Newbie looking for first Clio o.O

Thanks for the replies. There seems to be a few on Facebook within the 197 pages. Since posting my own hello message and introduction on their Facebook group I've already had a few people trying to sell me theirs. Assuming I'd be better off buying from someone like that who is an enthusiast rather than a trader. Although I saw this one I liked.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-C...325950?hash=item33cc25423e:g:cx0AAOSwiDFYPqO1
Any thoughts?

Hi mate that red one has been for sale on e-bay & autotrader for over 6 months
i was going to go have a look before i got mine but the white stickers etc put me off

Reactions: Dave Cyrus
Hi mate that red one has been for sale on e-bay & autotrader for over 6 months
i was going to go have a look before i got mine but the white stickers etc put me off
Good heads up there mate thanks. Haha I'll be slated for this but I really don't mind the stickers And I love the spec. There's that one plus the white one that was mentioned a few comments back I like both

Stickers on the red one aren't for me. Not against stickers at all (we have an R27 at the end of the day!) I just don't think they're done too well. But they could come off.

If the rest of the car is sound I certainly wouldn't let them put me off. Seems just a touch over priced maybe but if what @dulevo666 says is right and it's been around a while they might be tempted to listen to offers. I'd put a really cheeky offer in, like REALLY cheeky and see what they say!

Obviously get the car inspected too. Never trust anyone who is trying to sell you a car. Oh and there's very little info on the advert so you'll need full service info too. If the belts are due (and they could be) that's a big bill you'll need to suck up immediately. Haggle mate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Cyrus
I don't like red cars as a rule of thumb and only reason I'm considering the ebay one was cos the stickers and white alloys offset it a bit. However that blue one is a thing of beauty but want to keep cost down as much as poss. If I could get away with spending 4K or less I'd be over joyed
EDIT - That's not a cup either is it? The blue one. As no red calipers. So wouldn't be as good for track right?

I don't like red cars as a rule of thumb and only reason I'm considering the ebay one was cos the stickers and white alloys offset it a bit. However that blue one is a thing of beauty but want to keep cost down as much as poss. If I could get away with spending 4K or less I'd be over joyed
EDIT - That's not a cup either is it? The blue one. As no red calipers. So wouldn't be as good for track right?

I definitely wouldn't dismiss a non-Cup where trackdays are concerned. The difference between them and the Cup is not night and day - both handle very well either way, with a slight advantage to the Cup.

I wouldn't turn a non-Cup down on that basis, especially if the spec/condition/history etc is good. You can always upgrade to Cup suspension for relatively cheaply too, or go for aftermarket parts, which would also improve the handling.

Dave, as @Jimmy said, don't think you need to go for the "performance" models if you want to use it on track as in reality there's very little difference. Yes the suspension is very slightly more suitable but if you're serious about tracking it, you'll need proper suspension very quickly anyway, especially if you're putting some grippy rubber on.

If it's just a bit of fun, a bog standard poverty spec 197 will do you proud for certain.

Reactions: Jimmy
Ohhh really? I thought the difference was quite big. I've seen a few non cups I instantly dismissed due to not being cup model. Suspension aside - isn't the difference between brakes quite different between the two or not?

Ohhh really? I thought the difference was quite big. I've seen a few non cups I instantly dismissed due to not being cup model. Suspension aside - isn't the difference between brakes quite different between the two or not?

The brakes are exactly the same - no difference whatsoever between Cup and non-Cup, and also 197 and 200 :thumb: The OEM brakes are very good as standard - a simple change of pads can improve them even more, though.

As @///M says, if you are serious about tracking it a lot, you will want to upgrade parts anyway, whether you got Cup or non-. It's such a small difference between the two that you're better off buying the best one that suits you based on budget and condition.

Reactions: ///M

Missed this. The only real benefit to a Cup car is the slightly better suspension and touch of weight saving. But the regular car is still extremely capable in standard form. Would be silly to make extra effort to go for a Cup, then do a few track days and realise you need to upgrade the suspension anyway.

As for brakes, honestly, they're the very last of your worries. The standard brakes are superb and as Jimmy says, the only thing they need is pads really. The Clio Cup race cars don't modify the brakes at all.

Reactions: Jimmy
Thanks again guys. Starting to make sense of it all. Is it just me or is this (albeit high mileage) too good to be true? Price is low considering it's one owner fsh with belt already changed right? Also the white brakes different from the red ones?

Thanks again guys. Starting to make sense of it all. Is it just me or is this (albeit high mileage) too good to be true? Price is low considering it's one owner fsh with belt already changed right? Also the white brakes different from the red ones?

Is a link missing from that post, Dave??

The white brakes might just have been repainted, so there probably won't be an difference.

This is another one thats been for sale over 6 months
which i was interested in
i quite like this
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201605043616315?price-to=4500&model=CLIO&price-from=3000&fuel-type=Petrol&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&sort=price-desc&make=RENAULT&body-type=Hatchback&postcode=wf34hl&quantity-of-doors=3&advertising-location=at_cars&page=

So anyone active at present. I'm trying to decide between this one linked above which has no mention of belts being done or clutch etc but looks ace and low miles. Alas no recaros though.
Or the one for sale on here? F1 blue. High miles but belts and clutch done with receipts plus recaros

Yellow one £4700 cat d with 80k ok it's an f1 but you can do better for the money
Still think the blue one is nicer