197: New Fiesta ST

Had a little play with one of these today between some roundabouts up through second and third gears, roughly 30-70mph. Not much in it at all! Expected the ST to start pulling away with the extra torque but it didn't really. Very impressed that my going on 9 year old 197 can keep pace with some of the newer hot hatches. Tempted to get it on the rollers to see what sort of power it's making as it does seem to pull very well, I've read it can be hit/miss how much power these engines give but would be nice to know what she's making.

well said..same here..had a little play with one of these last year and was well surprised how my little clio performed...i pulled away actually....

As long as youll stay in the right power band i dont see any reason why the fiesta will pull away

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Standard vs standard when "pushing it" they are very similar. Rolling mid revs and then planting it will see the Fiesta walk away.

A MP215 equipped ST vs standard 197/200 will pull a few cars lengths.

Just come across this comparison which is quite interesting... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBXiVd2kTFc

Shows how much more flexible the turbo engine is in gear, but that's to be expected. When given the ability to use the revs though it really is quite close. I would have expected a mountune ST to show the Clio up quite a bit more than it does. Especially considering the ST also has a slight weight advantage over the Clio. Very interesting![h=1][/h]

Nicely done Sir.

I had a play with a mk5 gti (Yes different car but turbo, etc) and it mullered me a few times going from 2nd and 3rd a few times, I do mean mullered me!

Darn it.

Nicely done Sir.

I had a play with a mk5 gti (Yes different car but turbo, etc) and it mullered me a few times going from 2nd and 3rd a few times, I do mean mullered me!

Darn it.

I had a play with a random diesel Merc off a roundabout a few days ago, and he pulled away from me so hard i couldn't then read the badges to see what it was !

Haha you do have to be careful going up against turbo cars! The mk5 golf gtis are 197bhp standard so mapped and messed your prob talking anything from 230-300bhp.
A good desiel remapped can also be a fair wepon on the road. Lot of sleepers out there that's for sure!

Vauxhall Insignia always seem to want to join in the party these days... I see so many Insignia drivers getting up on their high horses driving around like lunatics and tailgating everything on my commute along the A14! Any Cliosport would blow them out the water! (unless its the 2.8T VXR of course!!)

Had a little play with one of these today between some roundabouts up through second and third gears, roughly 30-70mph. Not much in it at all! Expected the ST to start pulling away with the extra torque but it didn't really. Very impressed that my going on 9 year old 197 can keep pace with some of the newer hot hatches. Tempted to get it on the rollers to see what sort of power it's making as it does seem to pull very well, I've read it can be hit/miss how much power these engines give but would be nice to know what she's making.

I had mine on the rollers 2 years ago 70000 miles 8 year old at the time 189bhp. Well impressed. Going on the rollers tomorrow 82,000 miles il put the graph up of what it puts out.

Just come across this comparison which is quite interesting... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBXiVd2kTFc

Shows how much more flexible the turbo engine is in gear, but that's to be expected. When given the ability to use the revs though it really is quite close. I would have expected a mountune ST to show the Clio up quite a bit more than it does. Especially considering the ST also has a slight weight advantage over the Clio. Very interesting!

Just watched that - the 30-70mph in 4th gear test, if you're driving the Clio hard you'd pull from 30 in 3rd or even 2nd, not 4th. All that video does is show the Fiesta has more torque, which is a bit of a no-brainer really.

Personally I don't care how good the Fiesta is, they're getting like the "Limited Edition" Corsas, everyone and their brother has one. I see maybe one Mk3 Clio Sport a month, if that.

Agreed there Sean197, about 20 ST's on every residential street! No thank you.

The 197/200 just get under your bloody skin! One minute it's hate/love then LOVEEE, had mine a year and it looks like going to keep it another, nothing comes close without spending at least another £5k. Would love an e46 M3 but the insurance is genuinely laughable at 24.