Possible px

Good evening all,
it's fair to say I've been a bit of a Renaultsport convert in the last 12 months since owning the 200, I absolutely love it for all the obvious reasons we own one. However.... Over the last few days the odd R26R has caught my eye. Ive recently done well at work and looking to move to a weekend toy for the garage (the clio sits in there proud each night and is utterly cherished but is used every day for work). So it begs the question have any of you owned or driven one personally? I'm pretty clued up on knowing the specs and have memories of the rave reviews it received by Evo as their long termer but that was a few years ago. They also seem a pretty safe bet on residuals now given the rarity.

Thoughts?

Lee

Should join up on Meganesport.net and rsmegane.com, there's a few guys with them on there. A few have gone from an R26 to an R26.R and they reckon there's quite a difference

Never owned been out in one and if you want a track/weekend car i don't think you can get better

Exige/Caterham? The megane is just a fwd hatchback with plastic windows and some scaffolding.

(Trying to get them down in value :wink:)

I agree with Matt, if you are going to get an out an out tack car then something like Exige/ Caterham would be a better shout. Yes the R26.R is a special car but you can get more track focused options.

Note the sarcasm! :thumpsup: ^^

I think the reviews speak for itself and staying in the RS range the .R is the way to go.

Exige/Caterham? The megane is just a fwd hatchback with plastic windows and some scaffolding.

(Trying to get them down in value :wink:)

I doubt a good .R will go down in value. Paul B got £500 more PX ing his than when he bought it 3 years ago!

It will out handle a 265 Trophy but looses out in straight line speed/pull.

I doubt a good .R will go down in value. Paul B got £500 more PX ing his than when he bought it 3 years ago!

It will out handle a 265 Trophy but looses out in straight line speed/pull.

His was / is a fine example - when viewing the Trophy i did have quite a nose at his .R - stunning car!

Many thanks guys. I used to own a series 1 Elise a few years back, so an Exige is also on my wish list, although this time an S2. They are just a little on the pricey side at this moment in time for me (I can hear missus saying about a wedding next year which we are apparently saving for) Caterham has also been a long love having finally getting round to renting one last year, great fun for the weekend.

Forgive my ignorance but who is Steve and is it for Sale?

Lee

I know I am risking it, but I think the R26R is precisely what Renault built it for, it's not really a daily, but I wouldn't even call it a weekend car, it is a very special car, but it's really a track car, I think from the fact that most have little miles on proves the point. While I would love one myself, it is not on my lottery winning list. For the money they are making, you can buy a proper weekend car. You can get a decent low mileage newish Porsche Boxster, for similar money, and before you start shouting hairdresser, go and test drive one. As for running costs, you will get 30 mpg they cost the same to service as an R26R, ok it's twice as much but the service interval is twice as long. They are dead easy to work on, but here is a surprising bit they are cheap to insure. Ok the R26R prices are reasonably stable and you will probably not lose any money, but they belong on the track. The Megane Trophy is a better car, both on the road and on the track, but it does not hold its money as well, but it is dead easy to use.

The biggest problem I found with weekend toys, is you spend all week looking forward to using it, then the weather is crap. So you use it then you spend all Sunday cleaning it, the following weekend comes and the weather is crap, so you leave it in the garage. Winter comes and the salt comes so you SORN it. So the weekend toy becomes very expensive, if you divide the running costs into how often you use it. You may only use it 20 times a year, divide a yearly service to keep its value, a years insurance, 6 months tax, it soon adds up.

You could have a super car for what it costs to run 2 cars.

That's why the wife has a Porsche and I now run a Clio 200 that I can use everyday, clean it on a Friday, and use it all weekend as my toy. I have bought a new house with the money it was costing me to have my weekend toys :smile:

This is only my experience, so I thought I would share, I'm not saying don't do it as I have done it, I am just saying this is what happens with weekend toys :smile:

Sorry but R26, save best part of 10k and build a much better toy for weekend fun for a lot less money!

Black sheep FTW, has ASTs

Last edited: