Rocas's Flame Red 220T (goodbye 201)

On the 'Ring we had one afternoon on Saturday and then couple of evenings during the week. Funny enough, on Saturday on the first lap when I was about to turn into the T13 section to the right, something was odd. There was no turn. It was one of a few days in a season when they do have a VLN config on Touristenfahren...
I can't express how awesome it is to be on the 'Ring with your daily/trackday car. It's just so good, when you have the familiar weapon blasting through these corners.
02withmini.jpg
03afterwipper.jpg

While looking for the pics of me, found this one BTW. It is the same car I've rented out last year
04met_my_friend.jpg

But I need a picture from the caroussel, right?
caroussel.jpg
Right!

Given the weather and frequent track closures(one for that black Clio spinning over a Swedenkreutz), We did not manage to do A LOT of laps. However, I did feel that I had enough of them for the trip. There were busy ones, there were less busy ones, but every single one carried a ton of fun.
Here is the best one I've managed to do

Reactions: SeanTheSheep
Then came Spa. We took a half-day with four sessions as it seemed like a bargain.
01line.jpg
And it was, as for the first-timer I seem to had what I needed. I will do whatever it takes and spend more time with the track next time, but no complaints on this shorter approach. As a side note, at Spa it makes sense to go for open pitlane rather than sessions as warm-up lap takes a quarter of the session time. Given that for some reason brakes needed some rest mid-session, it was around 3 to 4 fast laps per session in the best case with no yellows or reds.

02band.jpg
Traffic is fun. Some slow-to-very slow cars, some crazy-fast ones, but no issue at all. First sessions seemed a bit busy, but the last ones became free from slower cars, so we only had to watch out GT-something-RSes in the mirrors.
03train.jpg
04offroadtrain.jpg

I expected Spa to be very special and it definitely was very special. I thought that I'm here for that one Eau Rouge-Raidillon, but at the place I discovered the second-best corner in my internal corner rating: Pouhon. It does not look promising, but in reality there is so much speed and you keep it so long. And yes, Spa is the first place where I started thinking i need more power: some Megane would fit Kemmel and Blanchimont waaay better. But for all other instances, I still like Clio more.
As it frequently happens, i had a slight fail tech-wise. Post factum I've found out that Race Chrono was set up for internal GPS and no OBD, so the overlay lacks GPS accuracy and RPM/Throttle position from OBD

PS both BMWs typically broke. On the first and second sessions consequently. Sad for guys were not able to enjoy the track fully - but that's a good reason to return to this place. Luckily, after two crazy days, both cars were up and running, took their laps at the 'Ring and successfully returned back home.

Couple more pics from the trip
01eifel.jpg
Just Eifel

alpine.jpg
With this gorgeous cousin

underthebridge.jpg
Under the bridge

family.jpg
I promised a caroussel to my daughter

Reactions: Sean197
good to see you are putting your clio in work..lovely pics too...hope she is all ok and no mechanical issues..

good to see you are putting your clio in work..lovely pics too...hope she is all ok and no mechanical issues..
She loves being abused this way.
Mechanically, there were nothing extraordinary for the whole trip. One rear hub bearing had gone during the trip - I started to hear something on the way back, but not critical at all. To add, I've found a pothole 50 miles to my home and damaged the front spring, so fitted a fresh set.
Everything else was perfect. Even the pads and tyres were still good.

One sad thing I've noticed though is that car gets oil-hundry in an autobahn mode. I mean, even on the track it is hardly noticeable. But when you do hours of 150-170kmh, it just starts to disappear. And I can't convince myself that there is a way to go slower :smile:

Reactions: Pav
A couple of month back from the story/ We knew we wouldn't have a lot of laps. So, there was a need to get as much track knowledge as possible, but cheap. Does not sound untypical. And this problem has an obvious solution - simulator.
So, you take AssettoCorsa or iRacing(both of which have the tracks needed), pick a reasonably similar car and do you laps. So we did.

