Reyland floating 330 discs?

It amazes me that folk see the need to increase the size of the brakes further.

They are simply uneccessary and will make no difference over the standard system with good pads with anything but very wide, very sticky tyres.

If your brakes work well and and you've got good pads, then your tyres are the limiting factor in braking not the size of your brakes. :grinning:

Reactions: Gus

They are simply uneccessary and will make no difference over the standard system with good pads with anything but very wide, very sticky tyres.

If your brakes work well and and you've got good pads, then your tyres are the limiting factor in braking not the size of your brakes. :grinning:
I beg to differ. My 355mm reylands and megane calipers are unbelievable, as good as anything I've owned (Ferrari 360 CS with carbon discs, Noble GTO3R, 911s, etc.) Much better than the standard setup imo

Reactions: sevenfourate
I'd be utterly amazed if you couldn't lock the tyres with standard brakes in good working order and performance pads.

If that is the case you must have almighty tyres. Mine will easily lock AD08Rs without much pedal pressure.

They may have better feel through an improved caliper, but just increasing the radius will do nothing but upset the braking balance. They will FEEL stronger because you will need less pedal pressure, but at the threshold it will be slower as the rears will be doing less (unless they've been upgraded or you're giving them more of the bias).

For longer races I'm sure there would be some benefit too but how many people on this forum do endurance racing in their Clio?

I beg to differ. My 355mm reylands and megane calipers are unbelievable, as good as anything I've owned (Ferrari 360 CS with carbon discs, Noble GTO3R, 911s, etc.) Much better than the standard setup imo

Did you try using uprated pads on the standard setup Gordini?
When I got the car I was mightily impressed with the brakes at how "over-braked" the car is, everyone who drives it says the same thing.

I am not denying your brakes are not good, I bet they are, but I think unnecessary on a standard-ish powered Clio 197/200, I think some uprated pads, fluid and brakelines will give you everything you need.

I had a ~300bhp S14a 200sx that I used to track, I uprated to R33 Skyline GTST calipers front and back to keep the bias and uprated pads, people said I "NEED" to go to R33 GTR brakes but I didn't and I gave it so much crap on track and it took the abuse and was spot on, even at the Nürburgring.

Uhhh can of worms opened sorry guys...just for my own sanity I decided to go with Brembo HC fronts, K Tec black edition on rears, ds1.11 on front ds 2500 on rears, would love to have had bigger discs for me its really looks alone.

I put my sensible hat on and decided to spend less on the discs so I then have some money to retrim my steering wheel etc, got some better pads - general feeling here is Brembo HC are a good choice for road - has to be better than mine as they are, also thinking having my front calipers stripped cleaned etc at the same time.

Uhhh can of worms opened sorry guys...just for my own sanity I decided to go with Brembo HC fronts, K Tec black edition on rears, ds1.11 on front ds 2500 on rears, would love to have had bigger discs for me its really looks alone.

I put my sensible hat on and decided to spend less on the discs so I then have some money to retrim my steering wheel etc, got some better pads - general feeling here is Brembo HC are a good choice for road - has to be better than mine as they are, also thinking having my front calipers stripped cleaned etc at the same time.

Sounds like a very good set-up you'll have, there won't be much out-braking you!

Reactions: suj
Sounds like a very good set-up you'll have, there won't be much out-braking you!

Hopefully!! - as they are they just dont inspire confidence, not that I drive fast to be honest, but when my Seat Ateca out brakes my Clio there is something not quite right!

Hopefully!! - as they are they just dont inspire confidence, not that I drive fast to be honest, but when my Seat Ateca out brakes my Clio there is something not quite right!

Sounds like your calipers need a strip/clean and/or your fluid needs a refresh! The standard brakes are very good under 'normal' driving conditions. You'll definitely notice a difference then with the new set-up.

Agreed. Although there are benefits of a larger two-piece disc when it comes to heat dissipation/soak.

Plus, they look cool AF. Joking. Kinda.

Having seen @Gordini car in the flesh then I can definitely say that if any Clio warrants a big brake setup then it's his:sunglasses:
Basically, standard don't cut it.
As for performance I'd take his word on it. Hes got no reason to exaggerate.

Just saying:grinning:

Having seen @Gordini car in the flesh then I can definitely say that if any Clio warrants a big brake setup then it's his:sunglasses:
Basically, standard don't cut it.
As for performance I'd take his word on it. Hes got no reason to exaggerate.

Just saying:grinning:

What sort of power is it running as a matter of intrest?

At least you're honest! It's an unpopular opinion but I also prefer larger discs for aesthetic purposes only too.

Reactions: kevlar
I know you've got your mind set on bigger brakes but have you regularly serviced your current brakes. I've found that they really suffer without a regular service. I've just done mine after 18months of ownership to find the inner front pads were not moving as they should and one of the rears was binding slightly. The brakes were strong and stopped fine, even passed an mot. But since giving them a clean and regrease the improvement has been quite vast. So before you shell out £600 on bigger rotors, might be worth making sure what you've got is working to its max potential.

At least you're honest! It's an unpopular opinion but I also prefer larger discs for aesthetic purposes only too.

I appreciate it more if people say they want them for looks! Damn I think they look great! :grinning:

Just trying to help people to understand there's a bit of a misconception about big, multi-pot brakes always being necessary.

Different car, less weight but you may appreciate the significance...
My track MX5 that laps pretty quickly still uses 255mm standard 1 pot brakes, just with very good pads!

I know you've got your mind set on bigger brakes but have you regularly serviced your current brakes. I've found that they really suffer without a regular service. I've just done mine after 18months of ownership to find the inner front pads were not moving as they should and one of the rears was binding slightly. The brakes were strong and stopped fine, even passed an mot. But since giving them a clean and regrease the improvement has been quite vast. So before you shell out £600 on bigger rotors, might be worth making sure what you've got is working to its max potential.

Ive only owned it for around 9 months discs and pads all original, rear calipers stripped down repainted as they were not great, front calipers not been done yet thats all part of my plan from day 1 to upgrade tyres and discs and pads add braided hoses - Ive had lots of work done on my car its cost a fortune so just did the stuff I had to do first, now moving on bit by bit and the brakes are my next to sort rear discs and pads arrived today thank to 10% discount at K Tec the weekend...

Im not just replacing like for like for me its about upgrading so regardless its on my list to upgrade the brakes, just to what degreee I do it and im sure the ferodo pads will be a step up from th erenault standard pads, although agree they are not that bad.

As I said ive decided to go brembo hc on fronts with ds1.11 as I got a stupidly good deal on this setup and the saving of big rotors enables me to do some others bits I want to do and still have some money in my pocket!

Ive only owned it for around 9 months discs and pads all original, rear calipers stripped down repainted as they were not great, front calipers not been done yet thats all part of my plan from day 1 to upgrade tyres and discs and pads add braided hoses - Ive had lots of work done on my car its cost a fortune so just did the stuff I had to do first, now moving on bit by bit and the brakes are my next to sort rear discs and pads arrived today thank to 10% discount at K Tec the weekend...

Im not just replacing like for like for me its about upgrading so regardless its on my list to upgrade the brakes, just to what degreee I do it and im sure the ferodo pads will be a step up from th erenault standard pads, although agree they are not that bad.

As I said ive decided to go brembo hc on fronts with ds1.11 as I got a stupidly good deal on this setup and the saving of big rotors enables me to do some others bits I want to do and still have some money in my pocket!
I've got Brembo HC ds2500 front and Renault/ds2500 rear. Brakes are excellent. Can only imagine how good the ds1.11 are:grinning:

I have ds 1.11s on mine and they are very good however I have found them to be very powdery even with just a quick drive down the road, however this doesn't really bother me as mine is not a daily more of a track car / weekend car but letting anybody know who likes to keep there wheels spotless, you will be cleaning the wheels more often lol