Pressure washer

darren9

Paid Member
I'm thinking about buying a pressure washer but our outside tap is useless.

I understand you can run one from a water butt? Is this right?

If I do will rain water be ok to use on the car?

(Sorry for all the questions I'm a complete detailing noob)

God knows what's falling from the sky these days. Can you filter the water? If so give it a go. If you are keen on detailing the whole point is keeping the car looking new and protecting it from the elements. Washing it with rain water would then become a contridiction surely?

I think it was @montana who recently used a pressure washer from a water butt - he needed an adapter iirc.

Definitely worth using tap water though, as Locke says, if you can. I can't imagine rainwater would be too terrible, but certainly not ideal...

ETA: when I say water butt, I mean a water container, i.e. small barrel...

Last edited:
Also consider where the water butt is getting its runoff water from, if it's from a dirty/gritty roof then your going to blast that onto your car...

Another option for you, which is something I do (I don't have access to an outside tap either) - go to the local filling station and use their pressure sprayer. They tend to only cost about £1 for ~2mins. Just use the rinse option as you don't want to be blasting on whatever 'soap' they use.

That will get the majority of the dirt off, then straight home where you can crack on with the buckets and mitt. I use a big watering can to rinse off afterwards. Perhaps a bit of a faff, but it's an option.

You could use the outside tap to fill up the watering butt (when your not washing your car). Then use the pressure washer from the butt when your ready.

You would also have to make sure if you did buy a pressure washer that enough water is getting to the power washer.

Similar Thread Suggestions