Rough/Vibration via Clutch

GrumpyTwig

"the troll hunter" with added boost!
Has anyone had issues with the clutch feeling a fit rough engaging/disengaging at all?

Not sure if it's a sign of it going :\

another member commented on clutch vibration on a 200.....makes you wonder if its the start of the release bearing on its way out!

1 test Tom to see if it's the release bearing on it's way.

1st gear clutch hard to the floor, engine running, stab the throttle take it up to 7k and lift off throttle. Handbrake needs to be off and on level ground. Any movement in the car i.e a slight jerk at peak revs the release bearing is worn and will need changing soon probably a good idea to uprate the clutch if u intend on doing more track days

well it should last longer than this. will give it a go. might have to take it back to the garage.

1 test Tom to see if it's the release bearing on it's way.

1st gear clutch hard to the floor, engine running, stab the throttle take it up to 7k and lift off throttle. Handbrake needs to be off and on level ground. Any movement in the car i.e a slight jerk at peak revs the release bearing is worn and will need changing soon probably a good idea to uprate the clutch if u intend on doing more track days

Well this seems to be the case, just gave it a test car didnt move as such but it seemed to grab twice on the way back down the revs above 5k.

Back to renault? cars only a year old..... it should surely be able to last longer than this.

be prepared for a massive argument on the wear and tear clause of the warranty. they will try and say that it is wear and tear of the clutch and then try and charge you £640 + for an inspection lol the "197's/ 200's were nutorious for cracked housings that leak clutch fluid" and they will go on to say if this is the case then it will be a warranty repair but if not you have to pay the top line labour costs.

all I can suggest is getting an independant garage to replace your clutch and release bearing to an uprated 1 and you will get a long time out of it. Helix make clutches to order and a paddle 1 will aid your track day addiction no end. I think mine was £320 + £120 labour to fit it.

If it were 3 years old with 60k on the clocks it would be reasonable, I don't abuse the clutch and have been as careful with it as possible but it's booked in now for a list of issues that I have including the gearbox being a bit crap and the bolsters wearing again.

yeah well make sure they dont try and fob you off mate, ad you know the clutches are like tissue paper anyways lol

let us know how you get on

funny this well kinda depressing when i change gear its like 3 small judders up and down the gears when im depressing it in to gear,is mine needing replaced then ???? 28 k miles nearly 4 year old :worried:

its hard to say mate, do the small test and it will tell you. if its only slight its on its way out but will last anohter 10k ish if it was anything like mine where it even moved with the handbrake on its immenent.

Well we'll see when it goes in, I could afford to get it done myself using uprated parts but that'd go against my commitment to no modify it mechanically :tongueout:

yeah i know what you meen but how long do you intend to keep it and keep tracking it tom? sometimes even performance "road" parts cant keep up with what i suppose is clased as "motorsport" and the last thing you want is your clutch to fail on a track day.

How longs a piece of string? heh

I want to sell it as it is but need the right car to change it for.

The warranty doesn't cover reasonable wear and tear. It's down to you and the garage to discuss if you've had reasonable wear and tear so definitely don't tell them its been on track and maybe tell them you just do motorway commuting or something like that.

Somewhat annoyingly it's mostly stopped doing this, still marginally rough at the biting point but nothing you might not expect.

Anyone know if release bearing issues can be intermittent?

Somewhat annoyingly it's mostly stopped doing this, still marginally rough at the biting point but nothing you might not expect.

Anyone know if release bearing issues can be intermittent?

is what your saying actually a bit of clutch judder?

if it is you can get material pick up on the flywheel/pressure plate faces - to cure this its a case of give it some clutch slip to clean the faces up

usually release bearings dont self heal :angry:

No it definitely wasn't just a judder at the biting point before. It felt rough over the full throw of the pedal, now not so.....

As said I did Woodys test and it jerked slightly going and and coming back down the revs at roughly 5 and 6k rpm, will maybe have to try that again :s

Bloody cars...