Removing Turtlewax platinum extra gloss

stuey

Gold Member
Hi, I put a coat of this on my new 200 about a month ago, and wanted to remove it so I can put some turtlewax platinum car wax on first. Whats the best way to get it off? If its a bad idea to wax the car already (only about 6 weeks old) please let me know!! I thought getting a coat of wax and then the sealer gloss on before winter sets in would be a good idea.

give it a good wash with strong mix of washing up liquid and hot water. Its a degreaser, or splash out on a degreaser detergent

Use a clay bar. A mild one should get everything off the paint that you've put on, plus any other nasty bits of grime, so obviously you will need to seal and wax it again afterwards so the paint is protected for winter.

To remove wax I rinse the car off then give the car a spray with neat Poorboys APC and wash the car in the normal way, giving the APC a bit of aggetation. Rinse off and its all gone :smile:

Or...

Just use a paint cleanser, which is designed to cleanse the paint, and remove anything on it - something which you should be doing anyway

You want to put the TW Wax on before the Platinum Extra Gloss? PEG is a sealant, so won't bond properly to a waxed surface, which just sits on top of the paint - a sealant will bond to the paint.

I would buy some AG Super Resin Polish (the red label), then add the PEG. This is a durable combination as it is, and will look good, so I don't see the point of adding the TW Wax personally.

Also, claying isn't a bad idea if you haven't already, but clay will not always remove your wax/sealant, especially something as durable as PEG.

So.... wash, clay, re-wash, SRP then PEG. Then, if you must, top with your wax, but a lot of the TW range isn't wonderful, except for PEG :smile:

Russ.

Thanks for the replys. According to the instructions, the wax should go on first, then the extra gloss on top of that. I already have it, and dont really want to get something else if I can help it. I am aiming for a good layer of protection, not a concours finish. Wouldnt be much point anyway, since Renault cant paint a car for toffee if my car is any example.
I remembered I have a tin of water based anti silicone panel wipe, which should be ideal?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys. According to the instructions, the wax should go on first, then the extra gloss on top of that. I already have it, and dont really want to get something else if I can help it. I am aiming for a good layer of protection, not a concours finish. Wouldnt be much point anyway, since Renault cant paint a car for toffee if my car is any example.
I remembered I have a tin of water based anti silicone panel wipe, which should be ideal?

What Russ has told you above is a great way to protect your paint work.. Its all very good priced products too! As for the instructions, i would rather listen to Russ lol.

Perhaps I should go and swap the TW wax for the SRP (haven't used it yet!), I take it AG refers to Autoglym? What about using the anti silicone panel wipe first?

Just read this thread again, just want to get the order right. A polish cleans the paint, you then add sealer afterwards. Then you add a coat of wax if you want on top? I am confused as the TW instructions say wax then PEG on top. I am more than happy to take the advice of the experts on here though!!

Just read this thread again, just want to get the order right. A polish cleans the paint, you then add sealer afterwards. Then you add a coat of wax if you want on top? I am confused as the TW instructions say wax then PEG on top. I am more than happy to take the advice of the experts on here though!!
correct, polish cleans and corrects the paint but does protect it. Sealants and wax dont clean or correct the paint, they can help the apperance but their main purpose is protection.

Remember that sealants go on first, wax will stick to sealant but sealant dont stick to wax :smile: