(new member) Banging/knocking from the rear!

Good evening all,

I'm new to this forum and will post pics of my new 197 at some point in the near future. Just a quick question...has anyone come across a knocking noise coming from the rear when going down hill and over bump/pot holes etc...? I figured it might be the parcel shelf jumping but thought i'd try and pick your brains!

J

Boot lid. The catch needs adjusting so it pulls it closer to the car. If you try and move it yourself it will feel fine, but 9 times out of 10 this is the problem. Although some people have had problems with the exhaust mounts under the car.

As arran said, could be bootlid or exhaust mounts, in my case it was the exhaust mounts. Took it to Renault and they replaced them for me under warrenty, fine ever since touch wood!

I have the same problem. How do i know if is boot lid or exhaust mounts?

On mine i could hear the exhaust knocking on the underside of the car somewhere, but because it was the back box area i spent forever thinking it was the boot!

What i did to test it out and find out for sure was a little odd but nether the less it worked. Basically, find a quiet road no one really uses and make sure you can hear the sound to begin with. Then, get out your car, open the boot and drive over the same piece of road, if you still hear the noise (as i did) this confirmed for me it was the exhaust knocking slightly.

Next day it was in Smiths in Peterborough and they sorted me right out no issues.

On mine i could hear the exhaust knocking on the underside of the car somewhere, but because it was the back box area i spent forever thinking it was the boot!

What i did to test it out and find out for sure was a little odd but nether the less it worked. Basically, find a quiet road no one really uses and make sure you can hear the sound to begin with. Then, get out your car, open the boot and drive over the same piece of road, if you still hear the noise (as i did) this confirmed for me it was the exhaust knocking slightly.

Next day it was in Smiths in Peterborough and they sorted me right out no issues.

Good idea that! I was thinking just adjust the boot anyway, but that saves loads of time.

....I've wrapped some insulation tape around the catch as a temporary fix.....six months later its still doing the job.....

You have to remove the plastic trim on the inside of the boot. iirc, this is held in place by 2 screws at the top under 2 plastic covers and the 2 load securing eyes. Once that is off, loosen the bolts holding the catch on and move it further away from the boot lid (so it is more towards the boot floor). You might be best marking the central position of the catch for when you adjust it, so you get it back in the right place. Then replace the plastic cover. Not a big job, but can be tricky get the balance between being able to close the boot easily and not having the banging noise.

I have a similar problem. I wouldnt describe it as a knocking or banging. More like, kreeking or plastic on metal banging. It does seem to be coming from the boot though. Do you think this would be a similar issue?

Turns out it was a shock that has gone :worried:, Renault will cover it but only after being rung by the garage as apparently they wouldn't cover shocks in the final year of warrenty?!!? wtf!?!?!?

Oh right, good job you got it checked out. Ye, shocks are usually only covered for 2 years.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A New Members 3
I New Members 1
Red Baguette New Members 7
OutlawAsh New Members 1
RhysThomass New Members 0