North Worcestershire new owner

Just bought standard 197 ,on 100k,which is now being prep'd - usual body scratches and stone chips,cam belt ,tensioners and water pump and oil and filter change and driver's seat tear.

Now in my 70th year I still can't get away from warm hatches (recent Colt Ralliart, Daihatsu Sirion Rally2) but with Smart Roadster and Renault Super Five Monaco to slow things down in between times!

After spending 15 months refurbishing the Monaco I'm looking forward to not having to source rare cabin parts and spending months removing a cat c notice and getting a respray.

No doubt there will be other problems to overcome but I'm sure the forum will advise suitably.

Welcome to the club. I like your previous cars. Monaco! :thumb: I have no doubt you'll enjoy the 197, such fun cars. All about the chassis & revving the n/a engine. Delights that won't be available to the younger generation, well n/a anyway.

Welcome to the forum! Nice list of past cars, and great to see you're still enjoying the sporty hatches! You will definitely enjoy the 197! Sounds like she is getting plenty of tlc straight away too :smile:

Hi everyone,

Just to thank you all for your kind welcome.

I'll keep you posted when I finally get the car next weekend and we'll see if all the jobs I listed were done!

The trouble is I tend to be very picky when it comes to bodywork even though no one else can see the problem (mind you my wife is even worse and she's not seen it yet!)

Hello and welcome to the club...l'm sure you'll love the car not long joined myself everyone very helpful and friendly so as l said enjoy:uk:

Hi everyone,

Just to thank you all for your kind welcome.

I'll keep you posted when I finally get the car next weekend and we'll see if all the jobs I listed were done!

The trouble is I tend to be very picky when it comes to bodywork even though no one else can see the problem (mind you my wife is even worse and she's not seen it yet!)
a bit of a OCD around this one then :jedi:

thats fine..we all are like that:sweatsmile:

Collected the 197 today with all the work done and body (nearly) sorted - apart from the dreaded tail gate corrosion which I didn't notice until this forum gave me advice.The area is small and I could probably get a temporary repair done although chips away tend to shy away from actual rust areas like this.

I notice that many members have got repairs/replacement done under warranty but not necessarily with all the correct Renault inspection stamps.

Any advice on how I should proceed - I will contact the garage I bought it from in any event.

Secondly ,after recoding the radio ,I notice that the right channel is not working although the levels are set level -is this just likely to be a poor connection or something more suspicious?

The car ran fine without any flat spots on normal running other than a vague throttle response from tick over which seemed to improve once warmed up.

This doesn't bother me unduly as this trait seems regular in drive by wire throttles -my 2 year old Peugeot 2008 1.6 petrol manual is very similar although the dealer did find a problem which was partially fixed!

So far so (nearly) good!!

Update on tailgate rust.

Renault responded very quickly and arranged their agent body shop to view.

The body shop said that the tailgate had been repaired previously and I could see that many of the internal fixings had been poorly refitted and that the inside of the tailgate was as shiney as the outside which the shop said would have been a much flatter finish from original!(this I do not know if correct or not)

Despite that Renault tried to tie up repair history but in the end couldn't ,but to their credit have given the go ahead for the repair to be done!

I've been very impressed at Renault's attention and kept me updated very regularly despite not being able to contact me straight away due to poor mobile signal.

Can't praise them enough!

Reactions: Gus and R11HOY
Scrub the last post -misunderstood the various messages -will let you know if there are any positive developments -will find out on Thursday!