But we are nerds to some extent. So we needed a Clio. Kind of not a problem in AC modding world - there were two. The issue though is that despite these look good visually, one of them was just bad and the other was awful.
Then we decided that we have to fix that. One of the mods was un-packed and we started playing with it.
I would be honest to say I was not doing a lot of dirty work, but rather suggesting the ideas, approaches and testing the results.
eaurouge.jpg

There were two good things: visual appearence and engine power curve. We have set up correct gearbox ratios - easy part.
then came suspension. It was all wrong. to the point where the center of the mass of the car was below the ground. We spent weeks trying to fix it, but came to the conclusion that other approach is needed. So, we took a suspension from Abarth, modified it to fit the car and started testing. Still bad, but miles better.
kinematics.jpg
See all the thin lines showing the kinematics of the suspension

Testing, adjustment, testing, adjustment - and after some time spent we were close to what we needed. We did not only test the behavior(like lift-off oversteer and so on), but also compared different real-world onboards with what we see in the sim. Corner speeds, car behavior, everything.
And I believe that we came close enough.
01-wheel-s.jpg
Sim
01-wheel-r.jpg
Real

02-jump-s.jpg
Sim
02-jump-r.jpg
Real

If anyone is interested, the mod lives here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx34k57L0GO4Y0RsSURaeWVpcm8/view

So... 50 days ago I occasionally found myself in the land of autobahns and that one unrestricted one-way 20.8km toll road with the understanding that I'll spend a couple of years here... I wouldn't dive deep in the boring stuff about how I got to that point and how smooth my move was, but let's talk about cars here :smile:

There were a lot of thougths of what wold I do with the car starting from the idea of bringing my 201 to the idea of buying some boring diesel high-speed cruiser. The latter one did not make any sense to me because why on earth would I buy boring car living a couple of hours from Spa?! I mean, cost-saving, comfort and all - but that's not my cup of tea.
On the other hand, bringing the car that I've driven for 4 years did not sound just right for a couple of reasons:
-201 is really not very good in terms of casual autobahn driving. Both noise and fuel consumtion on speeds higher than 130km/h are unreasonable
-the car is not getting any newer and I was concerned about the maintenance costs in Germany
-finally, 4 years is a long way and I felt that something shall be changed.

So, the Clio was quickly sold to another soon-to-be renaultsport fan and I moved on.

Quickly after the landing, I took a cheap rental car to move around and it happened to be the very new 1-litre little beast. Honestly, it made me think seriously about getting the new ST as the car, given it's not-so-powerful engine, is enjoyable by any menans. Fun to drive, great interior, pretty quiet and well-packed with these modern electronic things here and there.
IMG_20180623_141604.jpg
But the ST was not on sale at this point, and there was a major reason why I was not considering it seriously - and it has nothing to do with the performance. It seems that this car has no mounting points for the roof rack - which I need for skis(yes, I'm that guy who wants to carry skis in a hot-hatch:smile:)

So, I've found the car with such mounting points. It happens to be a Clio. '17 Trophy with Bose and almost nothing else in it. No, no, I'm not an RS-addict. Okay, yes, I am.
IMG_20180703_091853.jpg IMG_20180703_091917.jpg

A couple of words need to be said about the car. I know, I know, there is already a number of people who had followed this path from C3RS to C4RS, but I still feel I need to express my thoughts.

First, the car is fun! It is a bit loger routine to get it - previously I just needed to downshift and it all started. Now it is more like launching a rocket: you turn off the cruise switch, push RS button and move the gear lever to the left - and only then it becomes alive. So, you can't do this occasionally - you have to be sure that it is something you need right now.
More on the handling and other high-performance things to come later on.

Then, the Trophy is so much more usable. Don't get me wrong, I was fine driving the previous generation both daily and on a long trips with the whole family. But here - the fuel consumption on high speeds, the noise and the Bose sound after all, make autobahn cruising on any reasonable speed(I tend to set a cruise to 150-160kmh on a long trips) pretty comfortable.
In addition, I am among the lucky guys with late '17 production, which means Android Auto is supported. Okay, it is noticeably slow, but anyways, this is far better than all these ugly ways to put the phone in front of the drivers face.
Bose is not an audiophile's dream, but in comparison with what I had previously... No words can describe this difference. On the downside, though, I was kind of surprised it literally took a half of the trunk to put the amplifier there.

Speaking of the 'box... Well, I am surprised that I say it - but in the RS/Race mode I love this box. It is _really_ fast. I still prefer full manual race mode, but even in R.S. it remains to be good.
In a slow and dense traffic it is useful as well in full auto. However, there are downsides too. When you need to overtake quickly on the road - I would prefer to be able to downshift two gears, rev-match and fly over that car in front. Here, going from 6th to 4rd is just painfully slow regardless if you kick-down or pull the left paddle. I mean, this is okay and the performance in auto is better than it is with most of the cars around. But still, there are rare times when I think that manual would kill it.

Next is handling. The amount of grip feels good, the stiffness is just right for the car, steering is a bit more artificial, but is good too. The car is much more stable - which might be a good thing for a lap time, but in terms of fun it's not THAT playful. The setup is shifterd towards understeer, so I was not able to achieve the famous lift-off oversteer which was the way the previous car was entering every other corner. Still, again, I would not complain a lot about it.

