pic request - projectors /Nightbreakers

Heppy997

Paid Member
Just retro fitted some projector head lights and brand new bulbs all round, after a bit of research the go-to bulbs seemed to be Osram Nightbreakers which looked nice and white. So installed those (H7 and H1) and must say I'm a bit disappointed with them as they ain't white at all!! They look no different to standard OEM ones with a yellow tinge. Can anyone with the same set up post a pic of theirs to compare? All the pics I've seen of them look nice and white...
projectors3.jpg
projectors1.jpg
projectors4.jpg

Cameras can often make headlights appear whiter than they actually are in person. Whilst the nightbreakers are a good bulb for increased visibility, they're not that great for looks. What you want is the cool blue intense bulbs. I had those on my 206 (sidelights and main beams) in a reflector headlight unit and they looked so much better. Not a hint of yellow from the headlights.

Just retro fitted some projector head lights and brand new bulbs all round, after a bit of research the go-to bulbs seemed to be Osram Nightbreakers which looked nice and white. So installed those (H7 and H1) and must say I'm a bit disappointed with them as they ain't white at all!! They look no different to standard OEM ones with a yellow tinge. Can anyone with the same set up post a pic of theirs to compare? All the pics I've seen of them look nice and white...
View attachment 111641
View attachment 111642
View attachment 111643

I had a lot of different bulbs and couldn't find ones i liked as i was always used to HID's and i dont have projectors in the Clio :worried:

I finally went for the Philips Diamond Vision bulbs and must say i love them! They're definitely the whitest 'Standard' bulbs i've seen and i HATE the traditional orange tinge off standard bulbs.

The pics definitely don't do them justice and i feel they're got even whiter over time. Definitely worth a look mate

I'll be trying out the phillips bulbs next after being in the same position with nightbreakers. At the minute I have some really cheap tacky £5 'blue' bulbs that are actually super close to oem xenons like audi/bmw etc.... I'll be trying them in projectors at some point and if they're any good they'll be staying. I'll see if I can grab a pic or link.

EDIT -

These look the closest to the ones I have but they're really overpriced.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRONT-XEN...960532?hash=item2ca4885a94:g:LM4AAOSwcBhWUFUs

I had a lot of different bulbs and couldn't find ones i liked as i was always used to HID's and i dont have projectors in the Clio :worried:

I finally went for the Philips Diamond Vision bulbs and must say i love them! They're definitely the whitest 'Standard' bulbs i've seen and i HATE the traditional orange tinge off standard bulbs.

The pics definitely don't do them justice and i feel they're got even whiter over time. Definitely worth a look mate

Yeh just seen your thread chap. Don't know whether to go for the Phillips then or just get a HID kit off ebay? Never had a HID kit before but they're a similar price to the Philips

Yeh just seen your thread chap. Don't know whether to go for the Phillips then or just get a HID kit off ebay? Never had a HID kit before but they're a similar price to the Philips
See the link I've just posted and have a look. Personally from experience, I won't buy another set of HID's. In fact I've got 3 sets in the shed and a £3 (yes, £3!!) complete kit out performed a £40 kit. Not worth all the aggro mate. Either OEM Xenons or decent bulbs. I haven't tested LED kits, but from what I've read, to get a good beam pattern, which is actually quite hard to achieve you need to spend at least £150-£200. Not perfect, but it's another option in the quest for bright, white light! Try out the phillips if you can get a good price, or some slightly higher wattage bulbs. Don't get a really high wattage as you don't know if the wiring loom or headlight insides will take the extra heat.

See the link I've just posted and have a look. Personally from experience, I won't buy another set of HID's. In fact I've got 3 sets in the shed and a £3 (yes, £3!!) complete kit out performed a £40 kit. Not worth all the aggro mate. Either OEM Xenons or decent bulbs. I haven't tested LED kits, but from what I've read, to get a good beam pattern, which is actually quite hard to achieve you need to spend at least £150-£200. Not perfect, but it's another option in the quest for bright, white light! Try out the phillips if you can get a good price, or some slightly higher wattage bulbs. Don't get a really high wattage as you don't know if the wiring loom or headlight insides will take the extra heat.
Yeah I think you're right mate I'm just gonna order the Philips and see how I go. Can get a refund for the Nightbreakers so its not too bad. I'm not fussed about chavvy blue light but like you say just a decent white light. Also the HIDs look like a faff and I've just spent about a month with the car in bits sorting out a multitude of problems so a simple bulb change seems appealing right now!!

