Quick shift mod

Don't think I've ever heard anyone mention a short shifter for the Clio. I thought the throw was pretty short as stock to be fair, would be quite nice to give one of these a "test drive" to see how much difference it makes.

great find, I was looking for sth like this a while back along with redesigning original shifter but now considering CAE shifter instead (damn they're pricey) - since I have complete interior from Clio Cup race car I need to move shifter closer to the wheel, otherwise it interferes with control panel.

great find, I was looking for sth like this a while back along with redesigning original shifter but now considering CAE shifter instead (damn they're pricey) - since I have complete interior from Clio Cup race car I need to move shifter closer to the wheel, otherwise it interferes with control panel.

I had been thinking about a CAE shifter as well and that is shortening the throw even more, maybe the same as this?...this could be a cheaper option, especially in your predicament, keeping the original shifter box (but relocated and lengthening the stick) may be the solution.

Yeh was part of that discussion. But this could be a cheaper option. found the fitting instructions.
Just doing some maths (keep me entertained at lunch), to fit this, extend the stick (for those that want the stick at a higher height for track) and still be able to retain the original throw......

Anyway it was a find that those maybe interested. Members don't always agree on everything, just there preference

Considering the main weakness of the gearbox is a weak syncro, i wouldn't want to be adding further leverage on the shifter mechanism rushing the engagement further.

Yeh was part of that discussion. But this could be a cheaper option. found the fitting instructions.
Just doing some maths (keep me entertained at lunch), to fit this, extend the stick (for those that want the stick at a higher height for track) and still be able to retain the original throw......

Anyway it was a find that those maybe interested. Members don't always agree on everything, just there preference

Exactly, stock shifter travel is OK, no need for shortening, especially keeping in mind weak synchros - on the other hand rebuilding them is quite cheap so no problem for a dedicated track car. But extend your shifter to have it closer to the steering, that's another pair of shoes.
As for me, i'm leaning toward CAE for many reasons. It eliminates any wobbling from original shifter, it sits 120mm higher, 60 mm further back and slightly to the left (which is closer to the wheel for the left hand drive). And it includes a set of heavy duty linkages (it happened to me several times while flat out shifting from 4 to 5th gear that my stock linkage loosened itself so I was unable to shift to 5th or 6th and overreved the engine - luckily without consequences). Also the throw is somewhat shorter (70x70mm shifter travel) which in my case may be needed considering how close original shifter is to the Clio Cup control panel.
If I used M-tech short shifter I would have to design my shifter from scratch so easier to buy sth that is proven to work I guess (especially considering my recent experience with custom jobs ;/ ).

Last edited:
Looks like a good bit of kit.

I find the 200 a bit long throwing myself.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

You don't happen to have the spoiler off a cup race car too do you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't happen to have the spoiler off a cup race car too do you?

attachment.php

I do have, why?
If You're asking if I have one for sale than no.

Attachments

• 20160424_183947.jpg
    20160424_183947.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 263
That was exactly why I was asking! :worried:

Why don't You order one directly from renault like I did. Just give them a part number and they should get one for You (eventually - it usually takes few weeks) It costs about 300 EUR + VAT. You can also order a copy made of carbon fibre for about the same price (french company - mcracing).

This shifting chat has surfaced again. It seems CAE just wont go away... pricey but a sweet piece of kit, I think from what I remember it comes with a new cable that requires refitting. I think a few on here have this installed, they the ones you need to talk to.

Why don't You order one directly from renault like I did. Just give them a part number and they should get one for You (eventually - it usually takes few weeks) It costs about 300 EUR + VAT. You can also order a copy made of carbon fibre for about the same price (french company - mcracing).

Was this directly from Renault or from R-Sport? Didn't know you could do that! I'll look into it, thanks

Was this directly from Renault or from R-Sport? Didn't know you could do that! I'll look into it, thanks

From local Renault dealership here in Poland. Just give them a part number, but for the price (on top of that You have to add paint job as well) i wouldn't bother again, just took a CF one.

I think from what I remember it comes with a new cable that requires refitting.
Yes it does, and havy duty cables (with uniball ends to replace original plastic) alone can cost few hundred EUR from what i've researched.
You can also buy a sequential shifter for H pattern box but its 1500+ EUR.
TBH I still not sure if it's worth it. If I didn't spent all that money on original box I would probably buy Sadev sequential. But now its a matter of additional 1k vs. ~6-7k EUR for second hand ST75-14. Maybe If I could sell my box for at least 3k EUR... which seems unlikely :worried: (even considering it cost me much more)
On the other hand, is it worth buying just gearbox for 6-7k EUR when You can buy complete Cup race car for about 15kEUR? ehh, shouldn't have began modifying my Clio in the first place...

Reactions: Ruben203