New Member thinking of getting a 197

Hi All,

Im charlie & im 19 from portsmouth

Basicly im thinking about getting a 197 clio.
I test drove it & really liked it but was disapointed about the low end torque.

Is there any thing i should keep my eye out for?
What are the main issues that occur with the 197's?

Cheers
Charlie

Welcome mate
How old you looking at???
5 yrs make sure it's had cambelt changed

Gear boxs were a problem with the early 197s ask if it's been changed
Then it's just the normal stuff
Has it got FSH???

Gear boxs were a problem with the early 197s ask if it's been changed
Then it's just the normal stuff
Has it got FSH???

Heres the listing mate

3 Doors, Manual 6 speed, Hatchback, Petrol, 42,000 miles, Metallic BLUE, MOT-06-2012. Front and Rear Brake Discs Fitted, New Cambelt And Aux Belt Kits Fitted, Cup Suspension, Cabasse CD Player, Full Renault Service History, Air conditioning, Immobiliser, Metallic paintwork, Audio Controls, Front Fog Lights, Electric front windows, Twin air bags, Remote Central Locking, Power-Assisted Steering, Hpi Checked, Rear headrests, Traction control, 6 Speed Manual, Cup Holders, Part Exchange Accepted, Taxed 31/08/2011, Isofix child seat anchor points, Trip computer, Xenons, Electronic Climate Control, Electric Folding Door Mirrors, Auto Lights

I know you didnt ask the question but have you checked if you can get insured?

If it is an 06 plate then it only has Cup chassis if the guy has fitted it himself, it wasn't available until mid 07 iirc.

What colour are the brake calipers?

Yes mate i can get insured.

I currently have an E46 3 series so insurance is nearly the same.

Done exactly the same as you mate, 19 too and got rid of the 3 series for Clio 200! The clio is a few insurance groups lower than the beemer too haha

Welcome!

Unless you were running an M3, don't expect to save much on fuel. 30mpg is generally the best you will get, with lots of people averaging mid 20's.

Unless you were running an M3, don't expect to save much on fuel. 30mpg is generally the best you will get, with lots of people averaging mid 20's.

When i test drove the 197 i was ragging it abit and it was getting 28mpg...
Stuck it at 80 for about 2mls and got 34mpg

Currently in the BM i average 24mpg around town and 32 on a run.

Normally get about 40odd mls to £10.

Your fuel economy on the 197 will probably work out something similar than. Also factor in you really need to run it on 99RON to minimise the lumpiness when cold.