Yeah I think you're right mate I'm just gonna order the Philips and see how I go. Can get a refund for the Nightbreakers so its not too bad. I'm not fussed about chavvy blue light but like you say just a decent white light. Also the HIDs look like a faff and I've just spent about a month with the car in bits sorting out a multitude of problems so a simple bulb change seems appealing right now!!

Oh yeah, HID's can be a pain in the ass, only finding a place to mount the ballast, unless you have to drill or cut stuff.
Those blue bulbs I linked to don't give off any blue light, it's really white. At least they're the bulbs that have impressed me most, especially being cheap ones in halogen lamps! Really looking forward to trying them out in a projector lamp.
Don't worry, I'm preparing myself for a box change, but after doing a shell swap nothing can phase me!

Oh yeah, HID's can be a pain in the ass, only finding a place to mount the ballast, unless you have to drill or cut stuff.
Those blue bulbs I linked to don't give off any blue light, it's really white. At least they're the bulbs that have impressed me most, especially being cheap ones in halogen lamps! Really looking forward to trying them out in a projector lamp.
Don't worry, I'm preparing myself for a box change, but after doing a shell swap nothing can phase me!
Bloody hell mate....classic renault ownership then!:laughing::laughing: After working on mine I think if you can fix a renault you can fix owt..

Bloody hell mate....classic renault ownership then!:laughing::laughing: After working on mine I think if you can fix a renault you can fix owt..
Don't speak too soon mate, BMW's are a lot worse! One of the reasons I came back to clios, so easy to work on!

Don't speak too soon mate, BMW's are a lot worse! One of the reasons I came back to clios, so easy to work on!
You reckon? My bro is big into BMWs, we did a race to see who could get the top nut off a front shock. His took 30 seconds, the clio's took about 30 minutes! Having said that the plastic trims are a hell of a lot easier in the renault, just look at them and they fall off:tearsofjoy:

You reckon? My bro is big into BMWs, we did a race to see who could get the top nut off a front shock. His took 30 seconds, the clio's took about 30 minutes! Having said that the plastic trims are a hell of a lot easier in the renault, just look at them and they fall off:tearsofjoy:
Exactly! the 172/182's are probably the easiest car I've ever worked on, if you have problems with the top nuts you need a better whizzy gun :tearsofjoy:

Here you have projectors with nightbreaker ultimate bulbs..

20170228_181838.jpg\medium

20170228_181850.jpg\medium

Reactions: l33th3tr33
I've got a kit from HIDS4U for dipped and it's awesome and nightbreakers for mains. I can honestly say that as far as colour is concerned, a standard bulb does not have any differences at all with a nightbreaker so yes, waste of money.

I have ordered a cheap LED kit to see what level of brightness and beam pattern is to be expected, so I will report back hopefully by this weekend with some results. They are cheaper than nightbreakers so lets see if they can match their brightness and hopefully the beam pattern is as good as a mid range halogen bulb.

just get 6k HID's can't see why you would get anything else if you have projectors, they are cheap enough and last ages, just replaced mine after 6 years and 3 different cars

Test fitted one of my led bulbs earlier, to see a light output difference and colour. Not 100% sure they're brighter than the nightbreaker but time will tell when I fit them both and test them out properly at night.
Colour is perfect. White as you like, and really bright, so bright in fact that I blinded myself when testing them outside of the headlight! [emoji23]
Not the best pics but here you go.

1bce111abd6c790a2d32bddb085c6d51.jpg
73ab5a2cfeee1e61848dd37ce71d0f4b.jpg
005878729af59f9b514d116305b589fd.jpg
3141a39c904dc208cda6e71ba128bf75.jpg
8c1266d7866c818d7e289277c6cdb11e.jpg
efa23a6d7a54be5f6e3fb58ffe9ae429.jpg

Excuse the state of my driveway, been having a clear out of bmw parts... anyone want a front set of KW varient 3's for an e46? [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Right, I've got both of my led bulbs fitted and went out on an unlit B road, my favourite one in fact, and I had to turn around halfway and come back.

Light colour is perfect, 10/10.

Beam pattern is pretty good 7/10

Distance of light travel is dire. Lights up about 15/20m in complete darkness, even less with ambient light. Fine for show or round town but not safe for night driving IMO. 4/10

b7c1c206f48ec0501b73aa0eac7fc50b.jpg

The light output looks a let better than it really is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There was a big review on the L200 oc where a lad tested just about every bulb going
& said the led's were crap for distance
all L200 lights are rubbish as std like a candle in a jam jar hid's are a no go as the reflector just scatters the light & blinds
on coming traffic so most go for the nightbreakers
try the nightbreaker lazer i had them fitted in my van & found them pretty good but poor on life span
or as above get a good set of hid's
i'm on the lookout for a set of projectors & will defo fit a set of hid's