Red Clio Cup goes Nordschleife

Don't do it, I did it with mine (only difference is gearbox - mine is diffed and have shorter 5 and 6 gear along with short final drive - max speed at 7800rpm is 210km'h - but still thinking of buying Sadev with proper plate diff) and its not worth it in terms of money and time spent. Better sell Your car and buy a genuine X85 Cup race car.
not mentioning differences in suspension but Sadev alone costs about 6-7k EUR, steering rack along with power steering is different and expensive, wiring harness is mega money, aftermarket dash, You'll need standalone to do it right, and it should have option to run CANbus if You want Your power steering to work (Magneti Marelli SRT, Pectel SQ6M, Motec M400, from cheaper ones which i used is Ecumaster EMU) but You still need CAN protocol to enable EPAS (i'm stuck at this point), many, many aspects and at the top of this You'll spend months trying to make it work, get frustrated spending time in a garage instead of racetrack and spend lots of money, much more than used Cup car for sure. I still, after half year, didn't managed to get mine on the road.
long story short NOT WORTH IT, buy a race car instead.

I think i will upgrade some parts and drive some Races next Year.And then i will think about changing the Car.

Didn´t thought about things like Dashboard or Electricity , but i can imagine that this is much more expensive then buying the finished Car.

Also it is easier to buy the frame and start building it than using the normal street car and strip everything out.

Was thinking about it because here in Germany the car is already not allowed to drive on the Street , so i can only use it on Trackdays or Races.

Last edited:
Probably easier like jacol says to buy an X85 and make that road legal than the other way around.

Though the standalone ECU issue is no longer one for mk3's since I gave SC my car for 2 1/2 weeks. SC Delta 4 GDI ECU I have, fully integrated and working over CAN, including obviously EPAS. The only thing I currently don't have working which should, is the fuel gauge - but we will resolve that. Also you'll lose cruise control but if you are going for a Cup Racer you'll maybe switch to cable throttle anyway so you would lose CC regardless.
there's many ECUs that can handle CAN communication, including mine, although like I said there's CAN decoding on the top of that, and as we talk about X85 Cup EPAS wich is different to Mk3 Clio You'll need a cup racer to decode CAN stream and replicate it, which is my problem at the moment. Anyway, PM.

there's many ECUs that can handle CAN communication, including mine, although like I said there's CAN decoding on the top of that, and as we talk about X85 Cup EPAS wich is different to Mk3 Clio You'll need a cup racer to decode CAN stream and replicate it, which is my problem at the moment. Anyway, PM.

That's my point, CAN decoding is done now on the Mk3 with SC.
The motors on the X85 EPAS setup will be different probably, the rack certainly is. Though I doubt if the CAN coding has changed, that would likely mean replacing all the body modules and bits too.

Doesn't the Maxi Evo use Hydraulic rack though? - just run that. If doing a fresh build might as well cherry pick from across the range.

That's my point, CAN decoding is done now on the Mk3 with SC.
The motors on the X85 EPAS setup will be different probably, the rack certainly is. Though I doubt if the CAN coding has changed, that would likely mean replacing all the body modules and bits too.

Doesn't the Maxi Evo use Hydraulic rack though? - just run that. If doing a fresh build might as well cherry pick from across the range.
I've already bought and assembled the whole car with the Cup bits including rack and steering column with EPAS (as a matter of fact a rack uses different tie rods and have some spacers fitted to decrease number of turns lock to lock in a Cup car - You can buy each of this things alone, no need buying new rack as far as I know) so don't want to change to hydraulic for many reasons. As for EPAS it looks similar to road going one, it's even made by TRW as well but is specifically made for X85 CUP and has a sticker saying "special part for motorsport" :wink: and I've heard it's mapped differently and doesn't use speed signals to operate like in a road car (not 100% sure though) so assumed it needs different frames through CAN as well.

Nice progress mate well done.

As Rich and jacool said not really worth it, buy a ready one and you are done, nice and easy:smile:

Certainly looks the part and what great progress, now I just need to buy myself some yellow seat belts as in your earlier pics
Keep up the excellent work Bluetex.

Everything is fitted now and i had the Chance to drive it the last time this year :smile:

20151121_151529ffx1d.jpg

20151121_151548d3bx2.jpg

No space left between the Seat and the Door :smiley:

20151021_1815095vz8h.jpg

and added some colour to the Front and Side Badges

20151021_175715jbuvx.jpg

Almost done for this Season :biggrin:

A little Summary what happened since buying this Car 7 Months ago:

Wiechers Rollcage

Sabelt GT-140 Seats

Schroth Profi 3 6 Point Harnesses

Removed all Silencers(straight Pipes :tongueout: )

Installed Brake Cooling

Removed some Weight

Batterie went to the back

Brembo HC Discs

Endless A06 Brake Pads

New Diffusor (other one Burned Down :smiley: )

Yokohama AD08 Tyres and Hankook RS 3 Tyres

What i planned for this Year:

Get a full Rollcage

KW Clubsport Suspension

and maybe some mapping

Other Tips what i could do? :tongueout:

I will test what time i can reach with this Setup this Year and the Final Plan for the Clio is to reach BTG under 8 mins :tongueout: Thats my Personal Goal

cheers, it's just one of those mods I think I'll make this year so interested to see what people have done already :smile: