Old Gits LY.....now under conversion

Inside painted and that wasn't a straight forward job, :swear: compressor regulator!!!
Anyway went for silver, thought white would soon look mucky and wasn't prepared to fork out £400 for the 3 stage paint to get LY inside.

Photo%2006-07-2016%2017%2013%2002_zpsclnj5v3x.jpg"]Photo%2006-07-2016%2017%2013%2002_zpsclnj5v3x.jpg[/URL]

Well the rear wiper delete blank being recycled...but jury still out. It will least keep the rain out until something better turns up.

2016-07-08%2012.19.19_zpsuxmb2x4q.jpg

Last edited:
Clio Mk2 rack turned up with ecu, thats the one on the right. 197/200 does look a lot more, but the bulk of it is to do with the steering column adjustment mechanism which the mk2 only has in one direction and this has been removed.

Photo%2012-07-2016%2017%2008%2025_zps05krjdva.jpg

Mock up , picking up the original mountings on the bulkhead bar ( will still be using the original dash so need the fixing points). Had to chop up the MK2 brackets to help with the positioning and measure up and manufacture more beefy brackets.

Photo%2013-07-2016%2018%2051%2027_zpsnadhq1o6.jpg

With now not having fore and aft adjustment on the steering column and wanting to hide the EPAS motor within the dash it looks like I'll have to purchase a column extension kit as well as a quick release boss, this so I can get into the seat whilst still maintaining a comfortable "race position" i.e arms at 120 deg bend, horizontal centre line of wheel level with the base of my neck.......apparently! Been trialling this position out on the daily and it does make life easier (IMO) when tramping on in the bends.

Just a small update, Mk2 rack now in place, didn't bother going to town on the brackets as they are hidden by the dash.

2016-07-19%2018.28.14%20HDR_zpsujbqxjek.jpg

With using the mk2 column had to use mk2 steering shaft. A couple of small issue's to get round, that namely its a longer unit, but a hammer and vice sorted that and compressed the length and also the clamp bolt & nut, as I only had the original 197 one so had to open the hole out to take the nut

With going to cable throttle body (cup race ) , utilised 172 cable throttle pedal. See how that goes. Already identified that a wider pedal plate maybe needed, but that's low priority at the minute.

2016-07-21%2019.56.36_zpsgjo4dntf.jpg

Next step: get the dash back on after blanking a few bulkhead holes up.

Last edited:
Nice thread, I have just bought my Clio and I am grateful of the r3 box fitting tips as I have been eyeing it up today.

Just a little update, been busy doing those jobs which take time but have no big impact. Namely wiring! Also got the fire extinguisher & battery plumbed in.
Only significant thing to show is the re-worked clio dash to accommodate various switches etc. For those who will ask:-
The alloy tube = external - internal isolator pull cable (end stop)
Empty hole will house the fire extinguisher pull handle
Yellow light - Indicator lamp sited above the indicator switch.
Blue light - Ignition on
Red capped knob = Steering sensitivity - fitted clio 2 EPAS unit.

2016-09-01%2019.00.33_zpseybybmbi.jpg

To get the wiring finished been waiting some weeks for the new ECU & loom from Pure Motorsport. Had a couple of issues with the loom it appears that Renault changed the cam sensor & VVT solenoid between the 197 & 200. So had to use the original plugs from the renault loom.
As previously mentioned will be running the DTAdriod for the dash as a starter
The ECU has a base map to get me to a stage to test the various sensors & run the engine upto 3500rpm.

Need to get his thrown in readiness for a house move next month.....can't wait .....big double garage!!!

Photo%2016-09-2016%2022%2053%2021_zpsheg7t57x.jpg

Could you have not looked at running a hydraulic rack setup? The only thing the Clio lacks is a touch of steering feel vs the older generation of great hatches, would have been a nice opportunity to maybe rectify it?

Could you have not looked at running a hydraulic rack setup? The only thing the Clio lacks is a touch of steering feel vs the older generation of great hatches, would have been a nice opportunity to maybe rectify it?

I agree and maybe I will look at in the future, but as this set up was a quick fix and not placing unnecessary load on a engine that is already struggling to punch out of a wet paper bag.
As this car will be struggling to compete in any standard road class events, due to not running standard ecu & TB, plus loads of other stuff. I will have to tune the nuts out of it, thats after Ive enjoyed its present set next year. Any further improvements will probably be on the hit list for next winter (inc steering improvements).
It may no doubt be v6 next winter!

Fair enough, yeah it would be anything but a quick job to get a hyd rack setup completed!

What TB you going to use, ph1 172? If so are you going to re-tap the plenum bolt spacing or get hold of a Cup Racer plenum which I believe matches those already.