Our Intake

Rather than try and explain, I've did what I think is correct, can anyone confirm?

Took off the plastic acoustic valve (I believe) and put a wee fat screw in the small black hose then taped the end of it and cable tied it down?

fe07cf2ecc069f5ffc29b613fa189b42.jpg
3ae63ee3232428c3d87f15d21dcad5ed.jpg

Then am I right in saying I should try and extend that hose on down further until under the headlight to allow cooler air to go into it rather than where it is currently sitting?

Hope I'm not completely wrong here. Certainly not moving the car until someone says it's okay like this lol

Rather than try and explain, I've did what I think is correct, can anyone confirm?

Took off the plastic acoustic valve (I believe) and put a wee fat screw in the small black hose then taped the end of it and cable tied it down?

View attachment 112815
View attachment 112816

Then am I right in saying I should try and extend that hose on down further until under the headlight to allow cooler air to go into it rather than where it is currently sitting?

Hope I'm not completely wrong here. Certainly not moving the car until someone says it's okay like this lol

You can remove that black pipe completely. But yeah it'll be grand to drive like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Roshi69

View attachment 112815
View attachment 112816

The pictures are of mine. Although you're having a discussion with someone else ! Hence why i didnt see this........

Get a pipe and maybe a coupler to connect to the black 'U' shaped pipe you have left; and direct it down under the headlight and forward in the car yes. You'll be 'fine' driving as you are - but of course the ultimate aim is to get your engine breathing cold, dense and fresh air from the outside - not warm air from inside the engine bay.

I think standard is a great system, however if the battery wasn't there it would be designed differently.

Easier to work in a bay with no battery and a large easy to remove airbox. This can be removed in 10 seconds revealing plenty of room. 10e438eb96de36e6cc00fad7f44683eb.jpg

I'm doing a meg swap now with the same principles in mind.. has to be as easy or easier to work in than standard

Just read through this topic, interesting to say the least!

Id be reluctant with the Maxi airbox setup as it appears you have to cut through the front slam panel(the plastic bar?) to route the cold air. This to me is a massive no-no as your compromising the cars structure IMO.

The structure is pretty much there as it supports the small rad and bonnet catch. It's not structural in a sense that it would add rigidity or strength in an accident, that's what the chassis legs and cross member are for.

I use aero catches, and have cut the middle out of the slam panel.

Have you tried it now? Notice any difference?

I've heard mixed reports with people saying they noticed more of a note from the engine while others didn't.

I put a K&N filter in a few months back and it made a slight difference just but with the acoustic valve off there is a definite difference from standard. Much deeper note from the engine in lower revs (as before I didn't really hear much unless giving the throttle a good bit). Even quite slow you can hear a nice wee rumble.

Can't comment on how it would be removing it and using the standard air filter though as I had the filter in before removing the valve.

I certainly wouldn't put it back on and if you have replaced the standard air filter I would definitely do it!

Reactions: sevenfourate
I've heard mixed reports with people saying they noticed more of a note from the engine while others didn't.

I put a K&N filter in a few months back and it made a slight difference just but with the acoustic valve off there is a definite difference from standard. Much deeper note from the engine in lower revs (as before I didn't really hear much unless giving the throttle a good bit). Even quite slow you can hear a nice wee rumble.

Can't comment on how it would be removing it and using the standard air filter though as I had the filter in before removing the valve.

I certainly wouldn't put it back on and if you have replaced the standard air filter I would definitely do it!

Anyone know the diameter of the tube? Thinking about what to buy as an extension.

I think standard is a great system, however if the battery wasn't there it would be designed differently.

Easier to work in a bay with no battery and a large easy to remove airbox. This can be removed in 10 seconds revealing plenty of room. View attachment 112818

I'm doing a meg swap now with the same principles in mind.. has to be as easy or easier to work in than standard

What's the noise like with that box? Open cone sounds great but obviously isn't the best option.

Anyone know the diameter of the tube? Thinking about what to buy as an extension.
i'm the same, would like to know this to try and get an extension hose of sorts.

I will measure at some point though im useless and itll not be right somehow lol

i'm the same, would like to know this to try and get an extension hose of sorts.

I will measure at some point though im useless and itll not be right somehow lol

I have wondered about blanking the entire thing and just relying on the main intake, anyone see any issues with this? Or is it because at lower revs some air comes in naturally...

I have wondered about blanking the entire thing and just relying on the main intake, anyone see any issues with this? Or is it because at lower revs some air comes in naturally...
I can't comment personally as i dont know a single thing about air intake etc, my only thought would be, if it was there to begin with surely it has some purpose lol.

I've just noticed a nicer sound from the car for sure and definitely a good bit more grunt and thats what i was after. the gap looks untidy now but no one will see my engine lol.

want to give the engine a proper clean some time soon and hopefully get new coloured hoses that everyone seems to have, need to source them

I can't comment personally as i dont know a single thing about air intake etc, my only thought would be, if it was there to begin with surely it has some purpose lol.

I've just noticed a nicer sound from the car for sure and definitely a good bit more grunt and thats what i was after. the gap looks untidy now but no one will see my engine lol.

want to give the engine a proper clean some time soon and hopefully get new coloured hoses that everyone seems to have, need to source them

True, it is there for a reason.

So what size pipework did you use?