(new member) Gearbox issues - flabbergasted!!?

I purchahased a clio 197 that was 33 months old at the time with 21k miles on it - i have driven it on weekends only and have run up another 2000 miles.

I drove all my previous clios in the same style as I have the 197, the difference is that the others were used on a daily commuting basis so were under more regular use - all my previous clios also had multiple previous owners yet I did not experience any issues with the gearboxes on the 172 cup or 182 trophy (same box) or the v6 - and according to other owners experiences of the 197 and 200, there appears to be a fault with the gearbox.

I have never been to a track or driven a car like a track car, BUT isnt this type of car marketed as a performance model that is meant to excel ON THE TRACK, DRIVEN UNDER STRESSFUL CONDITIONS so the gearbox should stand up to hard gear changes even though I have not driven the car like this.

With regards to 'biting their hand off for 75% - why should I? The improved offer is an admission of guilt as far as i am concerned hence another offer at 5:25pm last night offering 95% contribution that again I turned down. I can only praise thier aftercare service and the manager I have been speaking to has been excellent in understanding my plight but I am determined to fight this. I have also emailed a letter of complaint as an auditable trail - will keep you posted.

well i am going to disagree on this one !

been in the motor trade long enough to know that there are plenty of gearboxes with weaknesses and poor materials used in the synchro hubs and baulk ring assemblies - i would say that the 197 box does have an issue with quality/material in this area !!

Yeah I shortened this for ease. Generally speaking there is a weak link in industrial drives, like brass / nylon gears etc, to save expensive machinery in case of jamming / seizing. There aren't weak links engineered into car gearboxes.

and according to other owners experiences of the 197 and 200, there appears to be a fault with the gearbox.

Speculation at best. Of course the drivers will point the finger at Renault and say its a bad box. I'm not blaming you, but only a small proportion of 197 / 200 owners have there boxes changes which surely indicates bad driving, not bad boxes.

BUT isnt this type of car marketed as a performance model that is meant to excel ON THE TRACK, DRIVEN UNDER STRESSFUL CONDITIONS

I doubt you will find any Renault sport literature that markets the car as a track car.

so the gearbox should stand up to hard gear changes even though I have not driven the car like this.

Again, you can drive quickly and smoothly. Why are you changing gear HARD?

With regards to 'biting their hand off for 75% - why should I? The improved offer is an admission of guilt as far as i am concerned hence another offer at 5:25pm last night offering 95% contribution that again I turned down.

Not an admission of guilt at all. Are you forgetting one vital thing? YOU ARE OUT OF WARRANTY and the problem developed since the warranty expired. Renault by all rights should tell you to do one. And you turned down a 95% contribution as well?!? You really need to think this through.

I can only praise thier aftercare service and the manager I have been speaking to has been excellent in understanding my plight but I am determined to fight this.

Fight what? So far, Renault have been excellent from what I can see. They offered you a £2500 job for £125 and you said no.

Again, please do not take this personally, but you really need to consider your options here. If Renault suddenly say no tomorrow, you're going to be left with a much larger bill. All the best with it.

Just noticed you've put this on CS.net as well, and a lot people are essentially agreeing with what I've written above. Good luck.

Last edited:
Im fighting to get my car fit for purpose and with no cost to myself.

I am glad people have their own opinions on this matter as thats what a forum is for, my opinion is that I shouldnt be paying for a new gearbox, Renault should as they originally fitted one that is not fit for purpose. They were happy to replace others.

varlski_uk i agree with what your saying about getting a £2500 job for £125! if i were in this position i would have defo said yes!!

However the rest of it about its peoples bad drving i have to disagree as i have never heard of so many ppl having gearboxes changed on a certain car, so it is therefore a problem with the gearbox.

If renault would of told him to get lost then they must know their gearboxes are fine but the pure fact that they are offering to pay for 95% surely says that they know the gearboxes have problems that is why they are offering so much!!

and that is why i am also demanding the figures to show how many of these gearboxes they have replaced against units sold. All of the other gearboxes that have failed are not down to abuse, its a design or manufacturer fault.

Yeah I shortened this for ease. Generally speaking there is a weak link in industrial drives, like brass / nylon gears etc, to save expensive machinery in case of jamming / seizing. There aren't weak links engineered into car gearboxes.

nothing to do or talking about weak links here !

material selection and durability more at fault - gone are the days when synchros and baulk rings were made of bronze type materials.

theres too many 3rd and 4th gear synchro hub failures here for it to be an "isolated" case - there is a fundamental design/material failing

can tell you're a trader :jedi:

whats being a trader got to do with it-

A 197 out of warrenty with a 2.5k repair bill-

Renault pay £ 2.375 You pay £125-

Im not being funny £125 is pocket money if you can afford a 10k car & should be built into the emergency funds-

Like I said what the hell has being a trader got to with it?

S

if i had the gearbox break and it was going to cost £125 to have it done....i would pay it !

whats the chance of them retracting there offer and you ending up paying it all???
all the best

Update on my issue -

Renault CS and Cardiff Renault have agreed to contribute 97.5% costs towards a replacement box and this will include 12 months warranty on the new box.

I have accepted this and can only speak highly of both Alison Bayliss from Renaut Customer Services UK and also Cardiff Renault Service team who are contributing 2.5%.

The new box was ordered yesterday and will be in stock by tomorrow - will be fitted on Monday next week when I have time to take the car there.

Thanks to all who were supportive and understanding towards this issue, hope this is a lesson to some who may come across similar issues. Others should also acknowledge that things like this are worth fighting for.

I can now look forward to enjoying the car again

Thanks
Rich

Did Renault tell you how many gearboxes have actually been replaced?

Does seem as Foxspeed has also explained with so many people having issues and boxes being replaced there is a manufacturing fault in either material or design....very interesting thread.

RJA - I might need your case number on this one shortly :worried:

As for accepting an offer - under UK Consumer Law the manufacturer is obliged to replace/repair at no cost to the purchaser any product which has developed a fault through a manufacturing issue/defect. If there is a proven history of such problems then the manufacturer is going to find it very difficult to fight any such claim if it ever got to court.

This is a proven course of action, and whether a product is in warranty or not has ABSOLUTELY NO bearing on matters. The reason being that the product has essentially been sold faulty/not fit for purpose from the off.

I assume this is why Renault UK are offering some people quite significant contributions.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A New Members 3
I New Members 1
Red Baguette New Members 7
OutlawAsh New Members 1
T Clio General Chat 14