RS Megane MK4

Fair play mate, like I said originally, some of the people who want to keep a gear stick just like changing gear. Fair enough. Personally I don't get it. To me it's like getting auto lights and auto wipers and then really wanting to do it yourself!

:smiley:

To be fair I have both those disabled too..

You got me to a 'T'

Reactions: ///M
You just like to change gear. I totally understand, but the very act of what you are doing detracts from what is happening through the front window. If it didn't, why did they make the change to racecars as soon as it was an option? When the change was made in motorsport the shifts were not as quick as what we have today so it's not all about speed.

It's just a preference. Some people really like to change gear. Some like an ear bleedingly loud exhaust. Some even like black badges...

:tongueout:

haha says the man who's just bought a manual car:smile:

I love autos, the fast autos, the ones that you are busy only by trying to tame the car. I would never buy (if I had the money of course) a manual supercar, why would I do that? 911 gt3? Of course I'd get the auto (if manual was an option anyway).

But on normal cars and as far as driving pleasure is concerned, no, not at all. That would bore me to death. Sitting there in my 200bhp hatchback waiting for the revs to go up so as to flick the shifter? I would probably fall asleep. Simply enough there is not much on these cars to keep me busy. Big power hatchbacks? Well...I would never buy one in the first place:wink:

Now, stop praising the autos and go change some gears in your lovely V6 which as far as I gather you use more that your auto M3:smile:

love:smile::smile:

I love autos, the fast autos, the ones that you are busy only by trying to tame the car. I would never buy (if I had the money of course) a manual supercar, why would I do that? 911 gt3? Of course I'd get the auto (if manual was an option anyway).

But on normal cars and as far as driving pleasure is concerned, no, not at all. That would bore me to death. Sitting there in my 200bhp hatchback waiting for the revs to go up so as to flick the shifter? I would probably fall asleep. Simply enough there is not much on these cars to keep me busy. Big power hatchbacks? Well...I would never buy one in the first place:wink:

Now, stop praising the autos and go change some gears in your lovely V6 which as far as I gather you use more that your auto M3:smile:

Pish Pav no waiting for RPM in my little Devil-B

If you just bought an exciting new car wouldn't you drive that a bit more than the one you've had for years - Regardless of what gearbox is in it? :wink:

Also for the record don't think I've ever been sat there when driving my car fast thinking I wish these revs would go up a bit quicker so I can flick my paddle, there isn't a lot of time for that when your foot is flat down... but to be honest I don't see any difference with that than waiting to depress the clutch when your revs are climbing...... :smile:

One flip of a paddle with one finger does not compare with the whole synchronised choreography of moves which leads to a successful gear change, rev matching, heal&toeing etc which takes years of driving to master. And the feeling you get when you properly do it for the first time is simply awesome, does not compare to the artificial - all the time perfect - automatic platform.

Anyone likes different things which is a great thing and I would never try to persuade/convince anyone of what I prefer but either we like it or not - and as far as driving involvement is concerned - a manual when operated as it should adds value.:smile:

Have you been drinking?

If you want to be taken at all seriously you need to first appreciate the difference between a manual and an auto.

If you need to be finding ways to "keep busy" while driving, maybe you need a different car!

It's a big wide world out there mate. Don't be a stuck in the past traditionalist. It doesn't suit you.

If you just bought an exciting new car wouldn't you drive that a bit more than the one you've had for years - Regardless of what gearbox is in it? :wink:

Also for the record don't think I've ever been sat there when driving my car fast thinking I wish these revs would go up a bit quicker so I can flick my paddle, there isn't a lot of time for that when your foot is flat down... but to be honest I don't see any difference with that than waiting to depress the clutch when your revs are climbing...... :smile:

There's a difference mate. You have to do all sorts of extra stuff with one. Where as with the other you just get on with it.

I sometimes wonder if faced with a tidy lady offering a tug, they'd want to do it themselves or they'd get bored waiting for something to happen!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Reactions: nutnutwelshman
Have you been drinking?

If you want to be taken at all seriously you need to first appreciate the difference between a manual and an auto.

If you need to be finding ways to "keep busy" while driving, maybe you need a different car!

It's a big wide world out there mate. Don't be a stuck in the past traditionalist. It doesn't suit you.

??? Is this post for real? Because if it is I really don't entertain the tone to be honest. My post you quoted was a personal opinion, talking about what I prefer and what I like and last time I checked I'm allowed an opinion. Your remarks - and simply because someone doesn't share your opinion - are totally unnecessary.

And tell me, does the above come from a motor enthusiast who goes to the extend of putting the manual lights and wipers in the same bracket as an manual transmission? Or even go to the extend of stating that a manual actually dilutes the driving experience? Unless of course you are trolling and I'm not bright enough to realise it.

