Paskov92's Nimbus Road/Track Project

Hi All

Been lurking and researching the forums for a good year now and thought I'd finally take the plunge and get my car ready for its first of (hopefully) many trackdays!!!

First trackday is at Rockingham on 6th March with #trackaddict which I'm really excited and crapping myself at the same time! My 2 mates are coming too, one of them has a MK2 ST with a stage 3 REVO map and a lot of other mods and goes like **** off a shovel and the other is a stripped out ep3 and has seen a lot of trackdays so bit of a novice compared to them!

But anyway, the car:

Non-cup suspension
Red calipers
Cup spoiler
Rattly Milltek exhaust!
Powerflex torque and lower engine mounts
Also just had a gearbox refurb

n5cectmB6V6-A2n_u_vQ4nGvf4euQQ0ccSZAfaisSVCeom9kGpwkrX90NwmZjJjP5ifjZqJ43dNcyM3CqQ=w1458-h970-no.jpg

9lKWf-hJ518gpf2iIB6VsQBULT_k5A97HXbrte3sbw4HHUoAxZgdYI3PdSdKbEdSb7G_kAUAFBWETBvTYw=w1458-h970-no.jpg

xk6gdHLq6tPxfLSZPHLVojmPME4GQmX49XlVdDxU_VxfnDMES1jX75nd3OsfCAY4VsYIVXwGpRjRwcnqjg=w1458-h970-no.jpg

Plans over the next month:

H&R Springs
Cup Shocks
19mm Spacers
Brake fluid - Motul RBF600
New discs & pads
Newer style RS badge on the back

Just had my cup shocks and new top mounts arrive today and had the springs and spacers for a while now so should be fitting over the weekend! Have read through all the how to's and pretty sure I know how to do it but if anyone has any tips please share :wink: can't wait to see what it looks like, hopefully sits a hell of a lot better!

q7edlZ5cMwrF5M-tMAaItkLVBMQEnaHbGl4RS5x0yve_sXRHq9bAZez3oXJdqsCIiBGYsh-yiUEuyylVIzA=w727-h969-no.jpg

Also just got a Xiaomi Yi, seems to have really good reviews and half the price of GoPro and does 1080p60 and 2k too!

JDn1EcdlpRzE_wDvzW_BV6sXKd5t4L7uvdjoQv_ICqOH2cLNbSkml41W_Wk4zaEbqAby2ZZS4yv3zy9d1pA=w727-h969-no.jpg

I'll keep this updated as I go along get some before and after pics of the spacers and suspension this weekend!

Weekend Update

Thanks for the comments!

So this weekend me and my my mate finally got around to fitting the new suspension, spacers and new brakes.

So Saturday morning we started the suspension about 11ish and finally finished at about 7.30!!! Took us so bloody long and had a few delays (like attempting to fit the drivers side top mount on the passenger side for about 20mins, doh!) but was well worth it.

We used the method of jack the wishbone up as much as we could then sticking compressors on the springs whilst still on the car and then managed to knock the hub down low enough, the first side was quite a learning curve but the second side was a lot easier knowing what we needed to do now! The backs were so easy and only took about 30mins, considerably less than the fronts lol

Then Sunday moved onto the brakes. First off struggled to get the pins out and so called someone I know through work and he came over and knocked them straight out! I now know the pins require manning up and just smacking to avoid embarrassment next time! Then had to go to Homebase to find a big enough hex key for the calipers, came back, too small, doh! Went to B & Q and got a socket the correct size this time! Then came the pads, bloody hell these were the hardest part, must have not been changed in a long long time, we had to smack and pry them out of the caliper so I can't see how they were working properly, I thought it was my rear pads squealing but turns out it was the fronts! They were right down to the metal so no wonder they were awful along with being jammed in the caliper!

Wire brushed and filed all the crap out and greased and fitted new pads along with Mr Pink's new pins which are a way better desing and if you don't have any I would highly recommend! Then put back together and fitted the 19mm spacers, I was sceptical about them as I got them for Christmas but I'm so glad I did, car looks 100 times better!

So all in all it was productive weekend, all be it a long one but well worth it! Only issue I have now is the ABS and ESP light keep coming on so we must have knocked a sensor :worried: but hopefully will be able to fix that this weekend when we flush new brake fluid through and give it a clean, it's filthy!

Here's the pics, let me know what you think!

