Our LY 182 progress thread

Little update
picked up my second set of calipers from being shot blasted all done for 10 earth pounds :smile: I did get the file out before I got them blasted to remove all the casting lines and as much pitting as I could, they'll be goin to the powder coated in the morrow

cf2de382.jpg

ad2efaa4.jpg

**UPDATE**

This is the 1st update of several over the next week or so :wink:

I got the front calipers powder coated in red, and while they where in bits I thought it would be an idea to replace all the seal etc.
PowderCoatedCaliper1.jpg
PowderCoatedCaliper2.jpg
I got a set of ferrodo pads and Brembo discs, I'm going to groove the discs before fitting them, not decided on a pattern yet.

Then today I fitted my Scorpion decat pipe
IMG_3496.jpg
I was expecting it to be a nightmare job given how rusting the bolts looked, but it came off pretty easily the only bit that was hard was getting the Lambda out the cat. A quick phone call to Fred @ BTM, a spanner and some precision swings with a lum hammer soon shifted though. All fitted
IMG_3500.jpg

Went out for a blast and omg when your accelerating the noise is amazin, cant wait to get it through a tunnel :wink:

I had the belts changed this week by the legend that is Fred, he also fitted my catcams, pics of this to follow shortly :smile:

Comments welcome

Brilliant Rich.

How long did the callipers take from you sending them away ? Or was it local ?

I'm thinking of doing this with the rears on my 197 as they are flaking but I know Renault will kick up a fuss and probably blame the DS2500 pads.

I brought another pair off ebay so I can keep the car on the raod, they only took a few days to get coated though :smile:

oh and thanks for the comments guys

For front and rear caliper blast an paint I take it the piston has to come out ? Or just taped up ??? Need my brembos done asap

If u want them powder coating you'll have to do a complete strip I'm afraid. Once the powder is on the caliper they are put into an oven and baked at about 200 degrees so all the seals would just melt

Ohh I c I dread to think of the price of seals for front brembos :-(

better man up and get it done though thanks for all your help

Ohh I c I dread to think of the price of seals for front brembos :-(

better man up and get it done though thanks for all your help

your won't be that old though mate, they might not need replacing. The seals that came out those calipers where still pretty good :smile:

**CATCAM UPDATE**

2 weeks ago I popped over to Birmingham to see Fred at BTM. The car needed a new Cam and Aux belt so this was the perfect time to get the CatCams fitted. Fred was recommended to me by Matt @ TDF (recommendations don't come a lot higher imo) oh and Naith :wink:

Me and Naith got there at 10:30, no Fred lol
TDKcoilys214.gif
Now what Fred lacks in time keeping he makes up for with knowledge and ability, the bloke is a legend. I'm anal about making sure my cars are well looked after and I will have no hesitation about sending either of the Clio's to him in the future Fred you are my new mechanic :smile:

So the work began
182Cams1.jpg
Me crying at seeing her in bits lol
182Cams4.jpg
Old Cams out
182Originalcams.jpg
mmmmmm engine
182Cams2.jpg
Me constantly bugging Fred with lots of "whats that" and "hows that work?"
182Cams3.jpg
While Fred was working on the 182 I was fitting these to TDK
TDKcoilys276.gif
And the car going back together
182Cams5.jpg

I'd just like to add that when Fred tells anyone that the parts he uses are Renault parts they just dont come in a Reanult box that he's telling you the truth. I make metal & plastis casting tools for a living so I know what I'm looking at. The new tensioners etc where the same as the ones that came off just with "Renault" scratched off.

Anyway, I left BTM and could instantly tell a massive difference, when the car got to 5K it went mental. I got home and the car stayed in the garage until last weekend when I went to TDF so Matt could remap the old girl. And here are the results.

This is a comparison to when I had it rolling roaded in Feb, but not quite the final result
182PowerGraph1TDF17-04-10.jpg

This is the final figure, and increase of 10bhp peak power, and nearly 20 foot lb of torque :smiley:
182PowerGraph2TDF17-04-10.jpg

All I can say is WOW, I am well chuffed with the result. The car was quick before but its feels mental now. There is so much more power between 4.5K and 6K, which is right where you want it :smile:

Just want to say a massive/enormous thanks to both Matt @ Tour De Force and Fred @ BTM. These blokes really do know what they're talking about and what they're doing, they don't have the reps they have for nothing people, you are both LEGENDS. Thanks :smiley:

Thanks for reading, stay tuned :smile:

**Update**

After the cams were fitted Fred told me to change the oil after 100 miles or so, slightly annoying given I had changed the oil about a month before but nevermind lol. I decided to go for Castrol sport edge again as it seem great before
Oil.jpg

The front brakes where shot and I knew the disks where at the end of their life so I order a pair from Brembo (the standard HC ones) and grooved them myself
R26RDisks.jpg
I was given a set of Ferodo pads and was told they were standard OEM replacement but after looking at this pic I realise they are infact DS2500's I did think the bed in procedure seemed a bit brutal but it was cool seeing smoke pure out from the wheels lol
NewPads.jpg
The archs were a bit of a mess so I took the oppertunity to get the sponge out
WheelArch.jpg
I fitted my newly powder coated calipers aswell, here's it all back together :smile:
NewBrakes.jpg

They've been on the car for about 2 weeks now and I do rate these pads, they bite well and dont require any warming. Not sure what they're like regarding fading yet but so far Im impressed.

Similar Thread Suggestions