New to this site..

Hi everyone, been looking around the site last week or so thought best sign up and say hello. Im looking at getting a 197 but im stupidly picky about what i want and been looking for a while. Have always loved lil hatchbacks grew up on 106 gtis n modified ones of them ha good times! But im loving the 197 and went for a test drive n was hooked to be honest. Im going to be doing a minimum of 40 miles a day and mostly a/b roads so there were a few cars i looked at, Integra Type R DC2, Civic Type R (EK9), and Clio 182 Trophy. Budget being to buy and insure £10,000 maybe more if the "perfect" becomes available. Well an introduction to me i spose is due. My names James but most people call me Jim, im 23 and live in Milton Keynes and work in Oxford as n Electronic Engineer. Any tips or advice to be given one buying a 197 would be great help! I know quite abit about cars but clios are new to me to be honest. I have read up on them alot and few things id like to ask you guys. So here are a few questions any answers would be a great help thank you.

The "kangaroo" Is that fixed in the later 08 gearbox models?

Is white only available in the cup?

Does the cup have the push button start?

What service is the cam/aux belt change done?

What is the ride like in the cup like speed bumps ok? B roads to bumpy?

I have read various comments and reviews that say different things so just looking for the owners points of view ha. This site seems great and ive had a good look round and i love the photo of month feature! Anyway thanks for reading.

Hi Jim welcome to the site. The kangaroo fix is a software update done by dealer. White was available on all models - cup or not. There are not many non-cupped white ones around but they do exist! The cup has a normal key with no push button start. Not sure on belt changes. The cup is pretty stiff but you get used to it ! :smile:

Welcome to the site jim.

The "kangaroo" Is that fixed in the later 08 gearbox models?
*It's a little better but still there.

Is white only available in the cup?
*no, available in full fat too.

Does the cup have the push button start?
Nope, key start.

What service is the cam/aux belt change done?
*5year.

What is the ride like in the cup like speed bumps ok? B roads to bumpy?
*hard but not too hard.

Aha awesome quick replies! Thank you ever so much. So its not so bad buying a earlier one like th 56 plates n up? White looks nice but all i see is the cup ha. I used to have 106 gtis on 60mm billsteins ha i know the bumby ride well! Was great fun but got bit too much vibration on the steering wheel on the bumps n speed bumps im gueesing r fine on the standard cup?

Colours i like are the blue, bright red, white, and maybe the dark grey. Sorry not 100% on the actaul paint names ha new to them! I love th push button but i want cup suspension haha. Thought about the r27 i think it is with the decals but they arnt my cup of tea really on black its nice but still not for me.

Lastly Jase, that spoiler on your car in the pics? What n where did u have that done??

197 colours...
Albi blue(darker metallic)
Racing blue(light blue)
Nimbus silver
Deep black
Ultra red
Liquid yellow(r27)
White

You can get a normal 197 with cup chasis, doesn't need to be a cup. That way you get push button start and toys.

My spoiler is the Renault dinamique spoiler, it's part of the kit for the smaller engine Clio.

HA you certainly know your stuff! 106 gti help n im there if you need it ever ha. Well the ones i like are

Ultra Red
Albi Blue
Maybe Nimbus Silver

The spoiler then im guessing was a buy n body shop job? If so how much was it as i think looks really nice n subtle. SO u can get just the cup chassis with all the toys? Know of anyone selling one in that colour ha

The rear spoiler is actually a straight fit(tailgate is same on all mk3 Clio)
My front splitter is from the same kit but is not a straight fit(took me around 4hrs to make it fit)

The are a few 197 in the cars for sale section as well as other places, prices are dropping at the moment with the 200 being out a while now.

Aw right well i think it looks really nice your car a very good spec and example of how to build something a lil special! Im now decided the spec i want

Cup chassis
All toys
Ultra Red, Albi Blue, White or Nimbus Silver
40k or less
Full service history and HPI clear!
Not 100% on seats yet havnt sampled the recaro buckets but they loook good!
Air con
Perfect paintwork n decent wheels
Standard as possible aswell

and price im looking at is 7-9k

you may scrape a R27 at the top of your budget. That way you get your toys, cup chassis, you can have red, blue or nimbus and you get the very sought after Recaro seats as standard :wink:

Welcome matey, you are very specific about what you want arn't you!! I think all your questions have been answered already so i'll just say welcome to the site! lol :thumbup1:

Got to be an Ultra Red! Lol! Seiously though, I don't think Renault did a bad colour for the 197! Welcome to the site anyway, I hope you find you're ideal car. I wouldn't go for the cup chassis if you're doing more than 40 miles a day and don't intend to track the car. But it's only my opinion at the end of the day!

Ha thanks for the welcome guys much appretiated! I am so unsure of the black ones just i have seen a few and they dont stand out but when they are all polished and shine oh they look goooood! Thanks for the pistonheads link sadly had sold when i looked ha. Also the comment about not tracking i probably will be ha and its all about the handling for me! Im leaning towards the cup though after a conversation with a friend regarding the keyless entry etc. Can you overide the locks and just lock it or leave unlocked, most dealers i have spoke to are useless. Test drove one other day that had cup spoiler and push start so i asked does this have the cup chassis/suspension he had no idea what "cup" meant... Bad times ha. I love the idea of the R27 but the graphics ruin it in my opinion and no offence meant there to owners! Red and the blue i feel look amazing and the nimbus i keep changing my mind, one day i love how subtle and classy and sporty it looks the next i can find it bland. Im useless and picky ha. I love white with the gloss black speedlines i think they are amazing but the cleaning on the daily factor is a put off ha i also drive a white van so i know how bad they are! Ive worked out a rough idea of miles a day being 50. Do people who own the cup find it harsh on A/B roads or silly amounts of fun? I loved my previous cars when they had lowered and stiffened suspension only problem was the bottoming out on speed humps and country roads dodging every lil hole. Thanks for all the help and welcomes its great to finally have people who know so much about the cars. I feel tad rude not being able to offer much ha. Any televisions/av equipement or even 106 gtis questions feel free to ask away.

If you still like the idea of a R27, there are a few out there that only have the decals on the bumpers. You could have them deleted when you ordered the car. That got rid of the roof and door ones, but the bumper ones remain.