Old Gits LY.....now under conversion

@krash67, its good to see my product built in already! let me know your experience with it on road and track, pls!

Would you pls share how did you removed the A/C completely?
I also would like do do it in the winter and your help is much appreciated in advance!

cheers

Last edited:
Could You take a picture from the front of the car (with the bumper fitted) to show how r3 airbox sits behind the front bumper in Clio 200. As it was designed for Clio 197 I assume the inlet for this airbox is blocked (at least to some extent) by front bumper design. I've been thinking about fitting one myself but wasn't sure if the bumper design of clio 200 would distort the air feed and hence: RAM effect. Ended up with Cup/V6 airbox and for now, ITB's next year maybe.
Anyway, thanks in advance mate.
P.S. There's a french company that makes the r3 airbox as well and (at least from the photo) It seems to have all the clamps to hold the airbox parts together so You don't have to use tape :wink:

http://www.mcracingsa.com/4-pieces-...-rs/5925-boite-a-air-moteur-renault-clio-rs3/

yeh will post a pic when all sorted, but I must say, from trial fitting, there is hardly any intererence of the present grill fouling air flow into the inlet. Actually its quite a good fit....well I think so.

Well in place and still waiting for some clips.
http://2015-09-14%2015.01.12_zps6lj5jmmf.jpg

The "tapping points" for the inlet air temp sensor and the cam top breather will be plugged(capped off), the latter due to already running a oil knock out pot.

Progressed with the relocation of the header tank. decided to put it here. Tried numerous other header tanks from other cars (local scrap yard likes me!!) but ended back with the original.
http://
The silver pipe is what Ive knocked up to connect the rad vent back to the header. Awaiting some 16mm aluminium pipe to finish the header to rad filling pipe.

without wanting to diss anyone's work or sound like a d1ck, but that air box setup could look ten-fold better if they hadn't put an ugly material join line on the top face, and matched the weave direction on the lower/front intake part. Plus tried to avoid weave distortion.

a bit of simple thought in the laying up process would elevate the final piece even further.

having said all that, you have done a sterling job getting it fitted. Should hopefully bring some power gains!

Attachments

• 2015-09-14%2015.01.12_zps6lj5jmmf.jpg
    2015-09-14%2015.01.12_zps6lj5jmmf.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 2015-09-16%2019.41.39_zps4brg8oqp.jpg
    2015-09-16%2019.41.39_zps4brg8oqp.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 4
without wanting to diss anyone's work or sound like a d1ck, but that air box setup could look ten-fold better if they hadn't put an ugly material join line on the top face, and matched the weave direction on the lower/front intake part. Plus tried to avoid weave distortion.

a bit of simple thought in the laying up process would elevate the final piece even further.

having said all that, you have done a sterling job getting it fitted. Should hopefully bring some power gains!

Good points [MENTION=1589]fmp[/MENTION], will take them! These are easy fixes, will apply when producing next air box! cheers

Good points @fmp, will take them! These are easy fixes, will apply when producing next air box! cheers

I work in composites, so have a certain eye for detail (and standard we work to). Thanks for not taking offence! As none was intended. As mentioned, otherwise looks a great setup!

Well finally got some clips that work and fitted to the air box.
35b2ba026b0d0e5bdb7c93dfae1b777a.jpg

And it all back in for the final time.
44a4e83a7efbe38d8c1e7d1408c4bda8.jpg

It was mentioned how good is the air path into the front , with this being fitted to a 200. Hopefully this shows it,
15674ba4110c61459c0498eba68fc9ed.jpg

Taking it out for a blast tomorrow night to see how it goes, I don't think I'll see any vast improvement. But Revving the nuts out of it in the garage tonight was still getting a nice induction roar!.

One ball ache is that now for some reason my washer pump won't go. After having to mod that set up because of the header tank. Pump fires straight off a battery, seem to have a "control" side issue!. Anyway delving into the electrics will keep me out of mischief for a few nights whilst I'll think what else I can spend the kids inheritance on!

Excellent [MENTION=52417]krash67[/MENTION]! You are ahead of me of installing mine. Looks great. Which spring latch & plates did you go for from Protex? Theres like 14 pages of the things. lol
I'd be interested to hear your overall impressions with the results. Any noticeable noise or power increase etc?

Thanks guys for the comments.

Excellent @krash67! You are ahead of me of installing mine. Looks great. Which spring latch & plates did you go for from Protex? Theres like 14 pages of the things. lol
I'd be interested to hear your overall impressions with the results. Any noticeable noise or power increase etc?
[MENTION=3095]karbonCup[/MENTION]. Protex clips part number 27-632SEALMSZN link takes you to the page. I just went for the first one that looked adequate, there are technical drawings of the catches for dimensions. I think it would be ok to go down a size, the issue is getting the latch clip long enough to go over the lip of the filter housing part, with out the body of the clip being to near the lip itself.......if you know what I mean!

Since looking again on the link just seen there's some mild steel but in black!!!......damm......might get these though!

Will report back with a noise vid when I suss youtube uploading !! :lol:

Last edited:
Very very nice mate. Looks fantastic. Would be interested to get a video of the sound of it too. So to fit this air box you need to relocate battery and header tank and what else?

Very very nice mate. Looks fantastic. Would be interested to get a video of the sound of it too. So to fit this air box you need to relocate battery and header tank and what else?

Where I relocated the head tank to, meant that I had to come up with a way to fill the washer tank ( as i had to remove the filling neck). This was simple, a bit of hose into the tank and up into the engine bay and secured. Only issue, you need a funnel to fill it!.

Well guys took the thing for a good thrash, there appears a vast improvement in pick and go from 3500 revs onwards and screams all the way to red line with no effort.

Well after coming back from my saturday blast, came home to another problem.....central locking doesn't work via the fobs, internal batteries ok. Car doesn't even recognise them to start the car. Which is no problem as I'm old fashioned and used to sticking something in a hole to get something struck into life!
Acquired one of those DVD's off ebay with all the electrical diagrams on....very useful bit of kit. went through all connections, fuses etc and nothing. Car can still be locked by pressing the central locking button on the centre consul down for 5 secs and then close the door....making sure you've got a key fob in your hand!
Anybody had similar issues , let us know what you did different.

Having a break with messing around on the clio, going to enjoy it for a bit. Anyway got another project (winter one) turning up tomorrow.

Good thread mate! Need to get one started for mine soon!

would you say the airbox is a good buy then? Had it on a dyno yet?

got a v6 box on mine but love the look of the r3

Good thread mate! Need to get one started for mine soon!

would you say the airbox is a good buy then? Had it on a dyno yet?

got a v6 box on mine but love the look of the r3

Havn't re-dyno'd it yet. Prefer to spend the few hundred quid on something else at the minute. Good buy?. The weave can be improved, this already mentioned on Flasci's for sale thread. Overall...ok.

Bump for the thread, any updates on the airbox? How is the noise / power with it installed?

Bump for the thread, any updates on the airbox? How is the noise / power with it installed?

Cant really update as the car is still in winter storage, been progressing another project. car will be coming out in early spring to start 2016 mod list as well as another remap. Will report back then.
Thanks for asking.....