(new member) Gearbox issues - flabbergasted!!?

RJA - I might need your case number on this one shortly :worried:

As for accepting an offer - under UK Consumer Law the manufacturer is obliged to replace/repair at no cost to the purchaser any product which has developed a fault through a manufacturing issue/defect. If there is a proven history of such problems then the manufacturer is going to find it very difficult to fight any such claim if it ever got to court.

This is a proven course of action, and whether a product is in warranty or not has ABSOLUTELY NO bearing on matters. The reason being that the product has essentially been sold faulty/not fit for purpose from the off.

I assume this is why Renault UK are offering some people quite significant contributions.[/QUOTE]

i would concur with that sentiment.....been loads of tl4 boxes break :nope:

This is a bad time for me as well (is it ever a good time?), as we're going through a house sale at the mo and I'd actually planned on changing cars in about 2 months time :worried:

I realise I could've just not used 4th and then p/x'd it, but I can't bring myself to do that morally.

Does anybody have any further information on RJA CUP's case? A claim number? In the same situation with my 197 and Renault are being very stubborn and refusing to accept the fact that there gearbox is faulty...

Nice to see Renault do something decent and it paid off. Fair play for sticking it out.

All the talks about misuse and all that, well unless I'm wrong, are all products not usually tested and have higher tolerances built in to avoid just that.

Out of curiosity, did you find out the statistics on failures vs units sold in the UK

Hi all.

Having the same problem with RUK right now. I did also ask how many TL4 boxes have beem replaced but they simply said this was confidential renault information which I wasnt entitled to know. As we can see though there is some sort of problem and they must also recognise this hence the offers to contribute to costs outside of warranty.

Would really appreciate a pm with any info you can give me rja, if you have a reference no or reg no of the car I could mention it would help alot. Do you have any emails or letters you sent either?

Thanks,
Harry

I'm having the same problem with Renault uk atm. The car has been in a Renault dealer being looked at, and they can see there is a problem with the 4th gear syncro. I'm not going to name the Renault dealer but I didn't find them one bit helpful at all :worried:

Renault uk said that because the car had been serviced outside of the Renault network and was bought privately and not through a Renault dealer that they would put this done to driver error and the car being driven *aggressively*. The girl I dealt with from Renault uk said there isn't a common fault with the gearboxs in 197's but clearly as we can all see here there is. I'm going to get back on with Renault uk and see if I can get anywhere with them.

I'm having the same problem with Renault uk atm. The car has been in a Renault dealer being looked at, and they can see there is a problem with the 4th gear syncro. I'm not going to name the Renault dealer but I didn't find them one bit helpful at all :worried:

Renault uk said that because the car had been serviced outside of the Renault network and was bought privately and not through a Renault dealer that they would put this done to driver error and the car being driven *aggressively*. The girl I dealt with from Renault uk said there isn't a common fault with the gearboxs in 197's but clearly as we can all see here there is. I'm going to get back on with Renault uk and see if I can get anywhere with them.

Being serviced outside the network shouldnt mean a thing providing you've stuck to the correct schedule and oem parts.
Kick up a fuss over on the renaultsport forum, is worth copying and pasting your post there.

So many have been replaced it's amazing they still get away with the denial.

get them to explain in writing what influence not having the car serviced in the renault network does to the gearbox....there is no service items for the gearbox - its a "for life component"!

what about those dealers that buy off private individuals and then sell via the dealership...does this make them not under warrranty...i think not!!!!

That is typicall main dealer crap. We serviced a mini and found it had a knackered wheel bearing. Owner took it back to BMW and that made a massive deal out of the fact an independant had serviced it before doing it anyway. The gearbox is quite clearly not fit for purpose. If it can't stand up to the use of a standard engine it must be already stretched to its limits. Essentially the selling point of especially the cup was it was a weekend track car as used it the Clio cup racing series, whether this was actually stated or not. I've run rs turbos, cosworths and a focus with nearly double the standard bhp and not had a minutes trouble. I love my Clio but there is no getting away from the fact that they are a poorly built weak car. Sorry to upset anyone. Renault should just hold its hands up and recall on these known faults. I had a new set of alloy wheels on my navara due to instances of cracks appearing in a few models and I'll bet it wasn't anywhere near the number as of people complaining about gearboxes, seats, steering wheels and gloveboxs on their clios. There may be the odd instance of some bad driving but a gearbox should be strong enough to take a bit of stock. Have you seen a delivery driver driving a merc sprinter !!

Why dont you get RUK email from who you are dealing with & copy & paste the entire gearbox poll fault thread over which is a LARGE sample size & shows 1 in 4 gearboxes have been changed

Steve

& LOL at driver error- driving aggresive!

So they have been in the backseat of your car since day 1?
& even so I thought they were supposed to be built to withstand hard driving & trackdays-

THe gearbox is not fit for purpose...

I would start going above the rep @ RUK towards mgmt-
I can get the names of the head honchos @ RUK if you want them-

S

Why dont you get RUK email from who you are dealing with & copy & paste the entire gearbox poll fault thread over which is a LARGE sample size & shows 1 in 4 gearboxes have been changed

Steve

This can certainly work with dealers. 2-3 years ago when I had my S3 VAG UK were refusing to admit that rusting roof rails were a manufacturing fault and refusing corrosion warranty claims. I surveyed everyone on audi-sport and presented them with the data, asking for a response and threatening escalation to trading standards / media. Copied in to head of customer relations and chief exec of VAG UK.

Lo and behold the whole forum suddenly got warranty claims approved and work done no doubt down to the worry of a potential equivalent of the coil pack media fiasco.

It took a lot of work and persistance on my part, and at no point did VAG UK admit manufacturing defect, but the compromise was dozens of people within the VAG forum community getting warranty work approved, saving each person £6-800.

Individually it's hard. Collectively it has much more impact.

Last edited:
if theres no isssues with the syncros, why have renault changed the design from two piece synros to a single piece syncro?

The names / email addresses of Renault UK management would be much appreciated if you have them available.

I plan to email with information gathered from this thread and see what their response is. I will then potentially escalate it to trading standards / watchdog or whoever can help.

As mentioned why did they change the synchros / gearbox if there is no issue.

Ah 4th syncro failure - mine went at 17k miles lol.

Let us know how you get on. If you need I can PM you my Reg no# as they acknowledged mine was bad straight away. I also logged a formal complaint with Renault so they'll definitely have it on their system.

Steve

The names / email addresses of Renault UK management would be much appreciated if you have them available.

I plan to email with information gathered from this thread and see what their response is. I will then potentially escalate it to trading standards / watchdog or whoever can help.

As mentioned why did they change the synchros / gearbox if there is no issue.

Perhaps establish a list of gearbox failures and outcomes using the info on this forum and supplementing where you need it - age, mileage, symptoms and result of warranty claims?

I would be trying to demonstrate;

(1) a pattern to the symptoms i.e. if always 4th synchro how can the general 'abuse' explanation hold as it would not always manifest itself with the same symptoms.

(2) clear precedent for action by renault - list of gearboxes replaced as faulty within warranty for the above symptoms and / or with contributions or FOC out of warranty.

and crucially;

(3) a list of people who are suffering these exact same symptoms right now without a satisfactory response from the dealer network or renault UK who are willing to act collectively to resolve this.

If renault offer say 60% of the cost and you can get them to put that into writing, is'nt that them admiting theres a fault?

Even if they say it's a goodwill gesture.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A New Members 3
I New Members 1
Red Baguette New Members 7
OutlawAsh New Members 1
T Clio General Chat 14