new pocket camera.?

jase

Founder
Platinum Member
wanting a new camera for christmas.
just a cheapish one that i wont worry about taking on holiday/out at night or letting felix use.

needs to be slim as poss, high meg as poss and as much zoom as poss.

im thinking the olimpus fe 5050.
14m, 5x zoom, 1.9mm thick, 2.7" screen.

cheapest i found it on net is £97.83(£139.99 in shops)
anyone else got any more recomendations or find it cheaper.

My dad and sister both have canon compacts and they're fantastic. In reality most of the time the image quality isn't far off my canon 400d SLR.

I'm not sure about the cost but as a brand I would highly recommend canon

yeh my camers is a canon, they are good but not seen one at same spec as 5050.

been looking at sony but the screen quality is pants next to the olimpus.i know this doesnt efect the picture quality but it helps my decision.

Its so easy to get hung up on specs but in reality they're only part of what makes a great camera. Lens quality is massively important and that won't show up on any spec sheets.

I can't suggest any specific models but I'd just have a look at what's available around your price and read the reviews, look at sample photos. Canon and Nikon make the best consumer DSLRs, I'm sure they use some of their DSLR technology in their compacts which is obviously no bad thing

As far as compacts go, ive been really impressed with the Panasonic Lumix range. The picture quality is fantastic!

Lol I was about to suggest the Lumix. It is the one I have been using and some of the photos are amazing!

They are about double what you were looking to pay though! I should be upgrading to another Panasonic because I am so impressed.

I have the TZ-5 and it is nearly 3yrs old now but there isn't many differences between that and the TZ-10 - on paper at least, I dunno if it has new sensors or other stuff but the zoom and pixels are very similar!

My missus bought this Fujifilm camera around 2 years ago now. I'm sure its been superseded by a newer model, but I would highly recommend Fujifilm as a brand. Excellent quality, brilliant battery, easy to use and great pics.

Camera Here

i'd go with a canon ixus 130 or 105, they feel really solid and a bit more grown-up somehow than most small cameras, i have the ixus 75 (a bit old now) but it's good. they feel expensive too which is nice for the price point