Removing F1 vinyl...

Doogle

Winner - POTM March 2018
Ladies and gents,

I have done a fair amount to my little Clio in a month and have come to the realisation that driving it round, being a standard 'full fat' 197, with the F1/R27 bumper stickers is like driving a BMW M sport with an M3 badge.

So I want to remove them. I prefer the 'clean' look without them anyway and am wondering the best way to remove them? Im sure they arnt designed to come off easily and I am slightly worried about discolouration around them. Any advice?

Doug

20170524_172111.jpg

Lightly go over with heat gun or hair drier and they should peel off.
"Tardis" is the best stuff to remove any glue left over.

Reactions: Doogle
As above hair drier and AutoGlym Intensive Tar Remover if no Tardis to hand. If paint shows fading and you don't have a machine polisher then try Meguiars Ultimate Compound. You are doing the right thing by removing the decals if it's not a 'real' R27.

I boiled the kettle & poured hot water over the graphics I removed from my car. Took seconds to remove & no residue left.

:smiley: Good call. Definitely the right thing to do.

As for BMW, it used to be funny when someone put an ///M badge on a 318. Now it's just sad as BMW will do it for you!

///M = Marketing these days...

:smiley: Good call. Definitely the right thing to do.

As for BMW, it used to be funny when someone put an ///M badge on a 318. Now it's just sad as BMW will do it for you!

///M = Marketing these days...

I had an e46 330cd M sport before the Clio, I removed all the badges as I dont like being flashy. It just draws attention to it in the wrong way! M sport seats are soooo much better than SE though.

Thanks gents, Ill borrow the missus hairdryer in a bit. I have plenty of polishing stuff but didnt know if the rest of the bodywork may have dulled. Ill see what it looks like when it comes off.

Done! Easier than I thought. Obviously done after factory, previous owner had stuck them over stone chips and tar spots.

Anyone want some genuine second hand F1 vinyl? :tearsofjoy:

20170607_113953.jpg

Reactions: Big Ben
Ha, well done mate. Glad it went smoothly. Who in their right mind puts permanent stickers over a dirty car???!!!

And going off Renault prices, that's about £400 worth of crumpled stickers you have there! :smiley:

I know, scary to think how much they cost! I think £150 is a fair price considering some assembly is required!

In all honesty there are a few non Renault vinyl sets that fit behind the wing vents available on eBay that look good, anyone ever tried them?

Reactions: sevenfourate
There are a few on here who have something similar mate.

If you want something making up, check out taylormadedecals on Instagram or Facebook. Top bloke and can do pretty much anything.

Done! Easier than I thought. Obviously done after factory, previous owner had stuck them over stone chips and tar spots.

Anyone want some genuine second hand F1 vinyl? :tearsofjoy:

View attachment 19539

Nice work !

Funnily enough you taking yours off - ended up the shape shape as the sun-visor I tried to put on :smile:

Glad all was painless.

For the record - on cars / bikes I always use hot water to loosen big ones where possible. And a hairdryer if the water is going to cause issues...

Reactions: ///M and Doogle
Nice work !

Funnily enough you taking yours off - ended up the shape shape as the sun-visor I tried to put on :smile:

Glad all was painless.

For the record - on cars / bikes I always use hot water to loosen big ones where possible. And a hairdryer if the water is going to cause issues...

Haha, thanks! I couldn't think of anything worse than trying to fit a sunvisor to be honest. Where did you get your vinyl decals from?

Looks better without the stickers as well.

IMG_20170607_163528_643.jpg

Reactions: sevenfourate