Parts list for Gearbox rebuild

bedoef

Platinum Member
I need to order parts to get my gearbox rebuilt, I've got the crunch after 98k kms. The dealer where I live charges an arm and a leg for parts and labor, so I plan to buy parts online and take the car to a garage for the work. What would I need to buy to be able to drop off the parts and car and get it rebuilt in one shot? What are the good to have replacement parts when doing this job?

I am hoping that some of the guys on the forum have some insight to help, so I can get the job done in a few days instead of going back and forth and ordering parts every other day.

I understand your thinking, but i don't see how you can rebuild / refurb / replace what's needed......until the box is apart, your man has had a chance to visually inspect and measure the tolerance of parts; and then knows what will need renewing ?

I guess you could buy the synchro rings for the gears already crunching; but if he then finds something else obvious at that point you're going to have to order. I just don't see there's a generic 'Master list' of parts that will sort every / all Clio gearboxes unfortunately.....

Which gear is crunching? The usual 3rd/4th? If so I have part numbers. Very rare to see bearings fail tbh in these boxes, and the dog teeth on the gears themselves are very robust

I understand your thinking, but i don't see how you can rebuild / refurb / replace what's needed......until the box is apart, your man has had a chance to visually inspect and measure the tolerance of parts; and then knows what will need renewing ?

I guess you could buy the synchro rings for the gears already crunching; but if he then finds something else obvious at that point you're going to have to order. I just don't see there's a generic 'Master list' of parts that will sort every / all Clio gearboxes unfortunately.....

Hmm, I never got notification of the posts, sorry guys!

I assumed that there would be categories of parts for something like this, like
1) parts that must be replaced every time a gearbox is opened (ie gaskets)
2) parts that would be good to replace / preventative maintenance (ie other synchros or bearings)
3) suggested upgrades?

I know that theres no way to tell what else needs to be done until its open, but I wanted to check and see what I could get my hands on ahead of time to minimize the time the car is in the garage.

Which gear is crunching? The usual 3rd/4th? If so I have part numbers. Very rare to see bearings fail tbh in these boxes, and the dog teeth on the gears themselves are very robust
Bingo

If you have that list that would be awesome if you could share it with me. Thanks!

@Northloopcup would you mind sharing that part list? Ball park on prices would be fairly useful too.

I am thinking of giving it a go myself at some point soon, I think my third gear is starting to show signs of it happening soon, and I quite fancy the challenge.

@Northloopcup would you mind sharing that part list? Ball park on prices would be fairly useful too.

I am thinking of giving it a go myself at some point soon, I think my third gear is starting to show signs of it happening soon, and I quite fancy the challenge.
There’s literally 3 items that I use all the time mate, 2x synchro rings for 3rd/4th gear and the screw that holds the bearing in place on the end of the shaft.
I’m happy to fire those part numbers up here along with the prices mate. Everything else is done on a strip, inspect and replace if found to be worn.

One word of advice - the screw that you need to undo to gain access to 3rd/4th gear has loctite on it from the factory. It’s torqued up to 130nm, but you need a special tool to hold the shaft to undo said screw. It’s also funkin’ tight to undo thanks to the loctite. You’ll need a puller, a press and some good quality circlip pliers to strip and rebuild the box.

There’s literally 3 items that I use all the time mate, 2x synchro rings for 3rd/4th gear and the screw that holds the bearing in place on the end of the shaft.
I’m happy to fire those part numbers up here along with the prices mate. Everything else is done on a strip, inspect and replace if found to be worn.

One word of advice - the screw that you need to undo to gain access to 3rd/4th gear has loctite on it from the factory. It’s torqued up to 130nm, but you need a special tool to hold the shaft to undo said screw. It’s also funkin’ tight to undo thanks to the loctite. You’ll need a puller, a press and some good quality circlip pliers to strip and rebuild the box.

Hey mate that'd be much appreciated - what in the way of seals/pins do you replace?

Said screw is a right pain I know :smile: but I can just make a tool to make that a lot easier.

Hey mate that'd be much appreciated - what in the way of seals/pins do you replace?

Said screw is a right pain I know :smile: but I can just make a tool to make that a lot easier.
No seals and pins replaced as they don’t need to be/or leak.

Thanks a lot for the help :smile: that parts list would be mega - I'd definitely send my gearbox your way but kinda enjoy learning how to do things myself.
No problem. I’ll try and sort it over the weekend mate.
Trust me, I’m too busy to take it on atm anyway, so I welcome your willing to want to learn!! As of tomorrow my garage will have 7 gearboxes in there.

Thanks a lot for the help :smile: that parts list would be mega - I'd definitely send my gearbox your way but kinda enjoy learning how to do things myself.

Here's what I found out so far:
  • Theres a few seals and the main gasket for the box
  • Synchro rings (either just 3/4 or all of them as I did just because they were less than E40 apeice)
  • 2x end bearings for the drive shaft and 2x for the countershaft
  • 2x differential bearings if you plan to install an LSD
Still working out part numbers for everything. Northloopcup knows :smile: