New Entry-Level Clio Cup Series Launched by Renault and BARC.

That'll be me :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/JakeHonourRacing?ref=hl

Absolutely loved the first weekend of it! Cannot wait to get back out in the car for some testing before Croft in July.

If anyone really is interested in getting involved in the series, they are more than welcome to come and have a look at my car that I have built for the series. The conversion kit really has transformed the car!

Jake

cliosennastraight_zpsf2ecab95.jpg

cliosnett_zpse4d94e1e.jpg

cliosnett_zps16e0b961.jpg

What have you changed to stop it being road legal?

Have you not thought about entering How Fast? It would be good to see a comparison!

The only reason it isn't road legal is due to having no tax or MOT. But I'm sure if I were to tax and MOT it, then it could go back on the road, along with the correct insurance company of course!

I have definitely considered entering 'How Fast.' When is the next one?

Jake

Newbie to the forum here so hi.

Just an update on this subject. Round 1 of the Michelin Clio Cup with Protyre was run over the weekend at Snetterton. I think one guy from this parish was competing but I will let him choose to reveal himself, or not. What I will say is that he conerted his own car and ran himself (we ran with a race team mainly due to my ineptitude with the spanners).

Racing cars was a new experience for us (my son is the driver) and our newly converted 197 behaved all weekend once we sorted out a damaged exhaust. All of the road cars went home at the end of the day with no scrapes or damage. It was not carnage as some have suggested it might be. Nor for that matter was the main class of ex-TOCA cars.

All in all a great experience to be in the paddock. The event seemed well organised, prizes and press interviews for the road class and novices. Even a nice and well deserved "spirit of the clio cup" award given to your man on here for his true privateer attempt.

So we have been the guinea pigs, now we need more drivers. There are 8 weeks to the next round at Croft so plenty of time to sign up and convert your car. It will make track days look so tame! In motorsport terms, competition doesnt get much cheaper - and racing in an event with single seaters, GT3's etc there is plenty to watch.

I can put you in touch with organisers and/or teams and will offer any advice/support that I can. Its a very friendly paddock with competitors helping each other. Reminds me of the fun days of novice karting before it all got serious.

Feel free to pvt me for more info. Just for clarity, my only connection to Renault/BARC etc is my son being a competitor.

regards
Neil
car #21

Thanks for the that, would love to hear more from all the chaps involved in this as it progresses .

:thumbsup:

. It was not carnage as some have suggested it might be. Nor for that matter was the main class of ex-TOCA cars.

car #21

Not so bad on the sunday, just a couple of panels wanted :d

bulk_upload225_zps35f43a0b.jpg

Was a good day out.

bulk_upload222_zps9348fc8d.jpg

bulk_upload221_zps8b948129.jpg

Next round at Croft (near Darlington) next weekend 5/6/7 July. If anyone makes it there please drop by the SWB awning and say hello.
regards
Neil

Looks great fun. Roughly what are the costs involved?

As with any Motorsport deep pockets are needed mate. Iirc the kit to convert a roa car is approaching 5k (inc VAT), then you've got entry fees, transport cost, tyres, servicing so I suppose you could squeeze by on 12-15K

I guess its all relative as to whether you consider it expensive or not. We came out of top level national karting and this series is similar money. Really wanted to do F-Renault or F-Ford but they are way beyond our means without major sponsoship.

The advantage of this series is that it is a converted road car and runs on road tyres which seem to last well, maybe even get better as they wear. So in that sense it is very low cost. There are only 4 (double header) weekends that also keeps costs down.

We run with a race team so our costs are not the "cheapest", but I retired on the spanners when we came out of karting. Massive respect to Jake Honour (also of this parish) who is doing it all himself and can better advise you on budget though I suspect the number quoted above is about right.

Hi guys!
Glad to see this thread has started up again!

To give an idea of costs;
To run a race car with Scuderia Vittoria you are looking at around £25k for the season.

A road car with a team (like SWB Motorsport) for example, I'd estimate around £17 - £20k

As a privateer, like me, you would be looking at about £8k running costs for the year. I budget for £2k per weekend.
That includes race entry fees (£460)
Tyres £480
Friday test day
Then of course fuel & accomidation etc.

My first year has been much more than this.
The conversion kit inc cage works out at £5,700 inc VAT however there are ways to knock this down slightly.

Of course I had to buy full race kit too!

Then BARC membership and £900 regestration fees.

The sky is the limit really!

I rack in a lot of overtime at work (usually 72 hour weeks) so that is how I fund it!

Hope that helps and gives everyone an insight into things!

Jake

Fair play to you Jake, best of luck with it. When are you guys (if you are) visiting Oulton Park?

I wouldn't mind putting a face to the name and I make a mean brew as well. :wink:

Thanks mate :smile:

Unfortunately we don't come to Oulton.
We have done Snetterton and Croft is this weekend.

Then Rockingham in August and Brands in September.

Come along mate! Could do with a drinks maker! Ha

Hahaha I'll see what I can do!!! I work Tue-Sat but if your races are on Sundays then I'll have a trip down once I get my car back.