Hi there,

New joiner, about to buy a 56 plate 197, if anyone can steer me in the direction of things I should be wary of/look out for it'd be much appreciated.

Car is ostensibly for the wife (but not at weekends), other car is an Alpina D3, so I'm looking forward to getting back into a petrol driven machine again

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll both love the motor, nothing major to look out for really but would be great if the cambelt service has been done as thats the expensive one.

Get some pics u when you have the car. :smile:

Thanks Fernandez,

Already got the selling dealer to agree to do the cambelt kit for me before I collect. They wouldn't do it for free, but agreed to do it for £125 which I felt wasn't too bad, hopefully collect Weds or Thurs this week.
Its in Burton on Trent and I'm in Glasgow so have a wee run up the road to look forward to to get me started

£125 is a bargain, Renault would have 500-600 off you easily for that.

Should be a very enjoyable drive home, totally different to the D3, I'm sure the beemer has bags of torque low down where as you have to rev the clio hard to get into the power but thats what the car loves best and she will reward you for it. :thumbup:

Welcome Scott
Burton to Glasgow = fat wallet lol
Make sure the rubbers on the B pillar are not rotted

As Roy said check the rubbers on the B pillar but they're a cheap fix anyway. If it has Recaro seats check for extensive wear on the lower seat bolsters. I'd check the top of the engine as rocker cover gasket failures have been known to happen (mine went under warranty, but its not a cheap fix if not).

Make sure you check both key cards are working correctly too.

Other than that its like buying any other car. Oh yeah and make sure you give her some, coming from a torquey diesel like the D3 it might feel a little underpowered, but once you get it singing and throw in a few bends you'll know what the cars about :smile:

As Roy said check the rubbers on the B pillar but they're a cheap fix anyway. If it has Recaro seats check for extensive wear on the lower seat bolsters. I'd check the top of the engine as rocker cover gasket failures have been known to happen (mine went under warranty, but its not a cheap fix if not).

Make sure you check both key cards are working correctly too.

Other than that its like buying any other car. Oh yeah and make sure you give her some, coming from a torquey diesel like the D3 it might feel a little underpowered, but once you get it singing and throw in a few bends you'll know what the cars about :smile:

No recaros, unfortunately, and seats looked fine on the video the dealer emailed me. There is only 1 key as the other has been lost at some point :thumbdown:

Will check the top of the engine, thanks for that heads up!

The D3 needs a lot of revs as well as it suffers from big turbo lag, but as you say has loads of torque once spinning. Practical for the miles I do, however I'm looking forward to getting back in a petrol car again!

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O New Members 3
Paul_D New Members 3
lou tennant New Members 13
T New Members 17
Garysp2 New Members 4