pioneer TSQ131C upgrade

just bought a set of pioneer replacement TSQ131C front speakers. £75 which i thought wasnt to bad. i used to swear by focal but theyre easily double the money and i couldnt be arsed to faff on with crossovers and fitting different tweeters in the door etc..

im not after huge volume, just better sound quality. the standard speakers are shockingly poor. the new head unit improved things but the mid range and trebble is so tinny. had to get rid if them!

i was going to go for the ts-g1312i which are half the price of the TSQ131C but i think the standard tweeter is half the problem so think the full set is a better bet.

if i think i need them i will get the ts-g1312 for the rear but will try it with just the front upgrade for now

anyone tried the TSQ131C? whats your impressions?

My friend has the first ones your talking about for 75 quid, good decent upgrade over standard and like you say the tweeter is a lot better in the pioneers, as long as your using a better headunit than standard your going to notice a big improvement!!

If your only running them off the headunit, then theres not much point spending mega bucks imo. They (or pretty much any aftermarket speaker) should be an improvement over factory!

Ive always gone with DLS, but now I have the clio with 5.25" Ive had to change from them. I was looking at Focal but they are quite sharp sounding, so have just bought (today in fact) some CDT CL5's. These are supposed to be nice and warm like the DLS with slightly more midrange. These are going to be amped up though.

I'm just running them from the new head unit. Don't want the extra weight or hassle of amps this time.

I found the focal to be the best speaker I ever had. Personal preference.

Like I said I'm not after winning any sound off with this car I just want to be able to listen to the stereo withou getting a headache from the crappy midrange on the OE speakers.

I have the TSQ131C's, wasn't impressed initially, but reasonably happy now. Just be very careful removing the tweeter grills, go in from the side, new ones are £45 each!

ok cheers

i ordered these weeks ago now and still havent arrived. i ordered them from autosound in newcastle and theyre bloody useless.

for past 2 days been trying to speak to the shop and today found out they dont know when i will get them and 'all i can do is wait'. this pissed me off so told him all he can do is give me my money back!

i ordered them from car audio direct over the phone to make sure they had them in stock. i paid autosound in newcastle £75 so ive saved a bit of money and im pleased theyre not getting my business now! free delivery through CS.net membership too so well pleased

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-ts-q131c-renault.html

Just fitted these, fitting the tweeters is a complete joke and I'm still not sure if they're in completely properly. Managed to break both covers though only one badly which is cracked on the face now as they seem insanely difficult to remove and refit.

Difference in sound quality is massive though ( still hearing my brother laughing as I showed him the fake tweeters ).

Caraudiodirect are a good company, shouldn't have any problems with them

I keep thinking about getting these, but then the standard speakers aren't so bad running off a proper headunit (Pioneer P88RS II)

Caraudiodirect are a good company, shouldn't have any problems with them

I keep thinking about getting these, but then the standard speakers aren't so bad running off a proper headunit (Pioneer P88RS II)

agreed... its the standard headunit which is the weak link. You will get a bigger improvement changing the headunit first and leaving the speakers.

I bought all my DLS kit from CAD and they are very helpful and shipped very quickly.

agreed... its the standard headunit which is the weak link. You will get a bigger improvement changing the headunit first and leaving the speakers.

I bought all my DLS kit from CAD and they are very helpful and shipped very quickly.

I can't disagree more, as standard the car is missing masses of dynamic range especially in the high frequencies.

The problem is you have a stereo (even the standard head unit) that can output frequencies way outside the range the physical speakers can reproduce so there's a lot missed out.

A new head unit will improve things even more but to change it first is like owning a 1000hp car with only 1st gear.

I find the standard speakers absolute rubbish. They hurt my ears after a while. They seem to hiss at high and mid range.

The meanness unit didn't make alot of difference to be honest. I was going to get the cheaper pioneers but I'm sure that the tweeters are a big part of the problem so decided to go for the more expensive set. I may get the rears done if I think it needs them. My car has rear speakers from the factory bit they don't seem to do much to be honest.

I can't disagree more, as standard the car is missing masses of dynamic range especially in the high frequencies.

The problem is you have a stereo (even the standard head unit) that can output frequencies way outside the range the physical speakers can reproduce so there's a lot missed out.

A new head unit will improve things even more but to change it first is like owning a 1000hp car with only 1st gear.

we'll agree to disagree then...although you will find plenty of people that just change the headunit and the improvement is immense. Often when the standard unit is kept and speakers are changed you can actually lose low end response.

you also need to take into account that you have a 200, that has no tweeters up on the dash, and coax's in the doors and not components like the 197. This would make a huge difference especially in the high end frequencies.

iv replaced the head unit, installed the pioneers in the front and added some kenwood co ax to the rear.....in all honesty, its still pap! better than before, but still very tinny! not sure what to do, i think iv given up! il leave listening to music for at home and enjoy the engine noise :smile:

Have you got your CDTs in yet? Would be interested to hear what you think of them

Not yet matey.....im a fair weather installer! lol (im not going to throw them straight in, as im going to completely re-wire and also sound deaden the doors)

They look the part though, just hope ive got enough depth!!:

1b1953d2.gif

Got great write ups from users. They are meant to be a bit more punchy than the dls speakers I was using, and a bit more forward sounding. These will be powered by a 3 channel DLS CA31 amplifier and I will be using a DLS KW10 sub in a small enclosure in the boot. Will be installed to keep as much boot space as possible. This will be a purely SQ install, not a boom boom thing!!

Last edited:
iv replaced the head unit, installed the pioneers in the front and added some kenwood co ax to the rear.....in all honesty, its still pap! better than before, but still very tinny! not sure what to do, i think iv given up! il leave listening to music for at home and enjoy the engine noise :smile:

The pioneers are not supposed to be very good low down. Its sometimes better to ditch the rears and put all your funds into the fronts. After all you sit in the front!

Looking at the way Renault mount the speakers through the door cards is not ideal either. I think when ive got the door cards off, im going to look at maybe using mdf mounts. Sound deadening can also be used to seal large holes in the inner skin of the door. This helps the bass response no end.

I realise this is a lot of work for most people....but its what im into and have done many installs. I love a great sounding system in the motor!

we'll agree to disagree then...although you will find plenty of people that just change the headunit and the improvement is immense.

+1

But, I care too much for the sound comming out from the panels, I like the sound from the exhaust better. :smiley:

I have noticed the difference just with switching to the new Pioneer AVH-P5200BT.

Was thinking about getting new speakers like DLS but I will need an amp for them and sound damping for the doors and that's all extra weight that this car already has too much. :smiley:

Last edited:
Postman just delivered my speakers! thought i wouldnt get them till after the bank holiday now. only ordered them yesterday.

they look pretty good quality but its not surprising they get mixed reviews - theyre bloody tiny!

will fit them tomorrow if my head isnt to bad! dont fancy tackling them tweeter grills if im rough after what people say about them being easy to snap!

IMG_0155.jpg