Front Before:

st571gU0sf8UKoH7pD19kmx7UQaiOD2M2G_5b4DSf2yn7R_3nvV_Qiaav022WdjQiTkD-ofW5iGICP7H7Ow=w465-h619-no.jpg

Front After:

rjbPnP83EnjSGrrwNrgL4LlwZF1Qfz_QE3ZyGgksCg3wKhgh22QjWxMfLCXmI7rmAuMw73ybhpoZqkIvT1A=w465-h619-no.jpg

Rear Before:

l1EVtrntWH24qkdMZ9jvWFvVp2a02eam1y4lrP5nDMcmTVPy283yiUHOjT4-fp5FcX88JmiEDtcLX5OHloQ=w465-h619-no.jpg

Rear After:

TUd9X60WyQvO_LtNg2nUpg7XyJjXGvr4RV_mPwwGxk2efb-XQUc3vVKm-8j9OP2_Y15ZASaM_OQqDlnLzEQ=w465-h619-no.jpg

Spacers Before:

UjWgr-7b-Nr8pA-_zNNvExJurQUZQkVCPxGdNK3c4-l4DdUzSVXyWXhGsdLgcKYHuQu6grjMinO1D8Z78pQ=w465-h619-no.jpg

Spacers After:

gLKasOImup7EoAapWYjpsro4OvZ6lR-OfFWbtdQszZv0361NJ2RuD73dcFmX_ZLWI9l88fiV6eOvuUqE3lg=w465-h619-no.jpg

Before:

tUcypfnly1-ySgtEzot2KEtpIHe4PBfF3nswUUmzTV6wRX9o_SJkZ-bCFeUSVCpFB7L0i6YBVLbIaUsB1-A=w826-h619-no.jpg

After:

bkhwdJS9xNGQrMuK5JcF-mEq1gqbinFKrAEEXr_U9btogHnVi3C27Wrd_T2xBoe_l4ZnMb6f6is3Hmr3i6A=w826-h619-no.jpg

Thanks for the comments!

So this weekend me and my my mate finally got around to fitting the new suspension, spacers and new brakes.

So Saturday morning we started the suspension about 11ish and finally finished at about 7.30!!! Took us so bloody long and had a few delays (like attempting to fit the drivers side top mount on the passenger side for about 20mins, doh!) but was well worth it.

We used the method of jack the wishbone up as much as we could then sticking compressors on the springs whilst still on the car and then managed to knock the hub down low enough, the first side was quite a learning curve but the second side was a lot easier knowing what we needed to do now! The backs were so easy and only took about 30mins, considerably less than the fronts lol

Then Sunday moved onto the brakes. First off struggled to get the pins out and so called someone I know through work and he came over and knocked them straight out! I now know the pins require manning up and just smacking to avoid embarrassment next time! Then had to go to Homebase to find a big enough hex key for the calipers, came back, too small, doh! Went to B & Q and got a socket the correct size this time! Then came the pads, bloody hell these were the hardest part, must have not been changed in a long long time, we had to smack and pry them out of the caliper so I can't see how they were working properly, I thought it was my rear pads squealing but turns out it was the fronts! They were right down to the metal so no wonder they were awful along with being jammed in the caliper!

Wire brushed and filed all the crap out and greased and fitted new pads along with Mr Pink's new pins which are a way better desing and if you don't have any I would highly recommend! Then put back together and fitted the 19mm spacers, I was sceptical about them as I got them for Christmas but I'm so glad I did, car looks 100 times better!

So all in all it was productive weekend, all be it a long one but well worth it! Only issue I have now is the ABS and ESP light keep coming on so we must have knocked a sensor :worried: but hopefully will be able to fix that this weekend when we flush new brake fluid through and give it a clean, it's filthy!

Here's the pics, let me know what you think!

Front Before:

st571gU0sf8UKoH7pD19kmx7UQaiOD2M2G_5b4DSf2yn7R_3nvV_Qiaav022WdjQiTkD-ofW5iGICP7H7Ow=w465-h619-no.jpg

Front After:

rjbPnP83EnjSGrrwNrgL4LlwZF1Qfz_QE3ZyGgksCg3wKhgh22QjWxMfLCXmI7rmAuMw73ybhpoZqkIvT1A=w465-h619-no.jpg

Rear Before:

l1EVtrntWH24qkdMZ9jvWFvVp2a02eam1y4lrP5nDMcmTVPy283yiUHOjT4-fp5FcX88JmiEDtcLX5OHloQ=w465-h619-no.jpg

Rear After:

TUd9X60WyQvO_LtNg2nUpg7XyJjXGvr4RV_mPwwGxk2efb-XQUc3vVKm-8j9OP2_Y15ZASaM_OQqDlnLzEQ=w465-h619-no.jpg

Spacers Before:

UjWgr-7b-Nr8pA-_zNNvExJurQUZQkVCPxGdNK3c4-l4DdUzSVXyWXhGsdLgcKYHuQu6grjMinO1D8Z78pQ=w465-h619-no.jpg

Spacers After:

gLKasOImup7EoAapWYjpsro4OvZ6lR-OfFWbtdQszZv0361NJ2RuD73dcFmX_ZLWI9l88fiV6eOvuUqE3lg=w465-h619-no.jpg

Before:

tUcypfnly1-ySgtEzot2KEtpIHe4PBfF3nswUUmzTV6wRX9o_SJkZ-bCFeUSVCpFB7L0i6YBVLbIaUsB1-A=w826-h619-no.jpg

After:

bkhwdJS9xNGQrMuK5JcF-mEq1gqbinFKrAEEXr_U9btogHnVi3C27Wrd_T2xBoe_l4ZnMb6f6is3Hmr3i6A=w826-h619-no.jpg
Brilliant weekends work , I "attempted" the front shocks on mine and was defeated by the pinch bolt being really tight, also my spring compressors wouldn't fit, it is really cramped in there. Gave up and got it done by a garage at MOT time. Bet your pleased with yourself though :smile:

I spent 9hours on Saturday fitting an induction kit to a FN2 so I can relate to your pain , the weather was shocking for DIY mechanicing over the weekend !

Brilliant weekends work , I "attempted" the front shocks on mine and was defeated by the pinch bolt being really tight, also my spring compressors wouldn't fit, it is really cramped in there. Gave up and got it done by a garage at MOT time. Bet your pleased with yourself though :smile:

I spent 9hours on Saturday fitting an induction kit to a FN2 so I can relate to your pain , the weather was shocking for DIY mechanicing over the weekend !

Thanks man, see I was lucky as I had my gearbox done a month ago so all the bolts had been removed and greased up already! Yeah we had to put the compressors upside down to fit and just about got up there but yeah massively pleased we managed to do it! And I know know tell me about it, my fingers and toes were so numb!

Car looks fantastic! It sits perfectly now.

Cheers, I didn't realise how much of a difference it would make but it really makes the car look a million times better!

So managed to get an oil change done a few days ago on the homemade ramps and put in some Gulf competition as it was a really good price seeing as though its ester based!

Also bed the brake pads in properly even though it still says up to a 1500 miles to properly do but seem good now and got the tracking done yesterday at Wheels in Motion in Chesham, don;t know much about the tracking but seems like it was pretty out and now drives a lot less twitchy and has the cup settings on it

Seems I have found what is causing my ABS light to trigger, everytime I full lock to the right and brake the light comes on so I'm assuming there is a loose cable on 1 side

Only 2 days until track day so tomorrow its brake bleeding with some rbf600, general checks, take the seats out and think I'm ready! Oh and also have to make my headrest mount and got to help my mate fit a new inlet manifold too but that shouldn't take too long

Also bought some gloves as I don't know if my steering wheel will get slippy as I have a tendency to get sweaty hands...

uqh8GYZmhfF-O9PeXr_p6pp6PMtbvE004-4dRZS7F6SXsjxiH-LRTAtTxRWR8gPX0XW1VEkssaoCsgW4aQ=w1292-h970-no.jpg

The alignment results

FosmCYu8pIAWL9hN-lCf1XVzx16ZPFHvkASPbQ7IlU-V92lSr6ylRyhMSBATBL5uVumJcFqgA6JiepO7Eg=w1292-h970-no.jpg

Rockingham done!-fit

So haven't been on here in a while and its been a while since the trackday!

Rockingham was quality but was bloody freezing!

Was shi**ing it went I first went but got more confient throughout the day and had the track to myself by the last hour or so which was great!

Brakes were really good with the yellow stuff pads but other than that the car felt great even with KU39 rubber although with the spacers and H&R springs I kept scraping the inside arches! My exhaust did my head in though, banging against the boot so much and looks like its not been fitted properly and sits way too far towards the back of the car and so one of the back boxes on the milltek sits really close to the dip in the boot well so will try and re-fit it this weekend I think, if not then I think I'll see if I can get myself a scorpion and as it seems to be better designed

Got some pictures below and got some footage as well which I'll get up in a bit

12SjqaJS7pegC3d-_7Ul9ek3RACHm7zuXljzQlkzRaFK9mUSO_T083AI48QKY0PXMU4h5Kn0MEwMdY5r0w=w1455-h967-no.jpg

Ng2vawhieah20H7G7B-VSf4rsBIAW1slRmIP90n5B6vMaqWEMAL8FDO5lFx1tZpfp9xjhY3zMHRqc9Yv7A=w1455-h967-no.jpg

7YHd2q6BFfqO_gfEMjg2SLaqbfgaRMiOOTPQsqt4Eu8JvZBMWM0r4st7A7PxPr-JwWgVV05WyB3Y0OsgPQ=w1455-h967-no.jpg

Looking to book Brands next I think, can't wait! Just got my Ultra Racing RARB so will be fitting that on the weekend too!

[MENTION=52129]paskov92[/MENTION] check your rear backbox mounts (diffuser off) and your centre exhaust mount, I have recently fitted a milltek and there is very little movement, it's no where near the boot floor. Also try rotating the centre section to get better clearance, it will make more sense one you are led under the car looking at it.

@paskov92 check your rear backbox mounts (diffuser off) and your centre exhaust mount, I have recently fitted a milltek and there is very little movement, it's no where near the boot floor. Also try rotating the centre section to get better clearance, it will make more sense one you are led under the car looking at it.

Yeah I've got the diffuser off and left it off and it definitely doesn't look like it's been fitted properly as it's so far towards the back of the car so the right back box (looking from the rear) is pretty much on the boot floor where it dips in. I've got some more clamps so I'm gonna see if I can re-fit it this weekend. I'll try the rotating the centre section as well and hopefully will help and won't move as much, mine moves so much even at idle! The rear mounts were nackered and have replaced 1 side but couldn't get the other side off and ran out of daylight so I imagine they'll make a big difference too

Maybe easier to cut the rubber mount off if it's putting up too much of a fight. Or give it plenty of penetrating fluid.

So been a long time since I've updated the thread but just been very busy.

But exhaust has stopped banging thank God, got a a garage to hit it forward and re jiggle it

I also purchased a K-Tec induction kit after a lot of indecisveness but I can definitely say it's was so worth the money, the noise sounds mental!!! Sounds like a Scooby at low revs I love it!!

Got a new set of rear discs and pads to go on this week as there is next to nothing left on them now. Just got some Pagid discs from ECP as they had 30% off and some brembo pads which should do fine for the rears

Still have an abs sensor problem on full lock right which I think is a break in the cable so need to play with the cables and see which one I need to replace

Then next Monday I have a day at Bedford GT booked in which should be good, supposed to be 28 degrees too which will make a change to my 2 previous rainy/snowy days I've done this year!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

So I have an issue, both of my rear pistons will not rewind back.

We have put so much force on the rewind that we have bent the winding tool handle!!

Brake fluid cap is off, handbrake is off but is there anything else I'm supposed to be doing?

I've had a search but can't find anything else obvious, if not I guess it's new callipers time, just hope it's all ready before Monday or I'll cry :worried:

New calipers I'm afraid, sound like water has got into the pistons and corroded them beyond the point of saving them. I had the same thing happen to me back in January unfortunately.

New calipers I'm afraid, sound like water has got into the pistons and corroded them beyond the point of saving them. I had the same thing happen to me back in January unfortunately.
:worried: that's not good. I just find it strange how both pistons are stiff yet the handbrake seems to come on and off fine?

I did just read something about the handbrake not being in the 'fully off position' on the caliper so may have a look at that later as my handbrake does come on quite easily at the first click

But if it is new calipers is the process:
-Clamp rubber brake hose
-Undo brake hose from caliper
-Take handbrake cable off
-Refit handbrake cable on new caliper
-Refit brake hose to new caliper
-Fit back in with discs and pads
-Remove hose clamp
-Then bleed?

My rear calipers were both knackered but the handbrake still felt fine.
Yeah that's pretty much the process.