Netbooks.

I'm gonna be getting a Netbook for christmas so over the past couple i have been looking at whats on the market. Does anyone on here have one?

Pretty sure i want an Acer one now, used to them as my laptop is Acer and i've not had any problems at all with it.

However the one i've been looking at is available in 2 guises.

Windows XP Home Edition and only 3 hours battery life

or

Windows 7 Starter Edition with 7 hours battery life.

Here you can compare the 2 - http://www.johnlewis.com/Shopping/Co...t4XLTEkZUm3QY=

Whats the advantage of Windows 7 over XP or vice versa. If i got the Windows 7 one would it be worth upgrading it to Windows 7 Home Premium?

XP is getting quite dated now and I am suprised places still sell it. I havent used Windows 7 yet but from past experience the Windows 'Starter' editions have never been brilliant so an upgrade would be adviseable.

I cant understand why there would be 4 hrs difference in battery life but I would say that longer should be a lot more convenient for you.

XP must be 3-4 years old now and with the rate that tech moves along at you would probably see a big difference. The best thing to do would be to go and try both and see which you are happiest with.

Windows XP is a little old, but it does work well, better than vista anyway. I'd be looking at windows 7 though. Its gettting great reviews and while the starter editions are poo you'll get all the service packs for free so it shouldn't be a problem.

Have you considered the Samsung netbook, iirc the DC10 is a great little netbook

I have a Samsung one and it's great. Battery lasts for 6-8 hours and it has a nice keyboard. Only thing I don't like much is the daft screen resolution (1024X600) and if I was choosing again I'd look very carefully at that feature, especially if you like changing your wallpaper often.

I'm gonna be getting a Netbook for christmas so over the past couple i have been looking at whats on the market. Does anyone on here have one?

Pretty sure i want an Acer one now, used to them as my laptop is Acer and i've not had any problems at all with it.

However the one i've been looking at is available in 2 guises.

Windows XP Home Edition and only 3 hours battery life

or

Windows 7 Starter Edition with 7 hours battery life.

Here you can compare the 2 - http://www.johnlewis.com/Shopping/Co...t4XLTEkZUm3QY=

Whats the advantage of Windows 7 over XP or vice versa. If i got the Windows 7 one would it be worth upgrading it to Windows 7 Home Premium?

I'm an IT Consultant with 10 years experience and would highly recommend Windows 7 over XP. I have 64 Bit Ultimate on my home media PC and 32 bit Corporate on my work laptop and have no complaints! Home Premium is the one you want so don't go less than that.

Simon's right about the Samsung net books . The guy that sits next to me at work has a white Samsung one and Windows 7 runs beautifully on it.

Hope that helps :0)

Cheers Stevo that was a great help, nice to know people take the time to help others out :smile:

Think the one that gives a longer battery life has a 6 cell battery instead of 3.

I've used both in the shop and got on equally with both of them but thought as said with technology always moving on i'm better going for the later OS.

Thanks.

My company tried to order XP the other day (one of our systems only works on XP) and got told its discontinued?

But I would go with windows 7 mate, i guess windows 7 is everything Vista was ment to be.

Cheers Stevo that was a great help, nice to know people take the time to help others out :smile:

Think the one that gives a longer battery life has a 6 cell battery instead of 3.

I've used both in the shop and got on equally with both of them but thought as said with technology always moving on i'm better going for the later OS.

Thanks.

No worries :0)

My company tried to order XP the other day (one of our systems only works on XP) and got told its discontinued?

But I would go with windows 7 mate, i guess windows 7 is everything Vista was ment to be.

You might want to try that application in Windows 7....the XP compatibility mode is pretty good with most apps :0)

I have an NC10 too, with upgraded RAM running Window7

I wish the screen was a higher resolution (like the HP2133 I had previously) but it's great otherwise.

Whatever you do, dont fall into the "free broadband" trap that several people i know have...

"Why should i spend £300 on a netbook when i can get it free!!!!"

Yes... but remember... 24mnth contract at £35 = £840!

Or you could spend £300 on the netbook and get a BB Dongle for a tenner a month = £540 over 2 years :wink:

I just bought a Mifi and have put the sim out of my dongle into it. Seems to work pretty well and I can use the iPod Touch if I don't want to carry the netbook about now.

Bought HP Mini 5101 (FU355EA) this Sunday.

11216-hpmini5101large.jpg

Also bought a 2Gb 800Mhz RAM, put on genuine WIN7 Ultimate x86, Office 2007 Ultimate.

Works great, BUT the only problem that I have is with some WIFI networks - it can locate them but can't connect even if I have the password...:confused1: