pioneer TSQ131C upgrade

Ken - if you fit your tweets before me, can you get some pics of the underside of the grilles. This would help others (me being one!) in knowing how to tackle the removal!

If I do it first I will do the same. Although tomorrow I think im going to tackle the amp mounting in the boot first!

Good luck with them!

cheers..will have a look tomorrow... I have a trim removal tool, so intend to use this with some tape on the dash and grille to protect them. The door grilles werent too bad, as I used my fingers. I find using your hands, you get more of a feel if something is about to snap!

I will put some pics up tomorrow. I'm sure it will be ok

I had the glove box out yesterday to fix a rattle from the handle and to check the aerial connection was ok.

The tweeter grills seem to be the only bit of trim that cause issues

Cheers and good luck! Yep..the glovebox removal is painless, and was required when getting all the wires from the headunit to tuck away nicely!

I managed to stop the rattling glove box with some liberal usage of draght excluder strip from the diy shop! So far it seems to have worked

i fitted the speakers this afternoon.

managed to not snap the tweeter grills which was a bonus

here are some photos of what the grill looks like so you can get an idea of how it fits.

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

note that the tweeter mut be fitted to the grill first and both installed together but i added the bottom photo just to show how it fits.

the grill needs a good push in to get it to lock into place. got to be quite brutal with it.

anyway...

the speakers are an improvement but i must admit i expected more of a difference. i think the tweeters are to high up and the speakers too low in the door to create a proper balance.

im thinking of changing the rear speakers to try and even out the sound as the rears are pretty bad compared to the front now

well done mate! I presume thats why people say come in from the sides. I presume you push in rather than lever up, so the bottom legs pinch in?

Are you running the standard headunit? If so change that next, not the rear speakers and hear the improvement! Standard units usually have a bass roll-off programmed in, to protect the standard paper speakers at higher volume. Your new speakers wont be getting a good signal going into them at present.

Thanks for the pictures, they will come in handy. Didnt get anything done today as ive had a migraine all day (again) (not alcohol induced either!)

i changed the head unit a while back. still not overly impressed with the sound quality. it all seems a bit 'unbalanced'

i think i will try some new rear speakers and see if it improves things. theyre only about £25 for the pioneer co ax upgrade speakers

You could try tweaking the equaliser on your headunit to try and balance it out, I doubt changing the rear speakers will have much affect

What headunit are you running? Have you tried fading the backs out completely?

When I fit my system (if i ever get round to it!) ive got a 3 channel amp, that will power the front components and a small sub. I will leave out the rears completely.

done all that mate. just cant seem to get rid of the overbearing tweeter sound. im sure its just because the door speaker is too low so you hear the tweeter more than the speaker.

i set the fader slightly to the rear to reduce the tweeter output but the rear speakers are turd so just spoil the sound again.

It shouldnt be due to locations. Its usually to do with the materials the tweeter is made from and how the unit is set up. Ive just seen that you have a sony headunit... these do tend to sound quite tinny. If you try a pioneer/alpine/kenwood, ive found these all tend to produce a much warmer sound.

Some components also have an attenuator built in to the crossover unit, so you can limit the volume of them. I try and look for silk tweeters as they are much smoother and not too bright. Im sure if you keep tweaking you'll get nearer to where you want to be!

Did you see if the tweeters and/or mids had any adjustment on them before fitting? You normally get this on more expensive components with proper crossovers

these speakers dont have crossovers.

i usually get alpine head units and focal or infinity speakers. the focals were adjustable if i remember correct

i suppose these speakers are 1/3 the price of the focals so wont be as good.

Just resurrecting this thread as I had my passenger side door speaker swapped out under warranty when my RS200 was in for service on Friday, annoyingly though my left and right front speakers are totally unbalanced, so god knows what they put in there!

So it got me thinking about upgrading them generally and the TS-Q131C speakers seem to be a common and easy upgrade, but after looking around posts on here I've been to check my dashboard top speakers and they are fakes!

I'm after some slightly better speakers which will go straight in without cocking about with the wiring or the head unit.

Just fitted these, fitting the tweeters is a complete joke and I'm still not sure if they're in completely properly. Managed to break both covers though only one badly which is cracked on the face now as they seem insanely difficult to remove and refit.

Difference in sound quality is massive though ( still hearing my brother laughing as I showed him the fake tweeters ).

I notice that you have a 200 also which had the fake tweeters, as you've done the upgrade to the TS-Q131C speakers, did you have the wiring in place for the tweeters then already as I can't seem to see any connectors?

For mine all the wires were there but 'plugged' into the fake tweeters, mines a '10 plate but it wouldnt be a surprise for them to have stopped the practice with later cars.

Cheers, mine's a 60 plate with the revised (Euro V?) engine, so it may well have a slightly different wiring arrangement.

Can you remember what colour the wires were as I can't see anything hanging around which isn't connected and the fakes didn't have anything going to them... :worried:

Sorry tried to find pics but pretty sure I never took any and it was quite a while ago now.

Unless they're been left/dropped back down inside the dash I guess they aren't there.