Our Intake

very interesting read.

Sounds like could be good to try get a extra cold air feed near the sound proof inlet, as they do get quite warm under the hood. noticed today after giving it some.

Air box is quite similar to one's in mini JCW's. They have flap on them that opens up over 4k to aid extra air and also keeps induction down at low revs

Have i read some where that intake pipe got some sort of plastic bit in it that people cut out to add exrta air flow?

Last edited:
very interesting read.

Sounds like could be good to try get a extra cold air feed near the sound proof inlet, as they do get quite warm under the hood. noticed today after giving it some.

Air box is quite similar to one's in mini JCW's. They have flap on them that opens up over 4k to aid extra air and also keeps induction down at low revs

Have i read some where that intake pipe got some sort of plastic bit in it that people cut out to add exrta air flow?

on a 197 the cold air feed goes to a blanked off box in the front bumper which you can unblock but the feed also doesn't line up with the top front grille as you'd expect so a bit of flexi neoprene will sort that

unfortunately i'm not sure about the 200

Same setup on the 200.

The box under the battery is an acoustic thing as far as I'm aware. They're quite common in a lot of cars and don't really serve any purpose... If you were to use the silicone intake pipes you can get then they actually bypass this box anyway.

The best way to get cool air in the engine bay is to get the hot air out.

A bonnet scoop gets cool air in but having louvres punched in the bonnet that actually face the other way work much better. The outside air rushing over the louvres suck an enormous amount of hot air out.

I'm always amazed at how hot it gets under the hood.

Something like this will look good on the Clio
http://www.rotaryart.uk.com/acatalog/info_xtremeBR_RX7bonnet.html

Isn't that what the grilles on the wings are for??

Never been convinced about CAI. Tried it and for the work, all the improvements were marginal at best.

going to try mine without the CAF when i get 5 minutes and see how it feels,a little giggley mancunian man in a black car told me he'd been talking to you litchy,:tongue_smilie:

Isn't that what the grilles on the wings are for??

Engine bay and brakes, if you put your hand out of the window on a cool day then you'll feel the warmth coming from them along the side of the car as you're going along. They do look as if they're blanked off but they do serve a purpose... Have a look at the rendering on my profile on here, I've got it set as my photo. :smile:

going to try mine without the CAF when i get 5 minutes and see how it feels,a little giggley mancunian man in a black car told me he'd been talking to you litchy,:tongue_smilie:

You raaang m'lord!!! :smiley:

Worth a try mate, if you think about it then the space you've put the feed/pipe in is the same path the air would be taking only you'll have actually reduced the area by filling it with piping. Have a nosey at mine when you're over and the V6 setup looks like it'll barely get any air where it is but it gets a nice old helping of it. :smile:

My V6 box is in the process of going in. the resonator box under the battery tray was a b#tch to remove

Indeed, mine's still sat there adding weight hahaha!!!

It's a job for when I've got a spare hour and a crate of beer. :smile:

on a 197 the cold air feed goes to a blanked off box in the front bumper which you can unblock but the feed also doesn't line up with the top front grille as you'd expect so a bit of flexi neoprene will sort that

unfortunately i'm not sure about the 200

So it'll be pain to get at? Bumper off jobbie?

Ahhh interesting!!! Looks a good job that Scott. I suppose the Maxogen being where it is, it is as far away from the grilles as possible really. Have you seen the now released photos of the K-Tec setup they've been working on for centuries? That sits in the same place as the Maxogen and had no feeds, only a heat shield...

Chris, you could probably do it without the bumper off if you removed the battery, or like Foxspeed said of you got the undertray off and did a bit of fiddling and swearing. :smile:

Really, not worth the bother alone. Would only entertain it along side other mods...63mm TB for example. And in dads army stylie "the ecu doesn't like it up um'".....

So it'll be pain to get at? Bumper off jobbie?

its pretty easy to get the bumper off mate,there's a good guide on here about it in the "how to" section and if iirc the guide is based on a 200

i have heard of people unblanking the box on a 197 by undoing the top of the bumper and squeezing there poor little paws down inside but i wouldn't recommend it,get the bumper off so you can see where to get the best feed from

I think he means how the ECU can be a bit quirky when you change stuff, like how some took time for the idle to settle of changing TB but others adapted quickly etc.. They do seem to adjust well even without mapping, but then others seem to need a bit of time to do.

this is the neoprene hose i fitted to the OEM cold air inlet,obviously i trimmed it and lined it up with the grille on the bumper but i fitted the flexi pipe to try and cool the inlet plenum

7255793610_f65370c795_b.jpg
plenum temps by scott1532, on Flickr