New noise developed under the bonnet ...

If you haven't already sorted this, it sounds exactly like a problem I had. I even posted a question on here about it. I had mine fixed for £140ish as far as I can remember. It was only the tensioner

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If you haven't already sorted this, it sounds exactly like a problem I had. I even posted a question on here about it. I had mine fixed for £140ish as far as I can remember. It was only the tensioner

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not yet sorted, but the issue was diagnosed as the clutch rather than the belt/tensioner. I've bought a new clutch + slave kit for £190

ETA: Found your old thread and had a listen to the video. It's the same/similar ticking noise, which I believe is the dephaser pulley. But mine also has a high pitched whistle/squealing noise when the clutch is out. Soon as put pressure on the clutch it stops. Probably isn't too apparent in my video, but that's the noise I'm chasing a fix for rather than the ticking.

Last edited:
It's probably worth me asking here as well - while the clutch work is being done, is there anything else that's cost effective to do while the clutch is being changed?

May be worth replacing the exhaust manifold since the subframe needs to come off, if your flexis are blowing.

Update:

Nothing major to add at the moment, spoken to GF's Dad who isn't able to do the work (expected this really).

Spoken to my usual mechanic today who's tied up for a bit but will fit me in, in a couple of weeks. He said the clutch wouldn't fail, but the noise may get worse. I can live with that for a bit I guess.

Clutch Kit + Slave Kit was already purchased for £192 delivered - just the labour cost to worry about now.

Update: Had a call from mechanic this morning - £250 labour costs for the clutch change which is about what I was expecting, sort of budgeted ~£300 in my head. Booked in for 11th July.

Clutch change is complete.

First impressions are great! Clutch pedal is much lighter than it was before making the car much easier to drive (it was pretty heavy before). Gear changes much smoother as the clutch engages (disengages?). And the dreaded squeal that started this whole thing is gone :smiley: and the car seems to vibrate a bit less now too (I have all but the upper powerflex mount installed)

Worn track rod end was also diagnosed and changed which had cured the front end knock and car feels much tighter to drive. The tracking does need some adjustment now though, wheel is slightly off-center.

Mechanic commented the gearbox had definitely been off the car before, although for what reason couldn't be determined.... not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I'm going with good for now and the assumption maybe the gearbox has been done at some point in its past...wishful thinking...

Some pics of the old parts - they don't look that bad to me... although I couldn't really tell you what a "bad" clutch looked like unless it was destroyed into pieces!

25ai8hc.jpg

5amb9e.jpg

3d8q0.jpg

Good to hear...

Nothing in old receipts about the gearbox being off then?

Nothing at all. The only thing I did notice was the clutch that came out is branded with LUK - not sure if this is an OEM part (I know Euro Car Parts sell them)? It could potentially of had a clutch replacement in the past?

Would seem likely paperwork would be present if something big was done though... although I guess not all people are good with keeping stuff

Sounds just like mine:

Going to get my slave changed out and hopefully sorts it

I'd agree that sounds identical. Do you find that the noise stops when you push the clutch in? - if so then it's almost certainly the same thing. Due to the labour involved it was economical at the time to replace both the clutch and slave - so it may be worth considering that if you haven't already.

I'd agree that sounds identical. Do you find that the noise stops when you push the clutch in? - if so then it's almost certainly the same thing. Due to the labour involved it was economical at the time to replace both the clutch and slave - so it may be worth considering that if you haven't already.
Yeah as soon as i rest my foot on it the noise stops. I've sourced a slave for £40 from a member and will probably get a clutch too

Reactions: CallorFold