Newbie - Mel

Hi, ta for the welcome, I agree, it's a shame that petrol and insurance is so expensive these days, certainly takes some of the fun out of certain cars like Imprezas etc

Oh definately!!! It's all downhill from there hahaha!!!

Obviously it's a very different beast to the EJ engines in the Imprezas and power costs a lot more in terms of £/BHP but I think part of the charm of the Clio is the fact that it can keep up with ''faster'' cars. I hope you're enjoying it, they're cracking cars and revving them like you have to is so addictive. :smiley:

What shape Impreza did you have by the way, which spec'? Get some photos up.

thanks Willis, famous last words eh!

Hi Grumpy! that is weird, will post some if you really are interested, I am enjoying the Clio without even pushing it yet, looks good as well which is always a bonus!

Hi, really enjoying it thanks, haven't really pushed it yet, been too busy concentrating on seeing how high I can get my average consumption up to! good job I didn't have a trip computer on the Impreza! It was an 03 Blobeye WRX, but had it re-mapped to 271.5bhp (.5 being the important bit!) had 5 gears so it was really usable, de-catted etc
Haven't got many pics, only decided to trade it very recently and fell lucky with the Clio, will post the rainy ones tomorrow.
Have you owned an Impreza?

My Dad is on his third, so I get hold of the keys every now and then.

He had a '95 Turbo2000, 07' WRX (Hawkeye) and currently has a '10 WRXS (Hatch). Cracking cars, from oldest to newest. The newest is a bit marmite for a lot of people with it being the hatch, but it's by far an away the best handling of the lot. Unreal amount of grip, almost as much as the Clio!!! :wink:

For what it's worth, that's NEVER seen over 28MPG (EJ25 will just get 28MPG at a steady 70MPG on the motorway) and on track it has been down as low as 6.8MPG (lowest I've had the Clio down to is 12MPG on track). I can't imagine you'll have ever got much more that 25MPG in the Blobeye, they're not built for economy!!! :smiley:

Last edited:
Best I could get on the motorway plus bit of B roading was an estimated 28mpg, that was taking it easy though, otherwise I was keeping Shell in business! oh, that's a point, I see the Clio will run ok on 95ron, haven't tried V Power yet, any performance benefits from your experience?

I've put one half tank of 95RON in in two years of ownership. Not just a placebo, she didn't feel the same and the MPG dropped a couple of figures too. V-Power is all I've used the rest of the time, I wouldn't say she feels faster on it but she does feel smoother. It's worth the exta few Pence I think, keeps everything that bit cleaner inside.

The Clios do generally suffer from a bit of kangarooing when cold and can sometimes have a flat spot between 2,000RPM - 2,500RPM. Sticking to V-Power significantly reduced both, as did changing the Cat and Exhaust.

It's the little things that make the differences on these when you combine them together.

Last edited:
Haven't had time for a good search yet, did see Rentech @ Portsmouth, can you recommend anyone? I have booked in for a cam belt change with the main dealers in Exeter next week - charging £595 including tensioners, other belts and bits, seems a lot, they where asking £700 + initially though.

So far Rentech have been brilliant to me, can't recommend them enough. Had a chat about 5 year service with them a while back and think it came to around £700 for belts & bits, water pump, and oil etc.

Morning Willis, I was going to try V-Power next week on my way up to Japfest @ Castle Combe (if they'll let me in lol) really for all the reasons you have mentioned.
I was thinking of changing the cat etc, had a chat with my Subaru tuner who has worked on all sorts and likes Clios, he reckons there would be no significant gains, would value your opinion, cheers, Mel

Well I use a K-Tec 200 Cell and it's hard to say what effect it's had on its own because I fitted it at the same time as a K-Tec Cat-Back. What I can confirm though is that the emissions are no worse than the standard one. The car on a whole feels more free with this system compared to the standard one and the flatspot is virtually non-existent now too, but I can't say wether the 200 Cell or the Cat-Back was the deciding factor in this.

To be honest, I was going to just leave the standard Cat on as it's very efficient to begin with. The only reason why I stuck the 200 Cell on is because I got it at a ridiculously low price. There's a Pre-Cat in the Manifold on these cars too, a lot of people have passed the emissions tests with just this in place after removing the other Cat. I think the main difference between which Cat or Decat you use is noise. Nobody will ever notice 1BHP that you might gain...

Hi Rich, thanks for that, the price sounds reasonable. As mentioned i am booked in with the Renault dealer in Exeter, know i'll pay more, but it's across the road from where I work, so no travelling costs, swings and roundabouts eh!
My car was last serviced by Rentech, will check them out, cheers.

That's what the Subaru tuner said really, mind you, I do like a nice exhaust note, oh when will it all stop! Thanks for the advice.

Welcome mel im like yourself come over from jap cars to french and like you too i said i wasnt going to mess with this one lol

As Willis points out the Clio can suffer from kangerooing when cold, I always turn the TC off when getting in the car and this does seem to solve the issue.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Paul_D New Members 3
lou tennant New Members 13
T New Members 17
Garysp2 New Members 4
R Clio 197 Area 6