Renault Clio Negative Image?

@kevlar careful my 220T is just as good as my old 200 better in a lot of ways bud
I have no doubt it is i said if i drove the new 200 i would see it differently - just commenting how poorly built the lower spec ones i drove were. I had a megane f1 r26 one of my favourite cars i have owned but i would have to say its not that greatly built for example the petrol cap cover was not even flush with the rear panel - however still one of my top cars ive owned.

Load of bollocks mate..I have a 2006 197 and it never missed a beat..did loads to it as well and never had any issues..
Get one and you will see..there may be some problems but all cars have some..

Last edited:
I have no doubt it is i said if i drove the new 200 i would see it differently - just commenting how poorly built the lower spec ones i drove were. I had a megane f1 r26 one of my favourite cars i have owned but i would have to say its not that greatly built for example the petrol cap cover was not even flush with the rear panel - however still one of my top cars ive owned.
The 220 build quality is fantastic for Nissan/Renault

Reactions: kevlar
Renault deserve they're dodgy reputation, but it's more the dealers inability to fix anything around here. But I have three and wouldn't buy anything else

It sounds like everyone has put your mind at ease already, so just to add that the people who bash Renaults/french cars have probably never owned one, so are more than likely just jumping on the bandwagon. A lot of us on here have had our fair share of problems with our cars, but I think we'd all still recommend buying one in a heartbeat!

I really like these cars and i definitely will recommend on .
I think they are reliable cars BUT didnt skipped from faults.(like almost every other car so its ok..)
As i said it has its own weak spots but its nothing critical(the gearbox can be abit expensive but its not that often either).
I really really like these cars and i consider them as reliable cars! Its not honda or toyota corolla but they definitely provide the work!
There is sometimes people who has many problems and really fell on lemon exampler but this can happen in every car so once again -its ok! but as long as you get a good exampler youll be fine!
And as for renault reputation- its true they have had many faults in their cars but not in all models and years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy
I'd not try and put anyone off buying one of these cars as the grin factor outways the possible running costs.

I've had my 197 five and a half years and it's just 8 years old, I suppose most of this could be classed as wear and tear but I do a fair few track days so stuff can wear out quicker plus I use sticky tyres and have a full vibratechnics set up.

It's done less than 70k miles but I've replaced rear discs 3 times but all three times for the bearings not worn out discs, the dealer put cheap discs on before I bought it (30k miles) but each time I've done it I've used genuine Renault discs. I've replaced both front bearings (1 either side) and over xmas I replaced both bottom ball joints, 1 was worn 1 was soon to be ready.

I have a broken front spring at the moment that I'm just in the process of sorting out but this is the 3rd spring I've broken, 2nd on the passenger side, to be fair each time I've replaced them (cup type) with second hand ones so they could all have been the same age/mileage but they are prone for it. I had a rear damper replaced under warranty also.

I had a gearbox at 50k and just before that the flexis broke on the manifold so that was replaced with a toyosports.

Sounds like quite a list put like this but I've enjoyed my time with it and have no intention of replacing yet or for a while.

I'd not try and put anyone off buying one of these cars as the grin factor outways the possible running costs.

I've had my 197 five and a half years and it's just 8 years old, I suppose most of this could be classed as wear and tear but I do a fair few track days so stuff can wear out quicker plus I use sticky tyres and have a full vibratechnics set up.

It's done less than 70k miles but I've replaced rear discs 3 times but all three times for the bearings not worn out discs, the dealer put cheap discs on before I bought it (30k miles) but each time I've done it I've used genuine Renault discs. I've replaced both front bearings (1 either side) and over xmas I replaced both bottom ball joints, 1 was worn 1 was soon to be ready.

I have a broken front spring at the moment that I'm just in the process of sorting out but this is the 3rd spring I've broken, 2nd on the passenger side, to be fair each time I've replaced them (cup type) with second hand ones so they could all have been the same age/mileage but they are prone for it. I had a rear damper replaced under warranty also.

I had a gearbox at 50k and just before that the flexis broke on the manifold so that was replaced with a toyosports.

Sounds like quite a list put like this but I've enjoyed my time with it and have no intention of replacing yet or for a while.

I think you sum it up well there - in a nutshell, owners either accept the costs because they love the car for what it is and what enjoyment it gives them; or it puts people off as all they see is a draining bank balance with none of the positives. I do think you have to really love these cars to accept the costs, especially if they tend to come thick and fast when you're one of the more unfortunate ones. There's a fair few recent examples of that on the forum.

Reactions: nutnutwelshman
But LOOK AT me on my 11th RS 12th on the way they are just a Fantastic Smile per mile car nothing for the money comes close @fezza555 as I've said all cars have problems so buy the best one you can and rag the living daylights out of it oh Enjoy

I think to the average person or mild enthusiast they are effected by their perception of branding. No different from people wanting a TAG watch over other lesser known swiss brands just for the image.

Most eople won't even think about it long enough to ask what's great about a Renault sport over a regular Renault.

I have a 1954 Bentley Rtype drophead,y LP570-4 and a Bentley Continental GT.

Clio is honestly my favorite and i love tossing the keys to valets at 5 star hotels. The other night my car was parked here for 4 hrs!! VIP Renault lolIMG_20170311_204529.jpg

Thanks all for the advice! I went for the RB200 and I am so impressed, what a fantastic car! I have had the most fun in a car this week. It has an aftermarket exhaust which sounds great! Although not sure what it is, despite saying Akrapovic all over it the exhaust isnt't full stainless, meaning it is something else? Decided to give a her a good clean and wax today. Hopefully start a progress thread soon although I am very happy how she looks at the moment.
SAM_1639 (2).JPG

glad you ended up with this beauty mate..looks spot on...take the diffuser off and take a pic..we will be able to tell which system you have on...enjoy your new toy

Awesome car in a great colour, it likely is an Akra they aren't polished like other systems, here's a pic of mine so if it looks like this then you have an akra.
IMG_20170407_164252.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all for the advice! I went for the RB200 and I am so impressed, what a fantastic car! I have had the most fun in a car this week. It has an aftermarket exhaust which sounds great! Although not sure what it is, despite saying Akrapovic all over it the exhaust isnt't full stainless, meaning it is something else? Decided to give a her a good clean and wax today. Hopefully start a progress thread soon although I am very happy how she looks at the moment.
View attachment 18406

You won't regret it mate :smile: