Oulton park cages, who's got them? Pics??

so what are u saying azon exactly??

a2on was saying that it wouldn't be safe having the harnesses mounted so low with the Recaro seats. Because they aren't fixed back, they are liable to snap with the harnesses putting stress through them in a crash.

a2on was saying that it wouldn't be safe having the harnesses mounted so low with the Recaro seats. Because they aren't fixed back, they are liable to snap with the harnesses putting stress through them in a crash.

so what are u saying azon exactly??

I think he was trying to say that most rear cages are used as a safe place to mount to harnesses at the correct degree eg less than 10 degress not 45 directly to the floor, if you roll the car you'll more than likely compress your spine, not to mention you can generate up to 10 G's in the event of accident. I don't know what you guys use to fix the rear harnesses to the floor but it needs to be something very secure!

I'm not sure about the clio but I'm guessing looking at that cage it doesn't attach near the rear strut pick up points so does little to improve handling.

It's only function would be in a roll.

I think he was trying to say that most rear cages are used as a safe place to mount to harnesses at the correct degree eg less than 10 degress not 45 directly to the floor, if you roll the car you'll more than likely compress your spine, not to mention you can generate up to 10 G's in the event of accident. I don't know what you guys use to fix the rear harnesses to the floor but it needs to be something very secure!

I'm not sure about the clio but I'm guessing looking at that cage it doesn't attach near the rear strut pick up points so does little to improve handling.

It's only function would be in a roll.

Indeed thanks.

If mounted down so much do you not cross them over? That is what scroth recommend I believe and Graham Hathaway never said the ones in my track car were unsafe :wink:

If mounted down so much do you not cross them over? That is what scroth recommend I believe and Graham Hathaway never said the ones in my track car were unsafe :wink:

Nope that's totally wrong. Crossing the harnesses over is nothing to do with how low they're mounted.

Here's EXACTLY what scroth say:

image_033.gif

image_032.gif

Sorry was getting it wrong its length of the harness that determines if you cross the harness over! Knew i had it done for a reason lol.

It's not a roll cage because it's not a 'cage' that you sit inside. Consider it more of a roll bar. It will prevent the roof from collapsing in should the worst happen. These bars are seriously built, weighing in at around 40kg and bolting directly to reinforced parts of the car ( rear seat mounts ).

I can only imagine these were fitted to instruction vehicles or hire cars for the track, so in the interest of H&S these were custom built to do the job of roll over protection!? I hardly think they serve no purpose... And if this were true clearly Oulton Park had been had over!

Correct Ben, they were comissioned by MSV for use in the Clio 197 when they used them as RaceMaster experience cars and MSA Licence cars.

Sophie (engineering honcho) at Oulton Park told me they're made by a company called ''Caged'' AKA The Roll Cage People.