Possible Alternator Issue? RS 200 2011

ForgedV

Gold Member
Hi all,

I recently posted up about my RS 200 cutting out, wouldnt start at all and frozen dash no lights or power which turned out to be this main fuse on the positive battery terminal being blown so I thought problem is now solved.

This was the problem, £12 fix from Renault.

Saturday i replaced the fuse, all was well and has been up until recently ...:thumbdown:

Whilst driving the battery warning came up on the dash, my first thought was c**p the fuse has blown again, especially not knowing why in the first place. I checked to find it wasnt blown and everything was secure including all grounds. The car didnt cut out at all but as i drove back home all the warning lights illuminated on the dash as if i had just started the car. Pulled up and put every electrical option on to try and confirm my thoughts but the car wouldnt die at all. Checked the voltage and was a steady 14.2 volts on idle which confused the matter even more. Plugged a friends digital read out into my obd port to monitor the volts and it keeps on fluctuating from lows being about 12.2 volts then spikes up to mid 15's. Even on the motor way at 4000rpm it can go from 14 volts to 12.5v then back up to normal.

Now im hoping that it is the voltage regulator thats giving up the ghost so i can get the problem sorted once and for all, im also hoping that its the reason why the lights have came on from the voltage being dropped for too long and its drawn the power out the battery and then the 15 volts surge being what originally blown the fuse.

Now ECP are showing a Lucas alternator does anyone have any experience with it? I know Lucas is fitted to most french cars anyway so its the French life of electrics :smiley:

Video to follow shortly.

Hi,

I’ve got the same random battery issue coming up randomly whilst driving, tested the battery with my multimeter at it jumps from 12V-15.5V and the lights dim and rise with the voltage drop and rise

Did you get to the bottom of this problem?

My car kept trying to die and stall and do this so I took the alternator off, had it tested and it was shagged so now have a new alternator but had this voltage fluctuation issue.

Any response at all greatly appreciated

Jake

I had similar recently. Had an alternator that would go from 14v to 12v after 15 minutes use, swapped it out for an other one off a car being broken, that altnernator was fine for 5-10 mins and then fluctuated between 12v-17v
Rebuilt the alternator with a new voltage regulator. No issues now!
Sorted the problems for me.

Thanks for the reply Tom! I can only assume it’s the regulator causing this fluctuation and that was your fix! I will mention this to the supplier tomorrow so cheers!

Do you know if their is some kind of intelligent battery sensor or module that also controls the charging system or just the regulator?

Cheers for the reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk