Rear axle toe in

tchalikias

Paid Member
I had my 200 in for a 4-wheel alignment a few days ago. It felt as if the car was pulling slightly to the left.

Turns out that the front right wheel had a little too much toe-out. This was quickly sorted and the car now drives perfectly straight.

The problem is, the alignment shop gave me a printout of the front and rear axle angles.

On the rear angle, while the total toe in is within limits (+ 0 degrees, 16 minutes), the left and right wheel have almost 20 minutes of a degree difference!

Now I know that technically this is within the manufacturer's tolerances, but isn't this a little odd? Shouldn't the car pull with this much toe difference in the rear?

Funny thing is that my previous car, a Megane, was also right on the limit as far as rear toe in was concerned... But even the lowered Megane didn't have that big a difference between left and right wheel.

that should go back to renault and be sorted by renault warranty, it is not possible to adjust the rear axle toe in iirc,

Cars are designed to pull to the left mate. As skny said rear isnt adjustable

Indeed the rear isn't adjustable by itsself. There are however ways to adjust, either using shims or by pressing the rear axle.

Renault apparently only concern themselves with total toe-in (I've seen the documents), meaning that if total toe-in on the rear axle is within specs, even if one wheel points straight and the other has toe-in, you 're out of luck as far as warranty is concerned. Its 'normal'.

Thankfully the car does not pull, it goes completely straight on a straight road. I'm just worried about tyre wear and, well, I'm kind of a nutter about wanting everything on the car's geo to be perfect (which thankfully is, except rear toe-in).

I saw a post in here with a Renaultsport parts list that included rear toe & camber shims. However the part number doesn't come up when searching Renault's part database. Anyone know how to get them?

with rear axle toe it wont or shouldnt pull to one side....if too much it will scrub off the edge of the tyre....unless the tyre edges are feathering i would leave it alone:thumbsup:

I'll leave it alone for now, however I will order a couple of 10' shims and will monitor tyre wear, if there's a problem I'll have them installed by my local suspension shop...

My left rear wheel currently is at 0 degrees 4 to 6 minutes toe in and my right wheel at 0 degrees 18 to 19 minutes toe in (I visited the alignment shop twice and got slightly different readings which can be attributed to equipment tolerances etc.)

Were only talking 1 or 2 1/10th of a degree, that should cause any issues at all, my old integrale ran at least 4 degree toe in on the rear with no wear issue, I wudnt be too concerned

I have heard from my local alignment garage that on some cars you can try unbolting the rear axle and bolting it back, I dont know if it would be any help in your case though

i use shims to adjust the toe on the clio cup race cars - a bit of rear toe won't harm anything - we use toe in to gain extra turn in, and to 'loosen' the back end.

So I got a couple of Renaultsport shims.

I'm going to be installing them next week, however I can't find the proper torque for the 4 bolts securing the wheel & brake assembly to the rear axle stub.

Does anyone know of the proper torque for the bolts pointed at in the diagram below:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The blue part in the diagram is the toe shim.

I have to say, this diagram makes the installation look easy..

I've searched through the various Dialogys .pdfs to no avail.. The diagram describing the proper torque numbers for the rear axle is a little convoluted.

Any ideas anyone?

Also, Merry Christmas! :smile:

I fitted the shims today, I have to say I'm quite pleased with the result:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The rear axle is now nearly spot on. :smile:

Installation was simple, but the shock absorber gets in the way of using a torque wrench. You have to either remove the absorber or use an extension and possibly a u-joint for the torque wrench. Thus loctite plus a little over tightening is best...