Renault Sport Dilemma

Right... I'm in a bit of a pickle ATM on what to do.

First of I own a 197 for my daily driver and a ph1 172 for a track car. As I type I've only done one track day in the 172 but plan to do quite a few next year, I'd like to get a least 5 in the 6 months the 172 will be on the road.

As you can imagine it would be quite expensive running 2 Clio Sports, and my plan to just insure the 172 weekly to go and do track days in it goes down the pan as if a car is taxed, it needs to be insured aswell.

I'm thinking of selling the 197 in March next year, and getting the 172 on the road so I can do as many track days as I can.

I look at both of them on my drive and love the look of both of them,

Also I've had the 197 18 months now and I'm starting to feel that it needs a bit more grunt.

Why don't I use the 197 on track you ask?

Well the main reason is due to cost, I'd rather chuck a £1000 car around than a £8000 car. If I crashed (touch wood) the 197 I would be so p****d off. And if I crashed the 172, well it's a lot cheaper car and it would be easy to just buy another one.

I might not be as quick around a track as a 197/200 but It still put an awesome smile on my face and can't wait to do another one.

Any advice be great, and sorry for the long read.

You'll have more fun in the 172 because the fear of crashing it isn't there.

You'd always be worrying about the 197 and not driving it to its full potential.

I think you've made your mind up.

can you not sorn one car whilst using the other - then if anything happens just put it back on the road

say sorn the clio 197 for 6month use the 172 for travel and track days then sorn that when finished and put the 197 back on the road?

can you not sorn one car whilst using the other - then if anything happens just put it back on the road

say sorn the clio 197 for 6month use the 172 for travel and track days then sorn that when finished and put the 197 back on the road?

That's what I'm doing ATM.

But that would mean using the 197 in the winter months and it not being used.. I'd hate to see it on my drive and not being able to drive it.

The only thing I'd say about using a car as a daily and track.

What would happen if you did blow the engine or bump the car on track?

Oh dear, you are in a pickle here!

The end of my 197 was using an ST for a month....I don't regret it at all, I adore the 182 so much, I wouldnt have a 197 again.

But really, only you can decide what you want to do!

Just don't crash.

It's a principal that works quite well.

I had similar concerns, I tracked mine from fairly new. You don't have to go 11/10ths everywhere to enjoy it on track and it seems to be it'd be difficult to crash the Clio. It's not powerful enough to be torublesome and never really gets unsettled.

Last edited:
Yeah there are odd sections i've thought lets not push it but then you soon forget or i do.

really depends on track conditions.

I went straight on at the bank complex at bedford as it had just started to rain down at that corner but no where else yet.

It was very late in the day, 30 mins to go and decided to call it a day.

You'll have more fun in the 172 because the fear of crashing it isn't there.

You'd always be worrying about the 197 and not driving it to its full potential.

I think you've made your mind up.

^^ I agree, I know I'm slower in the 197 than I should be purely because I don't want to stack it. I still really enjoy track time though don't get me wrong, but I know I'd enjoy it more in something I cared for less. Perfect example was our recent How Fast sessions, I spent the practice sessions lapping quite happily but not wanting to wreck the car/put too much stress on a gearbox I'm already losing sleep over. Then for the 4 lap timed runs, I dropped the misses off in the pits and put in 4 balls to the wall laps. I went several seconds per lap quicker...

As soon as your on track you forget about trashing it.

I don't :001_rolleyes::tongueout:inky:

Id go for the 172 and enjoy tracking it. Flog the 197 and have some spare dosh to run the 172.

By the way, I dont think your 197 will be worth £8000, if thats what you think, so thats worth considering if you sell it. You can get a great Clio 200 from a dealer for just £8500.

Id go for the 172 and enjoy tracking it. Flog the 197 and have some spare dosh to run the 172.

By the way, I dont think your 197 will be worth £8000, if thats what you think, so thats worth considering if you sell it. You can get a great Clio 200 from a dealer for just £8500.

You can't just say there's a 200 for £8.5K

His Clio could be a 58 plate, low mileage, top spec. They still fetch that money.
The 200 is probably a basic poverty spec. Just because it's a newer shape, means nothing

You can't just say there's a 200 for £8.5K

His Clio could be a 58 plate, low mileage, top spec. They still fetch that money.
The 200 is probably a basic poverty spec. Just because it's a newer shape, means nothing

have a look on autotrader before anyone starts talking 197/200 prices!!!! ;/

I know prices are coming down. What I mean is, I'd rather have top spec of something, than the base spec of something else. Model means nothing. Some people even prefer the 197.

I didn't mean the value was £8000, that was when I bought the car. Obvs not worth that now.

It would be good to have a little dosh sitting in the bank..

I didn't mean the value was £8000, that was when I bought the car. Obvs not worth that now.

It would be good to have a little dosh sitting in the bank..

Snag is with a track day, if you just lightly prang it, then it cost the same sort of money in either a 197 or 172 to put it right.

I ran a 172 and ragged it to death on track days, so if you like pushing it to the limit on the cheap, its an ace choice.