And then, there is a most disappointing thing I have discovered driving on mountain roads and the 'ring: brakes. I've read multiple reviews that due to the fact that the discs are bigger now, brakes are okay despite the fact that these are not brembos.

IMG_20180708_105951.jpg vlcsnap-2018-07-11-15h29m52s600.png vlcsnap-2018-07-11-15h36m45s843.png
Driving the Stelvio Pass(picturesque, but from the driving prospective, the traffic and limited visibility make the surroundings miles better than the Pass itself), I just found them being really hot.
But on the 'Ring which is not considered as a road that requires an outstanding brake setup, I was really worried to do two laps in a row - in the middle of the lap the brakes start to feel worse.
And, having done six laps in total, I now have wobbling on braking. It was awful right after the trip and slightly better now - but still it is noticeable.
I've asked some advice in the appropriate section of the forum, but no answers so far:
http://clio197.net/threads/220t-200t-brake-questions.60493/

Regarding the 'Ring... Done six laps in total, 2 on saturday evening on wet/steaming/damp/dry track.
racetracker_4785305_70576.jpg
The second was with an awesome occasional RS train including the Megane, me and white 201 Cup. Megane was a bit cautious on a semi-wet road, but I decided it will be fun to follow. The same was probably the thought of the guy in Clio behind me, as he was definitely faster.
racetracker_4785771_70522.jpg
Then, on sunday I've done 4 more laps in dry conditions. The car is fast! All these long straits that go uphill - the difference is huge.
Stability is on the other level too. As I said, a bit less fun, but the confidence is on a different level.
Again, I am deeply concerned with the brakes, but it looks like there are reasonable upgrades which can make them better.

As of the timing. Even on the stock tires I was considerably faster than my result on 201 with AD08R which are simply in other league in terms of the grip. So, I would say that the potiential of this car in stock(with proper tyres and pads) is HUUGE. Love it!

Sadly, after all these laps, wet track, traffic etc, I fucked up. That innocent stone on the Quddlebach parking lot was moved by my bumper - as I did not see it and did not recall it standing at that place.
IMG_20180715_122749.jpg
Given the not-so-bad looking damage, the repair estimate is ridiculously high, so I have to use the insurance for the first time in 5 years or so. For a car I've just bought a couple of weeks back.
No pasaran. Both this and the brakes will be sorted out. Hoping to visit Spa some time later this year.

Great little review there, and agree with everything you have mentioned. I have the Bose also, and boot space is comical!
I have upgraded my brakes to DS2500 pads, RBF600 fluid (1.5 litres to be on the safe side) and braided lines all round. Rear discs and pads are standard. No issues out on track at all.
Gutted for you hitting the front, you must have felt sick. I remember when I kerbed my first alloy, I was in a bad place, a bumper would have made me commit suicide! I guess that's what insurance is for at the end of the day.
Look forward to seeing more updates... I'd highly recommend a centre silencer delete, it sounds amazing!

Reactions: Rocas
I have upgraded my brakes to DS2500 pads, RBF600 fluid (1.5 litres to be on the safe side) and braided lines all round. Rear discs and pads are standard. No issues out on track at all.
Cool, this is already on my shopping list. Did you remove the spoilers? What is the process, as it turns out that these are not secured with bolts as far as I was able to see.

I'd highly recommend a centre silencer delete, it sounds amazing!
Brakes first, and then we'll see :smile:
My concern would be that the regular speed on autobahns is rather high and I'd like to maintain the level of comfort I have. I've heard that it dores not do a difference on a motorway speeds, but I'm not sure regarding the fast motorway speeds.

Updates to come as I do have something cool to share, but it is not yet in the final stage - so I'd take my time to present it once it is ready.

Reactions: Micah
Cool, this is already on my shopping list. Did you remove the spoilers? What is the process, as it turns out that these are not secured with bolts as far as I was able to see.

Brakes first, and then we'll see :smile:
My concern would be that the regular speed on autobahns is rather high and I'd like to maintain the level of comfort I have. I've heard that it dores not do a difference on a motorway speeds, but I'm not sure regarding the fast motorway speeds.

The spoilers were removed at the last service while it was on the ramp. I believe they are just rivets that you drill out, dead easy to do anyway.
I had a very bad experience with a Scorpion exhaust on my Mk3, so drone is always on my mind. I don't think I've noticed any difference, it's mainly for extra pops coming off the gas which becomes very addictive in Sport mode :tongueout:

Reactions: Rocas
yeah, I've seen that it is probably the rivets. Not sure why they did it in a non-reusable way )

Extra pops - is might be something I would fall in love with )