new and scared

Hi guys, I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now after deciding to buy a 197. I found an albi blue 58 plate with 4,500miles on for £12.5k which I thought was reasonable so went for it and took delivery on the 1st of February. Almost immediately after taking delivery 'CHECK ABS' and 'CHECK ESP' messages appeared, which the dealership put down to a faulty brake pedal sensor and fixed under warranty.
In the last 2 weeks, the following has also been fixed/replaced under warranty;
new boot latch (water ingress on old one),
new IR sensor on passenger door (keyless entry),
new headlights,
new pads AND discs on the rear,
injectors reprogrammed (unusually low idle).

So after a rough start the car seems to be in top order. Now comes the bad news...
The car was only supplied with one key, so I decided to contact the previous owner so see what happened to the other. He says when lookers macclesfield took the car from him both keys were present, but he then went on to tell me about the history of the car. To cut it short, it's on its 4th gearbox now, the previous owner was given a brand new clio200 to replace it, free of charge. Lookers have then gone on to auction the car which harrats renault of pontrefract bought, then sold to me.

4 gearboxes in 4500 miles? I'm very worried :worried:

Sorry to join you guys on such a low, I still love the car, a little.

Welcome to the site neil.
Sorry to hear you troubles.
May have just been previous owner can't use a clutch.

4 gearboxes on 4500 miles??? did he think it was semi-automatic or something?

Sorry but that i find hard to believe, and then he gets a 200 for free? lol i might go bust my box up now :tongueout:

Welcome to the site mate, they aint reliable but down the right country lane they'll put a smile on your face.

welcome to the site :smile:

First of all on the card, if the garage cant find the second key then I' be demanding a new replacement and both keys reprogramming so the old one doesn't work. And on the gearbox, that does sound a little odd. I could well belive its on its second, but forth that seems a little strange

Hello :smile:

To be honest, with the gearbox, id blame the previous owner...

My borthers mate had a C2 GT and he shagged 4 gearboxes in less than 10k, but thats because he drove like a total retard... not thrashing it as such... hes just useless behind the wheel...

Look after it, and keep on yop of the servicing, and now the intial problems have been rectified you may find it pans out to be a better car :smile:

4 gearboxes thats ridiculas, the last owner must have been driving it like a nutter or they prob couldnt drive lol

welcome mate i can see how dis-heartened you must be but dont worry just take it out and go for a spin it'll put a smile on ya face!!! and jaxx maybe right all the faults might be fixed now but do request new keys for it!

Nothing wrong in the way it came into the dealers hands...dealers regularly buy cars at auctions. They might not know the history of it. The key could have got lost at auction however i would expect if i was buying it off a dealer for it to come with 2 keys.

thanks for the welcomes guys, looks like you've got a good active community going on here. I just took the car out for a little run and it all feels tight, like a new car. Can't fault the dealership they've been amazing and there's not a single fault on it now.

welcome aboard Neil, seems like you've had a lifetime's Renault sport grief already, I'm sure evertything will be fine

thanks for the welcomes guys, looks like you've got a good active community going on here. I just took the car out for a little run and it all feels tight, like a new car. Can't fault the dealership they've been amazing and there's not a single fault on it now.

Glad to hear it, I was a little dissapointed when you said it was from Harratts Renault, mines in there today (wakey branch). And Iv just had a call from them saying they have remaped my ECU (bad on cold starts), given me a new seat (worn recaro) and are awaiting a new back window (broken heater element in middle of screen), and all without a single phone call or them trying to wriggle out of things.

Iv had nothing but praise for them lately. I hope things get better in the long run and as above that now its in the right hands with everything fixed it should be all good fun :smiley:

I just gave the car a good wash and took a few pictures (it's all stock so probably a bit boring :tongue_smilie: ).
IMG_0830.jpg
IMG_0828.jpg
IMG_0829.jpg

There's a few small marks on the paintwork (a stonechip on the bonnet, and 2 small scuffs on the wings) which I'm going to get refinished soon. Also, the rear nearside alloy looks like it's been kerbed on a high kerb (the pic doesn't show this brilliantly). Could somebody please give me some advice about getting this repaired so it looks as new? Or better yet, recommend somebody in the South Leeds, Wakefield, Huddersfield area that could repair it.
IMG_0824-1.jpg

Similar Thread Suggestions