will definitely be calling in my local dealer at the next chance I get!

Forgive me for saying this Marc but would you not have been better sourcing a better condition car? You seem to be spending a fair bit of time and no doubt money bringing this car back to a respectable spec.

Reactions: clio-williams
Forgive me for saying this Marc but would you not have been better sourcing a better condition car? You seem to be spending a fair bit of time and no doubt money bringing this car back to a respectable spec.

Car was bought cheap and I spend money on things how I want to get them.
Even if i did buy a Clio 200 (Newer / Less Miles) I would still want to change things on it.

The rear tailgate is a common problem and I'm not paying anything for it so why not, Its all Renault UK thats footing the bill.

Every Clio I buy regardless of invoices and work thats been done by the previous owner the gets sent straight to SWR and gets all belts & dephaser done along with water pump and anything else it needs.

I have a lot to do to the car still as a lot of the work is down to poor ownership in the past and wear/tear items that have given up the ghost.

Reactions: jasonlovesfrench
This is a good sign, I have taken my car into Renault today (Vospers) to get Renault UK to see if they will accept it. He didnt check paint depth, he did see if it had been resprayed (it hasnt) but did take a few photos. Its interesting that its always on the drivers side of the bottom of the triangle of the rear window.

20170524_094624.jpg

Sorry to revive an old thread but just noticed this on mine today.

How long did Renault take to actually get this fixed?

Sorry to revive an old thread but just noticed this on mine today.

How long did Renault take to actually get this fixed?

I waited over 6 months as tailgates went back order and then every one that turned up at the dealer arrived damaged.
In total it was 4 tail gates and then 2 paint jobs as I found a small run in the paint on the inside edge and I was not happy about it.