Mate, I think you spend too much time on the internet reading about how an x car performs y times better than a z one in terms of laptimes and on paper driven by pros. On the road - and iirc you don't visit the track so you are not really eligible to tell - you can not even extract half of your cars' capabilities so don't tell me that you are too focused driving the damn thing on the limit, something that would of course require full commitment. Your "race car" argument is not applicable here either for the above mentioned reason. We are not trying to shove tenths neither we drive on the edge...

For reference, I'm "busy" driving my car alright, never complained and that's why I own it for 7 years and drive the bearings out of it. I think there is enough evidence of that.

On another note, I'm obviously not knocking 2 pedal cars neither the people opting to buy them. Each to their own and whatever floats your boat and all that but to say that a manual compromises the driving experience is a blasphemy in a car enthusiast forum...

*drops mic and writes this thread off

Reactions: R11HOY and peter
When it comes to auto vs manual it's mostly situational/personal taste.

Personally, I like the possibility that I can mess up a shift in a manual whereas auto you can't really. Makes the manual feel more involved. The gaps between the shifts are about preparing for the next shift.

Although I can see the practicality and efficiency benefits of autos...

??? Is this post for real? Because if it is I really don't entertain the tone to be honest. My post you quoted was a personal opinion, talking about what I prefer and what I like and last time I checked I'm allowed an opinion. Your remarks - and simply because someone doesn't share your opinion - are totally unnecessary.

And tell me, does the above come from a motor enthusiast who goes to the extend of putting the manual lights and wipers in the same bracket as an manual transmission? Or even go to the extend of stating that a manual actually dilutes the driving experience? Unless of course you are trolling and I'm not bright enough to realise it.

Mate, I think you spend too much time on the internet reading about how an x car performs y times better than a z one in terms of laptimes and on paper driven by pros. On the road - and iirc you don't visit the track so you are not really eligible to tell - you can not even extract half of your cars' capabilities so don't tell me that you are too focused driving the damn thing on the limit, something that would of course require full commitment. Your "race car" argument is not applicable here either for the above mentioned reason. We are not trying to shove tenths neither we drive on the edge...

For reference, I'm "busy" driving my car alright, never complained and that's why I own it for 7 years and drive the bearings out of it. I think there is enough evidence of that.

On another note, I'm obviously not knocking 2 pedal cars neither the people opting to buy them. Each to their own and whatever floats your boat and all that but to say that a manual compromises the driving experience is a blasphemy in a car enthusiast forum...

*drops mic and writes this thread off

I think you might be taking all this a little too seriously mate!

Of course you can't hit maximum on the road. Of course. Did I say that anywhere?

That doesn't for one minute say I'm not as on the edge focused on what is happening when I'm driving on the road, just as much as I would be on track. As for "don't visit the track" what relevance is that to what my preference is? I've not done a TD for a few years. So I've no idea how to work out what my preference is? Really?

My point about race cars is absolutely applicable. It's a focus thing. Ten tenths or six tenths it's still applicable. I'm certain you're not telling me when you're on it on the Alps trips you're only part focused? It's nothing about gaining tenths. It's about being able to swap cogs almost telepathically, without focusing on moving sticks and dancing pedals. If that doesn't work for you that's fine, but don't be one of those I know more about driving and manual is the only way people. That's exactly what my posts were aimed at. You might like changing gear. But it's not a better way of doing it. And don't put words in my mouth. It's not a compromise to change gear yourself. Of course it's part of the driving experience. However, like it or not, the more efficient, the quicker and the more focused way of doing it is with paddles. It's fine if you don't like it.

As for your comment about what I read on the internet, that's a hilariously wild assumption. I'd say, other than motorsport, 90% of what I read about cars online is done in one place. Here. The rest is just random bits and bobs from all over the place. I couldn't give two craps about lap times or who is fastest here or there. My interest in driving is me behind the wheel, that's all.

Relax mate. For the record, my post was very firmly tongue in cheek. Hence the smiley. You know me way better than that.

One flip of a paddle with one finger does not compare with the whole synchronised choreography of moves which leads to a successful gear change, rev matching, heal&toeing etc which takes years of driving to master. And the feeling you get when you properly do it for the first time is simply awesome, does not compare to the artificial - all the time perfect - automatic platform.

Anyone likes different things which is a great thing and I would never try to persuade/convince anyone of what I prefer but either we like it or not - and as far as driving involvement is concerned - a manual when operated as it should adds value.:smile:
No not for me bud driven both types round my playground and I'll take the paddles every time my friend

No not for me bud driven both types round my playground and I'll take the paddles every time my friend
Having driven yours Kev I'd say I like both setups for different reasons. If I had a very fast car I'd want paddle shift but if I could dance on the peddles like @Yiannis197 does then I'd be having a manual!!