Rocas's Flame Red 220T (goodbye 201)

Hi,

What you will likely not find here:
-significant mods
-detailing
-subwoofers, ampilfiers and other things that do make the car slower

What you will likely find here:
-Almost stock russian Clio 200 with cup spoiler and some yellow parts(yes, spoiler is yellow too)
-Photos and videos from track days
-maybe some maintenance experience

Let's start

IMG_3230.jpg

Last edited:
On the second day after buying the car I was on the local track to get more familiar with the car. After Saxo VTS, car feels much more stable, however, it still makes me smile in every corner. The balance is great, so you always able to alter the line with a slight move of the right foot.

ContiSportContact are definitely not a track day tyres. However, I' decided to finish this set before buying Hankook RS-3.

Last edited:
Then there was a trackday on the same track. It was raining as usual on most of the trackdays here )
3682b34s-960.jpg
b182b34s-960.jpg
2d02b34s-960.jpg

The lap time was awful, I was too slow with early braking and attempts to stay on the gas too early in the corner. Lots of understeer with open throttle and turned wheels at every exit.
However, wet tarmac provides lots of fun, so I had a chance to just enjoy

Last edited:
Awesome pictures and vids mate, what are your go pro settings? Seems to be real good quality with putting HD on youtube?

Thanks everybody.

@Stephen, I use Hero3 White. It captures 1080p with not-so-wide angle. I'd shoot even 720p, but it is fish-eye like, which does not seem to be useful for car videos.

Then, I resample video to 720 when adding overlays. 720 seems enough )

Been to Ahvenisto race track which is located in Hameenlinna, Finland. Surprisingly, some tracks in Finland are nearer to me than the russian ones. And Ahvenisto is the lovely one, it has 32m elevation change, it is narrow and twisty. I've been here two times before and will defo return again.
Hameenlinna is approximately 500km from my home. First, I had an idea of using overnight ferry to Helsinki and then have an hour-long trip by the motorway, but found out that I can't manage to finish my work on Friday before the boarding ends.
I was a bit concerned about the first long trip on a Clio with my wife and 2y.o. daughter. But quickly found out that if you don't exceed 120km/h, the engine sound is not that loud, and even fuel consumption is relatively OK(not comparing to 1.5dci meg =)). So, the only thing I had to do is not to compete with random guys on the road, who defo want to overtake Clio RS )
And i totally disagree that stock suspension on 200 is too firm - the roads were very different, but we had no issues with it. I find it comfortable even for long trips. Seems that my daughter too )

Anyway, great track, great weather
7268f34s-960.jpg

great car
4668f34s-960.jpg

BTW, fitted new stock brake pads all around, changed the fluid - and brake pedal now feels much more trusty. It was like 15% of pads left on each axis.

Below are some videos. GPS works awful on that track, so I need to relocate the reciever somehow, probably under the windscreen. Currently, I had to remove the speed and track map overlays as the data is not relevant at all.

Later found a lap that was some .8 seconds faster, but it is much more clean and boring than videos above and I was too lazy to apply an overlay once again.
Actually, can't decide whether in-car camera works better than an outside one or not. Any thoughts?

Done 4 sessions total. Could have even more, but started to feel a bit tired which is dangerous on a track like this, so decided that it is quite enough.

Last edited:
Thanks, mate.

Actually, haven't been here for so long. Will try to keep the thread up to date.

Some random observations:
-Clio RS can do things different than participating in the track days
IMG_20140614_140547820_HDR.jpg

-Stock tyres are generally OK, but do not stand track use. Here is what happened with mine:
b5d482cs-480.jpg

-There is a poor man's approach for fitting action camera inside

61485ccs-480.jpg

Last edited:
Been to rally-sprint on public roads of small town near Saint-Petersburg back in october
ad1286cs-960.jpg

Tarmac was very cold, so new set of Hankook RS-3 was starting to get a grip only by the end of each attempt. Managed to be 7th of 26 in class(there are really fast guys there), but ahead of all other clios.

Last edited:
That looks like absolutely epic fun. Did think that red van was going to spring out and take you out though! Can't see that type of event happening over here unfortunately.

That looks like absolutely epic fun. Did think that red van was going to spring out and take you out though! Can't see that type of event happening over here unfortunately.
Yeah, I was a bit scared of the red van too. Throttle was released for an half of second before I realized that it does not cross the track =)

We do not have a lot of such events too, because blocking streets for a day is not what everyone in city administration wants to do for racers.
So, it usually happens once a year, and every car enthusiast in the region tries to be there.

The last event of the season I've been to was on a local kart track. I thought it would be a huge advantage for me as I do go-karting here at least once a week. I know the track in both directions, every corner and every curb is familiar.
bb349cs-960.jpg

Of course I was wrong. Karts are a bit different in terms of both size, suspension and speed feeling. Additionally, it was very damn cold, and there were no place to warm up the tyres...
I've done three stupid attempts. Before the third one, marshall on the start asked whether I'm able to not spin in the same corner. I said no problem.

fdb349cs-960.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is a bit in the past, but it's getting closer to this moment.
We have winter here, and despite ice on lakes is not yet that sick, I've found few possibilities to try the car on slippery track.
While 90% of people who participate winter events uses the same ContiIceContact tyres, I bought not that cool Hankook iPike for the half of the price of Conti's. It means, there is no chance to be close to the top for me. I did not think Hankook will be that awful in terms of ice grip(however, it works ok for my everyday commutes).
First event was on almost-abandoned TechnoRing racing facility.
ab5033cs-960.jpg

275033cs-960.jpg
Was a bit scary for me because it is narrow and rough enough, has a small jump on an inner line, and, finally, I am for the first time on Clio on ice.
There were lot of misunderstanding between me and the car. A lot of understeer, a lot of handbrake and huge problem with throttle sharpness. All in all, it was fun

Last edited: